Containerized or bare root seedlings?

Started by BCCrouch, March 22, 2001, 09:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCCrouch

A question or two for those of you who have extensive experience with both types of seedlings:

--It is my understanding that containerized seedlings enjoy a 15-20% greater survival rate than standard 2-0 bare-root seedlings.  Is this correct?

--Factoring in the smaller size, different handling requirements, and greater survival rate, just how much extra should one be willing to pay for containerized stock?
On the plains of hesitation lay the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of their victory sat down to rest, and resting, died.

Bill Johnson

Brian

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but to my mind there is no great difference in survival rates between containers and bareroot stock.

I've been involved with tree planting from 1975 to around 1992, I think survival rates are dictated more by planting quality (making sure they are in the proper microsite, the roots are not exposed, the planting hole is closed,they are planted straight up and down), stock handling techniques(stock is stored in cool place, its well watered before planting, planters only remove one tree at a time from the planting bag or tray, trees are not accidently run over by trucks, dogs, moose, other planters etc) and overall stock health (no snow mold, root rot, etc.)as opposed to type of stock.

Survival is also effected by external factors such as competition for light and nutrients from other vegetation and soil moisture.

Bareroot has advantages in that it is possible to plant areas which have less than ideal site preparation and still have the majority of the tree above the damaging effects of the grasses.
For example we used to plant white spruce 2-0, or 2+1,in areas where we expected to have competition problems with poplar and white birch. We knew that the stock could survive in these conditions and would continue to grow until we were able to tend the site. We used to plant black spruce in similar conditions though it was generally preferred to have a little less competition.
The disadvantage with bareroot is that planting window is limited to the period when the tree is not actively growing. I my case we typically started planting bareroot around May 10th and tried to be finished by June 10th, stock was stored in cold storage or on site reefer vans to hold it at a temperature that did not permit it to flush too soon.

Container stock is easier to handle, and the planting window is extended. The big advantage to containers is to the grower who doesn't need a lot of room to grow a lot of trees.
Container stock generally required better quality site preparation and areas with little competition present, it was often necessary to tend container plantations before bareroot plantations.

The problem with containers is that they may be susceptible to root rot. An additional problem is that certain types of containers do not break down as they are expected to. This causes poor root formation and retards to development of lateral roots. The best container type I've seen to date is the peat pellet type with the nylon mesh bag around it or even just the straight peat plug.

I know this a fairly long post, but hope it gives you a little information. As I said at the start I'm sure we'll hear from some of the others on this board, and hopefully from those closer to where you are.
Bill
Bill

BCCrouch

Actually, Bill, by containerized stock I was referring not to self-contained seedlings, but rather to those grown in large blocks of styrofoam.  The seedlings are typically watered the day before planting and are extracted only a few minutes before they are planted.  The large styrofoam block is then shipped back to the manufacturer, used to grow your own seedlings, or is tossed into the trash.

I've heard of those self-contained plugs that are planted with the seedling, but I've never known anyone in Michigan to use them.
On the plains of hesitation lay the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of their victory sat down to rest, and resting, died.

Bill Johnson

Brian
Are those the stryroblock series of containers?
Bill

Don P

Hi Guys,  My background is in nursery and greenhouse as well as some tree planting for the forest service.  I would add that the main difference between bare root and container plants is that the container plants have not had their roots disturbed.  I've seen bare root plants butchered in the digging.  I guess it all depends on the care taken while lifting the seedlings. Michelle

Just got in "fancy trees" from Forest Farm in paper sleeves 2x2x6"...nice root systems. Michelle removed wrap when planting.
Don

Bill Johnson

It is true that bareroot is sometimes damaged during the lift, but then you also have the guys that lay a bundle of trees on stump and chop off most of the roots.
One problem I had with certain types of containers, such as peat pellets, on paper pots is that if you planted overwintered stock, the roots which had grown laterally had grown into the neighbouring pellets or pots. One solution was to have the growers cut the pallets before shipping to the field.
But often we got stock that was not cut, and the planters literally had to rip the plugs apart which tore out most of the lateral roots and ripped up the pots. It did not appear to effect the trees in the short term but no one is sure what will happen in 15- 20 years.
Bill

BCCrouch

Yes, I was referring to the styroblock series of containers.  As I understand it, the containerized stock does not lose many fine root hairs to desiccation, so they are less likely to experience transplant check.  Their smaller size, however, mandates that you really stay on top of competition.  What to do, what to do...   :-/