iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Sawmill - Crosswood model no.50

Started by ToplineMike, September 19, 2022, 09:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToplineMike

I researched sawmills for a month or so, and I decided not to buy one of the smaller hobby mills.  I ended up buying a Crosswood model 50 from an experienced sawmill builder from central Illinois.  I just bought the mill a few days ago, and sawed some lumber with it yesterday.  This mill is a tank.  Moving it to a temporary spot off the trailer was a challenge with my 39hp TYM tractor.  My main goal with a mill was to make 4' lathe and 12" hubs for my surveying business.  Now, with this monster, I'll be able to mill just about anything I want.  

Nebraska

Looks like you might need a bigger tractor if you max that mill out. Good luck with your project. :)

welderskelter

Congrats on the mill. Got me beat by a mile. What size engine on it. And wanting to know what is the best kind of wood is best for surveying lath. Also what dimensions are we talking about on the lath. Hope you have as much fun as I do with it.

bigblockyeti

I'd be interested in knowing more about that mill too, don't believe I've seen one in action before.  A third curiosity for what size the engine is?  Also, what diameter are the band wheels?

ToplineMike

Quote from: welderskelter on September 19, 2022, 10:00:45 PM
Congrats on the mill. Got me beat by a mile. What size engine on it. And wanting to know what is the best kind of wood is best for surveying lath. Also what dimensions are we talking about on the lath. Hope you have as much fun as I do with it.
The engine is a 22hp Predator, 670cc.  
For 4' lathe, the company that I was buying from used oak.  I don't think oak is the only wood you could use.  I made mine from ash, and I've seen others use pine, but a bit thicker.  
The oak lathe that I "used to" buy, are 48" long, 1 1/4" wide, and 7/16" thick.  

ToplineMike

Quote from: bigblockyeti on September 19, 2022, 10:28:50 PM
I'd be interested in knowing more about that mill too, don't believe I've seen one in action before.  A third curiosity for what size the engine is?  Also, what diameter are the band wheels?
22 hp Predator, standard 19" band wheels.

ToplineMike

Quote from: Nebraska on September 19, 2022, 12:15:24 PM
Looks like you might need a bigger tractor if you max that mill out. Good luck with your project. :)
Yes, my 39hp diesel tractor can lift around 2200 pounds.  I'll find ways to get the big logs up there!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!