iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What style mill is best for cutting odd shape logs

Started by boatman, October 26, 2009, 10:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

You have obviously married a gem of a woman there, Boatman! 8) 8)  In light of all that, the advice given may change radically. :D

You will need to consider how large the market is for the grown timbers, as well as what your supply of material would be like.  Lots of research is in order there.  The ship timbers would make a great niche, but if you're to make a living with a mill, you would need additional markets.  Other markets could be served with the same equipment, though.  The ability to cut things that others cannot is a very attractive, and possibly lucrative way to make it in this business.

I don't know what design and fabrication skills you might have, but you may be a candidate for building your own unique mill.  I've had this fantasy about building a big honkin' automated chainsaw mill for a while now, but I know I'll never actually do it.   I can see no reason at all that you could not rig up something to pull the mill through the log so you don't have to bend over and push it.  I can also see no reason that it has to be powered by a lightweight 2-cycle engine.  The swinger folks power their chain slabbers with 4 -cycle power, and they work great.  The hydrostatic drive unit on my MD mill is available from Bailey Hydraulics for about 800 bucks, and it would do the job perfectly.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

reberly

Hi Boatman,
I have a slabbing mill and a bandmill an I am located in Southwest Michigan.  If you would like to come see them in operation, I often cut bent logs and large crotch cuts.  My site Eberlywoods.com has some photos of some of the crotch cut table tops I've made.  Call me if you would like to visit, my cell is 269-362-3196
Rich
http://Eberlywoods.com

Big lumber is our legacy

Thank You Sponsors!