iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Removing Whole Logs from developed Subdivision yards

Started by Kilometer, November 26, 2007, 08:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kilometer

Howdy Folks,

I am in need of a method for removing whole logs from cramped quarters like fenced backyards in developed subdivisions.  Do you know of a machine which can enter cramped spaces and bring down whole logs and not destroy existing lawn care?

We have huge Pine trees going to waste.....there must be a way.

Thanks,
Kilometer
Hou, Tx

Furby

Take a look at sponsor LogRite on the left side of the page.
They carry a wide range of log arches, and I'm sure they have one that will do what you need.
They may not have all the different sizes on their website, so give them a call..... they are great folks! :)

Oh, and welcome to the forum! 8)

metalspinner

One of Logrite's log arches pulled by a lawn tractor will get you into some tight spots for sure.

A little bit of rigging with a couple of snatchblocks and 3/8" cable have pulled some logs for me from some tight spots as well.  After they were pulled to the gate, they were easy enough to pull onto the trailer.  A skid mark will be left with this method, however.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum, Kilometer!

Tell us a little bit more about the trees you are removing. Are you taking them down? Are they left behind by tree crews, or blow downs? How big are they? I appluad the desire to salvage urban trees, sometimes there can be a few hurdles though. I see a lot of yard trees go to waste as well.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

woodmills1

I pick up logs for two companies who do just what you are describing.  One uses a track style bobcat with a grapple bucket.  It is pretty soft on the grass, only needing plywood on quick changes in contour.  The other uses a medium small Kubota with a small log grapple off the three point hitch.  It is a skidding style grapple, but will pick medium and small logs completley off the ground.  For big ones he adds a sort of dolly, a V shaped thing with wheels and a strap.  The Kubota with turf tires is very easy on the lawn.

However there are jobs that should have had a crane to start with.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Kevin

You may need to invest in plywood sheets or turf mats to run on.
As the machine advances the plywood is brought from behind the machine or log arch to the front.

logwalker

I got the impression from his post that the trees are still standing, i.e. how do you get them on the ground in sawlog length.

Quote from: Kilometer on November 26, 2007, 08:44:45 PM
  Do you know of a machine which can enter cramped spaces and bring down whole logs and not destroy existing lawn care?

Am I right? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Tom

The only sure way I know of doing the whole job of removal is with the use of a big crane.

Nate Surveyor

O, that's easy. Chinook Helicopter. Just tie on with the chopper, and the chopper pulls UP, while the chain saw cuts. POOF! the tree and all goes up!

http://www.carsonhelicopterservices.com/logging.html

(these things are so easy!) Sure wish I had a few choppers...

:)

N

I know less than I used to.

rebocardo

> removing whole logs from cramped quarters like fenced backyards

I use a Ford Bronco II and a custom made narrow trailer to get in and out of urban backyards and with normal sized P235/75R15 tires on both. I do not tear up yards or even damage the grass.

I just use 4LO and avoid lock to lock turns or dragging or pushing the trailer in tight turns. I avoid driving on muddy or wet lawns, which isn't too hard lately.

I have found when I want in, removing and replacing a fence is the way to go. It does not take much to remove a chain link fence as long as weeds are not growing through it. Picket fences take a bit more doing. But, where I wanted in, I have even made a gate for free for the right customers.

> in developed subdivisions.  Do you know of a machine which can enter cramped spaces

Bobcat makes tracked machines (36" width) you would use with a log arch, but, they cost a lot of money.

Probably the cheapest with a grapple and boom (to keep it off the ground) would be the 518. Way expensive though even used.

I think a small SUV (with front and rear hitch) with a custom made small trailer with a log lifter would be the best way to go unless you lived close enough to drive an ATV there.  Otherwise you would be trailering the ATV and log arch and then have to take all three home (log arch, atv, and log) on a trailer.

The things to avoid with a small SUV is donut cutter tires on the truck and trailer and to air down your tires before you go ripping across a lawn.

thecfarm

Seems like someone on here used old tractors tires across paved driveways to keep from breaking up the tar.Just have to take your time with these trees.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WILDSAWMILL

we took down a white oak from a ladys yard 22" at base  :o
she was concerened about denting her yard with the tree
so laid plywood down & cut limbs back to the trunk from bucket truck then doubled the plywood to drop trunk onto carried it out with home made arch worked well & she paid for the extra effort
Kascosaw2B

raycon

Not much detail in this photo but theres a grapple on there.Articulates as well.

Lot of stuff..

Daren

Go to the junk yard and make an "urban log recovery system". A heavy straight axle with dropped spindles, some scrap iron and a cheap 12V winch. $200 (?) and you are in business.I always said I would need/buy a nicer winch, but never have. The logs on mine are a couple 20"x12' cedars. I throw the winch cable over the arch (there is a roller) and use it to pick the end of the log on to the trailer. Then I straight hook them and just drag them on. It is only good for 1-2 logs...but I bet I have got 300 freebies with it over the last few years. I have a trailer and skidsteer (which tears up a yard real good) for several at a time. But urban logging is usually just 1-2 anyway.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Dan_Shade

how long is your rig, Daren?  I often think making up something like that would be a good deal for grabbing a log or two.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Daren

Without measuring it (kinda dark now  :D) It is about 12' from tongue to axle. The logs in the picture weigh 2500 lbs ?, and centered on the axle I can push them around the yard by hand. I have had some 20'ers hanging out the back. I have put some bigger dia logs on one at a time. The thing backs well, is light and snatches them. The biggest problem is hauling it empty. As light as it is (400 lbs ?) and the long tongue it bounces and rattles down the road. I have to go slow on the way there, on the way back it pulls good, the more weight the better. But again for urban logging I am traveling short distances either down country roads or city streets.
I think in a big city it may get looked at by the law, around here nobody cares. I have said this before, our chief of police borrows it to haul firewood logs (we have 2 village cops, both homeboys) I live in a rural community you see as many tractors on the road as cars. My little hauler is just another "farm implement"

Ironwood

HOMEMADE, and cheap. Could easily have a local welder/ handy guy make one up.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Kevin

Daren, I would guess those two  cedar logs would be closer to 1600 lbs.
800 lbs. each.

Daren

Quote from: Kevin on November 28, 2007, 09:04:34 AM
Daren, I would guess those two  cedar logs would be closer to 1600 lbs.
800 lbs. each.

Using the calculator here it says 968 each or a little over 1900 lbs for the pair, not 2500. I guess I was a little off, cedar is really light compared to what I usually fetch with the buggy. Cedar is the only softwood I will even go after. Around here it is mostly hard maple, walnut, cherry, osage, ash, oak, mulberry...One of any of those a 24"x12' weighs more than both the cedars in the picture.

I was not trying to exaggerate what it can carry, just too lazy to check the calculator before I posted and "guessed" 2500 lbs. Thanks for keeping me lined out  ;).

Haytrader

::)
Darin,

You prolly "gestamated" it.............I do that all the time.
Like ya said, it is considered a piece of farm equipment.
It wil do what it will do.......and sometimes we over load........not.

;)
Haytrader

ckburnett

Take a look at the the Jonsered Iron Horse, has rubber tracks, turns on a dime and has it's own arch system.

Ironwood

Just at the scrap yard, and they had small four wheel steer four wheel drive (hydraulic motor at each wheel), I wanted the wide rims and terra tires for a other projects, but I may buy the whole thing. It was some kind of self powered little conveyor type thing. The motor to drive the main pump was missing, but HMMMM, kind neat (this is the kind of open ended thinking that has me swimming in a million projects) Ohh the possibilities. I thought it would make a really cool "yard tree extractor", put a little crane to self load and there you go. I am also trying to get these REALLY wide turf tires off a Toro zero steer that came into another scrap yard I "shop" at. They would be awsome for an arch.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Tom

Me and most of the other sawyers at Moultrie Sunbelt Expo are always enamoured with the iron horse when it shows up.  It only appears now and again.   It's a great little tool, but it won't move a sawlog.  It's too light.  

When it is used on the flat ground of the fairground, it tips up and slips from under the logs. It does have uses and I still would like to have one, but I wouldn't depend on it for taking logs much larger than 12"x 8' out of a back yard.

The idea is great if they could get it to carry the weight.  Perhaps it wasn't being operated properly, but that is a fault of many displayers.  When their equipment isn't operated properly it leaves the idea that it won't work.  

It sure is a neat gadget though.

Thank You Sponsors!