iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trouble in paradise

Started by Texas Ranger, June 26, 2006, 05:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

DanG and Tom know what it is, and we talked about it, and we have 4 different things, so far, that the pond did for folks in  the old days, and no, not a WWI helmat.   

Ya got to be rural, to have seen one recently, and a carnivore.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

gary

Sawyerfortyish

Well now I always wondered what one of them looked like! But being born and raised up north we have no use for one. But i'm sure every time you boys in Florida and Texas get dumped on by a hurricane you know exactly where the lid to your shelter is ;). I bet it makes a darn good bath tub for the kids while your waiting for the power to come back on
Since the ducks look to big to fit a hundred in it I would have to say a hundred frogs would fit very easy. But how do you hold all them frogs still enough for a head count ??? Now lets see a frog pond a shelter lid a bath tub hummm what am I missing.

getoverit

I guess I dont get a chance to name it either since I'm not a yankee....but I'm jumping up and down over here yelling PICK ME !!! PICK ME !!! ;D

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

SwampDonkey

Ain't never seen one of what ever it is here neither.  smiley_headscratch

I must be too far north to have been scathed. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

joelmar10

I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

Max sawdust

Do you heat water in it and scald pigs or chickens?

I am very rural but not southern  :-\  So don't have a clue.  Us none southerners will get ya back.. We will dig up some Very practical Yooper artifact for all ya southerners to get stumped on :D
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

SwampDonkey

I suppose I could find some old iron that great grand dad pushed up onto a rock pile for a new whazit. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

Max Sawdust is close enough.  Hog scalding pot, wash pot, salt making pot, some may have used it for syrup, but probably only once.  And my favorite, boiling all the linen in the spring to kill the winter collection of bugs.

DanG says he has all the fixin's top put it back in production, but I aint hauling that thing over to Florida for nobody, stays right where it is.

It is markedt 100 gallons, and weighs in close to 500 pounds empty.  Was being used as a water trough for cattle when I got it.

Max sawdust

8) 8) 8) 8)
Do I get to be an honorary Southerner ??? 
(I like everything southern except the grits :D) 
That is one fine pot, Maybe DanG should take it with the rest of the stuff to make it complete up to Jeff and Tammy's for da Pig roast.  That would be a scene, bunch of FF members butchering a live hog and scalding it before roasting it :D :D
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

red

How is the Old Frog Pond doing ? 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

WV Sawmiller

I had not seen this before but looks like a salt kettle my ancestors brought over with them except I do not see 3 lifting rings to hook chains into to suspend it over the fire. With ours they hung/set it up, built a fire under it and filled it with salt/sea water and boiled the water out to leave the salt for their seasoning and preserving needs.

(BTW - do you know how to make Holy Water? Take regular tap water and boil the H_ll out of it. :D)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Texas Ranger

Quote from: red on May 02, 2022, 01:21:53 PM
How is the Old Frog Pond doing ?
Doing good Red, thanks for asking.  Frogs got the word out and they stopped coming, some one stole my alligator and the ducks.  Real quite around here, except for the humming of the skitters in the pot making little skitters.

For the uninitiated, a scalding pot was supported by rocks or bricks to be level, and a slope built on two sides opposite each other and the fire built around it.  They killed the hog, skidded it through the boiling water, hung it and commenced scrapping.  Or, salt pot, boiling pot for clothing critters in the spring.  Like all things on the farm, used for about anything you could think of.

I re read this conversation and laughed. 

moodnacreek

Our 'jug ah rum's' wouldn't fit in that scalding pot.

SwampDonkey

I hear the frogs around here now, only been a week of croaking. I here them out in no man's land to and still snow in the woods out there under the softwoods. 30 miles from the nearest town. NB has roads pretty much anywhere, logging roads.

Don P

I remembered these pics from Saltville, a little west of me. After the south lost the coastal saltworks this became the salt supply.

Thank You Sponsors!