iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I can't sleep

Started by Sod saw, November 03, 2022, 03:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sod saw

Good Morning all,  Its Thursday morning and I am unable to sleep.

Yesterday afternoon I was called home, from tinkering on our saw roof, by my daughter.  There had been an accident.

Our next door neighbor, who was an experienced tree guy, was removing from his own yard a dead 2 foot diameter oak.  (alone)

The tree went about 100 degrees off course.  He didn't make it.

His wife was in the kitchen making him cookies and heard the thump that didn't sound quite right.  She. called my daughter then 911. I was summoned and my full expectation was of finding saw wounds.

No cuts.   He was unable to talk, his hip was displaced  outward many inches causing  leg and internal issues.

His wife & I watched him wither away while the medical experts were en-route.

Lesson for all of us:  While putting away his tools, after he was removed, I did notice that there were no wedges to be found.  The tree had been dead for about a decade and had shed most of its branches long ago. Did I mention that he was working alone?  No helmet and no chaps (chaps would not have helped here).

Please be careful out there, take your time, do not work alone (we all do it) and listen to your friends when they think that the tree is actually balanced to fall another direction .

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

customsawyer

Sorry to hear that. Prayers for the you and the family.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

That is a hard thing to read. 
Even worse being there seeing it. 
Sorry to hear about this.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

teakwood

I don't want to sound insensible but an experienced tree guy working without chaps, helmet and wedges? the accident sounds terrible
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

B.C.C. Lapp

I can see how that would keep you up Sod saw.  A terrible thing to see.  My condolences to you and his family.  
Let this be a reminder to us all. Every tree we fall is a danger and take nothing for granted.    
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

bigblockyeti

So sorry to hear this.  I had a live, healthy tree come back toward me about 160° from the intended path and I got lucky it didn't at least smack me a little.  I understand having multiple, clean and clear escape paths in case the unexpected happens but working with dead trees presents so many more variables.  I've gotten to the point where I'll almost alway just try to pull something dead down with as little cutting as possible.

I know witnessing this has got to be very tough, thus far I've been spared having to watch someone expire but those I know who have, it just never seems to go away.  I don't know how police, fire & EMS learn to deal with it so they can continue to do what has to be done but I applaud them for their courage to do what many others can't.

aigheadish

Sorry to hear this but it's a good reminder. 

I try to push trees over, as much as possible, with the backhoe. Even when cutting something live I've started putting my hoe bucket gently, high and on the side to direct the fall a bit, then cut my wedge, and try to push from there, so the tree never really releases until I can point it somewhere. The bucket is only just touching to make it easier to push when it's time, I'm putting no pressure on the tree while cutting. I do this because I'm not terribly experienced and scared.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Resonator

Sad thing to hear no matter the circumstances. Makes one value every day of life you get to live.

Logging is always ranked as one of the most dangerous jobs there is. Anyone who's done it long enough will have had some injury, or near miss, that scares the daylights out of them. If you work by yourself you have to be your own safety supervisor to reduce your risks, and walk away if you can't safely do it.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

upnut

Condolences to everyone involved, a very sobering reminder. So glad you could come here and vent, you won't find a more understanding group of individuals.

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

firefighter ontheside

I'm sorry to hear about your neighbor.  That's not a nice way to go and painful for the family and friends to have to witness it.  I can't even begin to guess how many folks I have seen pass away.  We are able to disassociate ourselves for the most part.  We do what we can and then go back to the firehouse and make dinner or whatever else we are up to.  I would be a mess if it was my neighbor or family.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

barbender

My gosh, I'm sorry for your loss, and for having to experience that. But also thankful that you could be there with him😢
Too many irons in the fire

Old Greenhorn

I am terribly sorry to read this. I am most sorry for you, the family, and the other folks involved. News like this should give us all pause as it's a terrible thing.
 Like FFOTS, I can't count the numbers either, but I do know how it affected me when I responded to do those fatal incidents involving folks that were personal friends. It takes a long time (for me anyway) to get over something like that and find a place for it in your mind. 
 I wish you peace. Should you feel the need to talk to someone about it, please do. I have a phone and can use it if you need. Don't pack it up hard, that ain't good.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

newoodguy78

Excellent advice OG. Like was mentioned above you've got an incredibly understanding group of people that will at the very least listen be it publicly or in private. Witnessing something like that is hard on anyone don't get down on your self for how you're feeling also don't be afraid to lean on people it will help. 
My deepest condolences are sent  to his family, yourself and anyone else dealing with this. 

Stephen Alford

So sorry to be reading this. My condolences to you and your neighbors family. I am sure your daughter and all involved were so glad you responded . It's tough to do but good on ya for being there for them .
logon

Sod saw

Friday evening,

Wow, what a great bunch of kind hearted souls you all are.

Thank you for your kind words and offers to chat.  Your support is much appreciated especially from you all who live thru this possibility each day.

This morning a crew of 3 arborists from Ithaca (about a 2 hour drive) showed up (no charge) after another neighbor reached out. They had the tree cleaned up and in my dump truck (2 loads) by noon.  It is now disposed of in one of our compost piles with saw mill refuse.   They were great working smoothly together as if they were one.

This morning his wife expressed a love-hate relationship with that tree (log).

Thanks again for all you do for each other in keeping every one safe.

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

Thank You Sponsors!