iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Prepper Garden spot

Started by Jeff, May 02, 2022, 07:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

It took almost 8 months to complete this video. Last summer we saw that our nearly 3 decade old above ground pool had become a risk of blowing out a rusty wall and potentially causing some unrepairable damage to our fence, back yard cabin and Timber Frame Pavillion. So, unhappily for Tammy, we began the removable last September. The plan was to convert the area to raise food. Our task was put to sleep, only partially finished, when Tammy's Mom past away 3 days into it. We had been doing video, but we both lost the drive to finish anything. This is the story, of then, and picked up again almost 8 months later. we decided to try and finish our prepper garden and we will! Next video will be from da U.P. cabin!
[
We tore out a Pool and put in a Raised Prepper Garden! - YouTube
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Great use of old stock. ;D Happy gardening to. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

What? Expanding already?

thecfarm

That is a nice piece of ground there.
No rocks!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

I found 2. :)  the rest is clay. 

SwampDonkey

Watcha going to grow, now that you have all that ground? ;D 

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

aigheadish

I don't know if this is a good spot for this but have you guys seen straw bale gardening? It's like an instant raised bed, appears to be to some extent self composting and seems pretty slick. I haven't looked into it a lot but after trying a poorly planned and poorly grown raised bed garden it looks like a decent thing to try.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

beenthere

Works great the first year. After the season is over, the work begins to get the old straw cleaned up and the place ready for next year.

But let us know how it works for you. tks
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

21incher

Looks great. Whatcha planting?  That's a big area for starting  out and wildlife control should  keep you busy. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

I think Jeff's deer population is similar to up here, about 3 deer every 25 square miles. My problem is ground hogs. :D

Jeff

My problem will most likely be coons and jack rabbits. I wont plant all that. Probably corn, onions, squash and cabbage. Friend Harold gave me a solar electric fencer. Ill put a low strand and a couple higher strands, and hang flagging tape to blow. I have no idea if any of it will work. Outside of the wire, I'm planting buckwheat.

aigheadish

I'm very interested to hear the results of the solar powered electric fence... Is it a pulser or constant zappy style or if something touches it it goes? (I don't know if such a thing exists) Does it have a battery? 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Jeff

Ive as yet not gave the charger any attention past picking it up and hearing it going snap snap snap snap as it was brought into the sun for the first time in several years. I put it in the back seat and that few moments in the sun had it still snapping for the 6 miles it took to get home. 

Tom K

I have used a couple different solar fence chargers. The small combination unit with the build in solar panel will have a battery so it also works when the sun goes down, which is when you need it. These chargers don't really have all that much punch so try to keep your fence length shorter. I gave my small one to a buddy and he uses it every year to keep the coons out of his sweat corn patch. Most chargers should be low impedance pulse chargers. Make sure you properly ground the unit so it works right, you may need several ground rods depending on soil moisture and type.

I also have a larger 120v/12v charger that can be plugged into an outlet or run off of a 12v circuit. I set up a small solar panel and a deep cycle battery and it was sufficient for a small 5 acre pasture with 3 hot wires.

Note, these units run 5,000-12,000 volts, do not try to check the voltage with a multi meter! Most farm stores will sell a meter the check how "hot" the fence is.

Jeff

The plowing of the plot is in this video. 

Last week, Sawyer my dog and I spent some time getting ready to put the garden in here at the U.P. cabin. Which I need to go out and plant now! But here I am, putting random video clips together from the week instead. This may be the silliest video I ever made, so I'm double duck daring ya to watch it! I like flying over the big tractor best!! Hope you enjoy the weirdness of it all! (Somehow)
Ducks and Cranes and Tractors and Thangs. I Double Duck Dare ya to watch it all!! - YouTube

Thank You Sponsors!