iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question about sawing Cedar

Started by 123maxbars, November 13, 2011, 06:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I got in two orders for customers needing cedar. Called my local logger and he brought me some good cedar. After sawing the first log i had no trouble. Then while sawing the second board I noticed some waves on the board. This cedar is really sticky and was cut about three days ago. Any suggestions on what i am doing wrong? The waves arnt real bad and will go away after the wood goes through a planer but i hate them. Thought maybe I shouldn't use any lube since they are sticky or maybe i am not running the blade fast enough on the power feed. Any advice will be appreciated. Also another thing, if my blade hits a nail/metal can it be re sharpened or is it ruined?  Been sawing a few months and hit my first nail today and man was I frustrated! Going out tomorrow and buy a metal detector. And on that note I would appreciate a suggestion from someone who has one on what the best brand is to buy? Thanks for the help, best forum for my hobby!!
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Magicman

Was there any pitch buildup on your blade?

Was the Cedar knotty?  Knots will sometimes turn a sharp blade.  Entering the log from the small end tends to minimize "knot wave".

I send ALL blades to WM ReSharp for resharpening.  Some will and some will not resharpen.  All nail hits are not necessarily alike.  Also the hardness of all nails is not the same.

OK on a metal detector, but they will not necessarily find all of them.  I have one, but it is very seldom used.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cypresskayaksllc

I bought a wand style metal detector. I used it a few times then gave up on it.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

PC-Urban-Sawyer

You already got the most dependable metal detector there is: your sawmill!

Herb

terrifictimbersllc

I have a wand style (Lumber Wizard, about $80), and a log scanning one (Rens 4000, about $1500). I find the wand one very useful and recommend it if you only get one.  The reason is that it only measures 1-2" down for a medium size nail, which is good for scanning to find surface metal that one can dig out easily, and metal one might hit cutting the next board.  I use it whenever I've already hit metal, trying to save the customer blade charges.  

Regarding waves, look to your manual for a list of what can cause them. In this list you will find going too fast, going too slow, improper blade tension, insufficient drive belt tension, dull blade and about a half dozen other causes.  There's no easy answer.  I would also add another cause, inadequate belt tension for the forward feed mechanism, which I think is not on the list.  Sawing flat boards from knotty softwoods is up there in the challenges a bandmill sawyer faces.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

T Welsh

123maxbars,Welcome to sawing 101 ;) you are gaining knowledge every time you fire the mill up. yes, a metal detector will help,I do not use it all the time except when I suspect something is inside the log, you will find the difference between types of wood you saw will act differently with the mill and its performance. I love to learn new things, look at it as a challenge. this forum has a lot of great knowledge behind it. Tim

Jerry

I have been sawing a good bit of red cedar lately and find when it starts to get wavy that the blade is dull change bands and waves go away.
LT40G28 Manual Woodmizer

Thank You Sponsors!