iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Straight and Fast

Started by YellowHammer, September 29, 2022, 01:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

Here's a video lots of people have been asking for, how to saw straight and fast, and how to not leave sawdust on the board.

Sawmill Secret! How to Saw Straight and Fast! Learn From a Pro! HHA - YouTube
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

jpassardi

Another informative video - nice work YH. smiley_blue_bounce
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

OlJarhead

I was just about to post this in my thread!  and I will still ;)

In fact, I link to it in my next video (tomorrow)!  Fantastic video YH!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Resonator

Learn from a pro, class is in session!  smiley_book2_page
Will be watchin for that rooster tail from now on! smiley_thumbsup
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Ljohnsaw

Great video.  I'm on the opposite side of my exit but I'm gonna be looking now, somehow!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

terrifictimbersllc

Nice video. How do you check that exit deflection if you're at the far end? Can't really back up the band with the dragback fingers down.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Walnut Beast

Nice video! Didn't like the anti Don Bacon ad though 😊

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

YellowHammer

Quote from: Walnut Beast on September 29, 2022, 04:49:39 PM
Nice video! Didn't like the anti Don Bacon ad though 😊
?? Unfortunately I have no control over the adds, I don't even know which are played.
The exit deflection is easy to hear or see, as the band will make a "boink" sound and will jump noticeably when there is deflection at the end of the cut.  This can be seen even from the opposite end of the sawmill.  Actual, it's pretty easy to see if you watch the glint of the blade just as it exits.  I watch out for the jump on every cut, as as soon as the band exits the cant I do a dragback anyway.
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

beenthere

Good video, and basic good information. 

I use Adblock Plus and do not have to look at ads. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

Excellent camera work following the blade and the rooster tail!  Thanks for taking the time.

I find using the 7/39's they saw fast and clean out the sawdust.  The regular 7's saw slower and leave lots of sawdust but the redeeming quality is the cut is super smooth.  I think I like fast and no sawdust best.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Andries

Thank you, again, for producing such a fine video. 
The "bad chicken" clincher is terrific. I tend to get task oriented and tunnel visioned when milling. "Just two more logs!" Then spend time on the bad cuts with the jointer and planer. 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Peter Drouin

Just back the blade up without lifting the head. If it hits the log you're off, If you see light under it you're off. Without a drag back down. A lot of mills don't have one.
Roster tails are good to look at too.
Cut take the board off leave the head where it is and backup watch the blade coming back will tell you a lot too. With the washboard,
The set is off of your cutting too slow. Cutting logs with no knots [clear] will cut nice.
Nice video YH.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

customsawyer

Seems like we've had this conversation before. Good video.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

moodnacreek

Sawing really fast requires precision that most don't understand or have time for. That's why the real mills have a professional saw filer.

Cornerstone

Nice work Yellowhammer! I really appreciate you telling me what to look for to make me a better sawyer. 
Case 580SK backhoe, New Holland L228 skid steer, Kubota 900rtv, Home made band mill, 1968 Chevy C50 Dump Truck, 1972 C10, 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 dually, all sorts of motorcycles.
Ephesians 3: 17-21

SawyerTed

Quote from: moodnacreek on September 30, 2022, 08:35:49 AM
Sawing really fast requires precision that most don't understand or have time for. That's why the real mills have a professional saw filer.
And why good filers make as much or more than anyone else in the mill. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Stephen1

I always change my blade when I see the movement as it exits the log. It is my 1st sign the blade is dulling. I change the blade unless I am taking the slabs off of a Big pine with ugly bark. I will do all 4 sides then change the blade.
By the way good video!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

boonesyard

Great video, I never paid attention to the angle of the rooster tail before.
Sawed up 562bf of white oak last night and paid attention, very interesting. I started with a blade that had about 300bf on it and after a bit, I noticed the rooster tail was wide, spread out. Was still sawing straight but the engine load was climbing. Changed the blade and the rooster tail was a fine straight stream, engine load dropped by 10% at the same feed speed. Great stuff!

Thanks YH
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Hilltop366

Starts in D for a second and then goes up to Eb (E flat) or really close.  smiley_guitarist

YellowHammer

Nice.  I love the sound of a good band in the morning!

The bad chicken thing just popped in my head, but sometimes it's best not to cook a stinky chicken!

YellowHammerisms:

barbender

If I didn't already say so, great video Robert. You've done a great job editing on the few I've watched. 

Today was the first time I've had my saw fired up since watching this video. I put on a new band, rolled on a big knotty pine, and went at it. As it turns out, my rooster tail is rising out of the cut, and the band is resonating an E below middle C. The E I can live with, the off center roster tail is going to drive me crazy now that I know about it. Thanks Robert😑😂 Looks like I'll need to check by guide wheels etc to see why it's off center.
Too many irons in the fire

Cjross73

Very informative,  thank you for sharing 
LT40, Stihl saw, Old green tractor

tacks Y

Ditto on the video.

I end up with saw dust on a lot of my wood, thinking I am going to slow. I am never in a hurry putting on sticks as I saw. Do you think increasing my speed will clean up my boards?

Dan_Shade

I think running with a high feed rate is easier to do with plenty of horsepower.

My saw has a 25hp engine, I don't think I can drive the band hard enough to not have sawdust left in the kerf. 

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!