The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: 5-Year Old Killed By Tree  (Read 7898 times)

Offline Black_Bear

• UMaine Black Bears
    • Share Post
Re: 5-Year Old Killed By Tree
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2006, 08:13:52 AM »
Many of my friends still work by themselves. I think it is a way of life (work or starve) and most of them do not think twice about it. 

Being cut by a saw used to be the least of my worries, although I must admit it happened once about 10 years ago. It was the debris from above that used to get ya. I've seen too many hard hats cracked in two (better than your skull I guess) and had one friend who had to get his ear reattached after some popple debris fell on him.

Hey, if it was easy everyone would be doing it. I don't cut wood everyday anymore and I miss it when I'm away for too long. I'm sure most of you feel that way.

Offline Phorester

• Forester
  • Can't have a healthy forest without cutting trees.
    • Share Post
    • About Forestry Forum Host
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2006, 10:06:52 AM »
Since this accident, there has been discussion among the firemen of another one that happened about 20 years ago.  A friend of mine was holding his 3 year old son on his lap while on his farm tractor. It was a true farm tractor, a tall John Deere. He was going for a little drive of only 100 yards from his back porch to the barn, and picked up his son to take along.  How many times have we heard not to do this?  But "it was only for a short ways......"

In that short space, the tractor bounced, he lost grip of his son, and he fell underneath the rear wheel, killed instantly.  This one was made worse because the father was also a volunteer fireman and every fireman who came on that call knew the family and the little boy.  My oldest child was about the same age as his, and the funeral was a real killer for me.  It was an open casket, I started down the aisle to see him and pay my last respects, but just could not do it. There is a good chance that this father also came on the rescue call with the 5 year old underneath the tree, but I don't know if he did or not.

How many times have we all done something like that?  Just a little ways..., it won't take long...it'll be fun.......etc.  Our lives don't cross much anymore, but I still see this friend occasionally, and with raising kids of my own, I can't comprehend having to live with something like this.

Take the trainings, follow the safety rules, use common sense, take nothing for granted, Be careful, be careful, be careful, especially when there might be kids around.
About.Forestry.Com forum host. Ya'll come: http://forestry.about.com/mpboards.htm

Offline WH_Conley

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to tide my profile!
    • Share Post
    • Stone Hill Hardwoods
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2006, 10:20:45 AM »
That's the reason I got out of EMS, ya can only take so many of cases like that til it's time to move on.
Bill

Offline mometal77

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2006, 07:14:22 AM »
A 5-6 yr girl was killed about a month ago when a 8 inch fir branch dropped on her in the park.  How sad to bring your daughter to the park to have fun and she runs ahead and you later catch up  i couldnt imagine.  Same thing happened a few years back when a father bought his son a dump truck one that was a double and after dumping you could put the back box into the front it got stuck and he put his head in to see what the fuss was about bad things do happen..
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets...I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Offline Max sawdust

• If it's got to do with making sawdust; count me in!
    • Share Post
    • truetimbers.com
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2006, 07:57:34 PM »
A 5-6 yr girl was killed about a month ago when a 8 inch fir branch dropped on her in the park.  How sad to bring your daughter to the park to have fun and she runs ahead and you later catch up  i couldnt imagine. 
Ya when I was 10 or so one friend and his little brother were "killed" by a freak accident.  They rode in the back of a pick up on a matteress going to the dump, and a Semi came by and sucked it out.  One was killed instantly the other I wished was :'( :'( :'(
They were two of my best friends I was 10 >:(  Just played with them the day before it happened. 
IT CHANGED ME.  Ya Ya never let kids ride in the back of a truck on a highway, but also ;D Enjoy those you love every day, ya never know when it is your day to die.   :-\  Especially us who log..
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Offline Warren

• Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord.... Col. 3:23
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2006, 03:01:19 PM »
Just read the post.  My heart goes out to the family...  and to the Emergency Services personnel who responded...  A child's death, especially a traumatic one like this, takes it's toll on everyone involved.

May God shed His mercy and grace on this family and give them comfort according to His will....
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: 5-Year Old Killed By Tree

Started by chet on Forestry and Logging

0 Replies
Last post January 22, 2006, 10:29:50 AM
by chet
xx
5 year old killed by rootball

Started by Skiddah on Health and Safety

0 Replies
Last post November 14, 2010, 09:08:58 PM
by Skiddah