iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NJ Pinelands Fire Plan

Started by red, November 27, 2022, 11:45:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

There is a news story titled . . Fire Plan Would Cut 2.4 Million New Jersey Pinelands Trees 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Clark

It shouldn't surprise us, with a title like that, that many of the people interviewed are against the thinning. I think they could have done a better job of branding the effort as a restoration project and not a fire plan.

One person claims to have studied thinning in western forests and said it had very little affect on fire severity. That certainly isn't what I've seen. Or the many studies have shown.

While I agree that the public needs to be involved they also need to be educated about the issues and given the opportunity to give input but not make the final decision.

Clark

SAF Certified Forester

bigblockyeti

^ I don't think there's too much danger of NJ embracing the public's decisions about public property.

Southside

I have been there, absolutely a fire danger, worse than out west when it comes to the potential for death and destruction given the number of people around and the road access, there is an amazing amount of fuel on the floor, very sandy soil that does not hold moisture well, and basically zero green material below the canopy.  What I find funny is earlier this year we were talking about the carbon credit program that some here have taken advantage of.  That program does not consider mature pine timber to be the best opportunity to capture carbon, their model is more of a forest in mid stage regeneration which will sequester the most carbon the quickest.  In the article some of the opposition to the harvest is this will be carbon negative when "the science" says the opposite.    

Where are they going to find folks to run all the thinning saws is the real question.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Clark

Quote from: bigblockyeti on November 28, 2022, 10:18:53 PM
^ I don't think there's too much danger of NJ embracing the public's decisions about public property.

Touché!
SAF Certified Forester

Rhodemont

I have ridden many endurance rides (horses) in the Wharton State Forest out of Shamong. Some of these require we ride into the night ..it can be pretty creepy at 10pm in the Pine Barrens.  Couple years ago just after starting out around sunrise we encountered the Forest crew setting up a burn in an area we had to ride through a couple times.  Later in the day we could smell the smoke as we approached the area and then came upon acres that had already been burned of all the low brush and a fire-line moving along at a good rate.  Needles to say the horses did not like that at all.  The forest crew had no notice there was a permitted ride that day.  Right Hand vs Left hand coordination!.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

beenthere

Might be that smoke smell is part of the endurance training for the horses? and the riders?  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!