iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Window above the stove and width to height ratio

Started by Sedgehammer, May 15, 2022, 11:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

Wanting to put a window above the stove . What size you figure , especially the width & what sill height would you use ?
Necessity is the engine of drive

sprucebunny

I have a window over the stove. About 5 foot wide triple casement set about 4" above the Formica backsplash.It has pieces of polished marble for the sill and trim. Pastry slabs I sliced up. The stove has no backsplash sort of thing.

You are not supposed to have an opening window within 3 feet of the stove ( gas ones, anyway). I took the handle off the casement window on one side. If you have to have an inspection, you might look into it.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Sedgehammer

Quote from: sprucebunny on May 16, 2022, 05:21:08 AM
I have a window over the stove. About 5 foot wide triple casement set about 4" above the Formica backsplash.It has pieces of polished marble for the sill and trim. Pastry slabs I sliced up. The stove has no backsplash sort of thing.

You are not supposed to have an opening window within 3 feet of the stove ( gas ones, anyway). I took the handle off the casement window on one side. If you have to have an inspection, you might look into it.
it's not going to be openable . we have dust issues here , so hardly ever open windows . inspection won't be a issue

firefighter ontheside

I would think something like a window that is typically set above a kitchen sink, 36x36 set at 4' sill.  Will you have wall cabinets on either side?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Sedgehammer

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on May 16, 2022, 07:42:35 AM
I would think something like a window that is typically set above a kitchen sink, 36x36 set at 4' sill.  Will you have wall cabinets on either side?
yup . i'm thinking 2.5'x4' . we want to get a 6 burner stove though , so will measure those i guess and go off of those measurements for the width ?

Sedgehammer

stove is a 36" , so was going to make the window 40" wide and am wondering if a 30" height is too tall

or should the width of the window be what the width of the stove is ? if so , then what should the height be ? Maybe a 36" x 24" ?

I read that a 2:1 aspect ratio is typical but that's 2 in height to 1 in width . Not sure that should hold if window is wider rather than taller

Thanks

btulloh

Don't know about the size or aspect ratio, but make sure it's easy clean.  No mullions or whatever. It will get a lot of buildup from steam and oil and spatter. 
HM126

Sedgehammer

Quote from: btulloh on May 17, 2022, 05:48:30 PM
Don't know about the size or aspect ratio, but make sure it's easy clean.  No mullions or whatever. It will get a lot of buildup from steam and oil and spatter.
be vinyl window frame with grids inside the window itself . Not a slider either

sprucebunny

My stove isn't centered. Same window over the sink also not centered. I don't like wall cabinets very much.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Sedgehammer

Quote from: sprucebunny on May 17, 2022, 07:29:55 PM
My stove isn't centered. Same window over the sink also not centered. I don't like wall cabinets very much.

I can see that  :D

Sod saw

Have you gone outside and looked to see how high the top of the other windows are?  The other windows on that same wall might look best if all the tops are at the same elevation.  

How about looking at any other windows within that room, even if on other walls, to see how the tops line up.  Aesthetics plays a role in overall comfort in using (living) in rooms.  

Considering the height of the sill in relation to the stove is fixed because of the stove and counter height.  However, and this is the hard part, can you predict the future?  Will future new stoves be at the same height?  or will they be a little higher in the back?

We recently bought a new stove and it is now higher than the window sill. since the old one was from the 1960's and slightly lower.  The house and windows were built to the height of the average stove back then.

A window over a stove and/or sink is wonderful thing.

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Sod saw on May 28, 2022, 06:24:34 AM

Have you gone outside and looked to see how high the top of the other windows are?  The other windows on that same wall might look best if all the tops are at the same elevation.  

How about looking at any other windows within that room, even if on other walls, to see how the tops line up.  Aesthetics plays a role in overall comfort in using (living) in rooms.  

Considering the height of the sill in relation to the stove is fixed because of the stove and counter height.  However, and this is the hard part, can you predict the future?  Will future new stoves be at the same height?  or will they be a little higher in the back?

We recently bought a new stove and it is now higher than the window sill. since the old one was from the 1960's and slightly lower.  The house and windows were built to the height of the average stove back then.

A window over a stove and/or sink is wonderful thing.

North wall to the trees, so no one will be looking at the outside . Plus there will be cabinet around it , so aligning isn't as big an issue . I build in a 6" mechanical wall that is just above the back splash . works nicely for setting things on it , plus any electrical or can run through it , so that will be the window sill height 

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sedgehammer

yeah , didn't see that . i don't follow all threads that i posted in , so i use the quote to let them know i replied . i can't use the @ feature , as when i do i cannot type anything after it , so i need to do my reply , then go to the start and add in the @ 

Joe Hillmann

We have a window above our gas stove, with pilot lights.  The lights are constantly blowing out in the summer and the place constantly stinks of propane.  At this point I gave up and pulled the stove out 6 inches so we can reach the shutoff valve and shut off the gas after every use.  That is fine for the stove top, but it makes it very difficult to use the oven,  often it will take three or four times of lighting the oven pilot before the burner will light and stay lit, that can make it a several hour process.

Sedgehammer

Thank You Sponsors!