iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere 4239 camshaft gear

Started by duckslayingpro, June 19, 2011, 07:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duckslayingpro

I was needing to know how to remove the camshaft gear off this engine. I threw a rod through the side of engine and need to pull this gear off to get my crankshaft out to see if it is salvageble. From what I can see this gear is pressed on (guessing but it looks like it) do i just need to put a puller on it and pull it or is there another procedure?
Thanks,
duckslayingpro

beenthere

Looking at jdparts, appears this might be the camshaft. The helical gear appears to have a shaft key. If so, would wonder what the capscrews and plate (#22 and #23) contribute to the puzzle.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

UN Hooker

#23 is a retainer - it holds the cam in the block. If the gear has a hole or slots, you can remove #22 and slide the cam out with the gear, if not you will have to pull the gear - yes its pressed on.
   Before you can slide the cam out, you must remove the fuel pump (lift pump) and raise the lifters. If the block is out, the easiest way is to set it on the flywheel end and lift the cam straight up.   
             UN
Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

Thank You Sponsors!