iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BOOM BOOM BOOM CARS HOW DO YOU STOP THEM?

Started by wesdor, April 26, 2012, 10:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesdor

You all probably know what I mean. You are driving down a quiet city street when you feel and hear the deep boom coming from a nearby car. 
This has happened to me several times in the past week and I am wondering if there is anything electronic I can do to jam / explode/ nullify the sound?

Ideally I would like to flip a switch in my vehicle and burn out their woofer, but that is probably not a good (or possible) idea.

Any ideas of how to deal with this?

tyb525

EDIT: Nevermind....that link doesn't have any definite solutions. But I still think it is possible!

Maybe some of the genius on this forum can figure it out.

If it were legal...a well-placed .22 into the radio of the offending car.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Okrafarmer

I admit it is indeed a problem.

But by the title of your post, I thought you meant something else. And my mind automatically said, "Of course, you step on the brake."

There has been research done on various methods of containing, deflecting, or channeling sound waves, but I don't know specifics.

I don't know the legalities of this, but here's a thought. I know it's illegal to display a blue light or impersonate a police officer, but what if you somehow managed to either (A) mount a siren in your personal vehicle, or (B) make a high-def recording of a police siren and have it handy to play over your stereo at high decibels. So then, if you pull up behind a BOOM BOOM BOOM car at a stop light, and it's annoying you, just let rip with the siren. The first thing the perpetrator in front of you will do, is to look panicedly in the rear view mirrow (RVM). However, what he will see is you, in your civilian car, looking all around you in a [fake] panic, "looking" for the source of the siren. With any luck, they will pop their clutch and run the red light. If not, at least you give them a taste of their own medicine.

What you don't want to happen is for (A) them to figure out that you are the source of the sound, or (B) have an actual police officer notice what's going on and get involved.

In fact, probably better not try this, as fun as it might be.  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

wesdor

tyb525 - yes that .22 is a good idea, but would no doubt cause much more trouble than I wish to invite.

I'm with you, this must be possible electronically.  We just need to find the right genius to show us how.

At least I'm not the only one annoyed by the problem.

Let's see what else comes up in the next few days.

Paper Maker

It would be nice if you could buy a easy button.

Don_Papenburg

A well placed small thermal nucular device will mess up electrical devices.

But then you will need to be a distance and then some away
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Okrafarmer

I wonder if there is some way to set up a car to discretely spray a small stream of skunk musk toward a vehicle beside, in front, or behind it?  ::)

Oh, uh, just thinking out loud.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

sprucebunny

I doubt that a sound would get thier attention but I really like the skunk idea. Package it in small paintballs in a small paintball gun ..... heck... a slingshot would work !!!

Do I see any volunteers for making the 'smellballs' ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

I guess I'm more tolerant. If someone wants to blow their eardrums, go for it. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

I think the worse part is when a car pull up and they're two or three behind you and you can FEEL the "music".

I have a nephew that plays his "music" just a boomin' and I informed him that he is never to pull his car into my driveway with it turned on.

His reply was "it sounds really cool", my reply was "WHAT"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ely

that is very annoying sound, i just gripe and move on...... but if you want to spray something on someone that is easy. just put a windshield washer unit under your hood and fill the new tank with your choice of smell good/bad. put the outlet squirter thru the grill of your truck. test it with water until you get the thing adjusted for volume and accuracy. ;D

davidv

Get your hands on a small, military grade EMP :)

pineywoods

There's a legal solution. Most places have ordinances prohibiting excessively loud exhaust systems. An enterprising judge down in Mississippi declared that loud exhausts and loud speakers are one and the same...ticket time...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

woodhick

Quote from: pineywoods on April 27, 2012, 11:29:46 AM
There's a legal solution. Most places have ordinances prohibiting excessively loud exhaust systems. An enterprising judge down in Mississippi declared that loud exhausts and loud speakers are one and the same...ticket time...

I was going to keep quiet until Piney brought this up.
Well now i will jump in and open up a real can of worms.  I agree I dont like the loud music, and it happens occasionaly but a lot more frequently its a motorcycle with super loud exhaust that gets my goat.  Now I am not downing motorcycles, I dont have one but see where they would be nice.   In amy area I would be safe in saying 85%-90% of the motorcycles on the road have exhaust louder than a motorist could LEGALLY run on an automobile.

Okay kicking the soap box back into the middle of the room.
James.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

wesdor

SwampDonkey:
I agree they can ruin their ears if they want.  It is just that I don't like to have it so loud that I can't hear in my own car. 
You are correct, what they want to do in their own life is not a concern to me, but when it starts to become an annoyance in my life, then I'm looking for an opportunity to make their sound go away as long as they are near me.

Lots of interesting thoughts so far, but nothing that I really think I could use. 

I was hoping for something like a noise cancelling set of ear phones that would cancel their noise in a radius of 50 feet around my car.  Probably not possible (at least within my price range). 

beenthere

woodhick
I HEAR ya!! 
Noisy mufflers were a problem in my home town in the 50's. They don't seem to be much of a fad anymore. But the Boom Boom ers are annoying, but they too will fad e away.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Buck

RPG's RPG's   Yeah that ought to do it! Rpg's
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Al_Smith

It's not the boom boom that annoys it's more I can't hear the rattles in my own  vehicle .

POSTON WIDEHEAD

If ya can't beat'em......join them.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

The loud noise is not bad,but I don't care to "feel" the music. Too much bass for me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Clam77

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on April 27, 2012, 10:03:00 PM

I did this when I lived in Virginia.. got tired of the loud rap music at stop lights so I went and got a setup and played country.  Funny how they turn it down when your country music is drowning out their rap music..   :D

RF interference will take care of it within a short distance around you.. get a CB radio with a good 750 or so watt amp.. it kills the music and you can even talk over over their speakers with it!!    ;) 

Just don't let the FCC catch you.. it'll get expensive FAST..   :-\
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

DDDfarmer

We had a student work for us a few years back.  His little car costs less than half of what the stereo cost.  Every morning you could hear him comming down the highway from over a mile away. 

I told him that if he ever came in the driveway and I couldn't hear his engine running...... the car WOULD be worth more than the stereo..

Smart lad,  always turned it down 1/4 mile away.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Clam77 on April 27, 2012, 10:29:34 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on April 27, 2012, 10:03:00 PM

I did this when I lived in Virginia.. got tired of the loud rap music at stop lights so I went and got a setup and played country.  Funny how they turn it down when your country music is drowning out their rap music..   :D

How about-- Beethoven. That would get some looks.

gspren

The military suggestions have me smiling since before I retired last year my title at work was "Cheif, Experimental Fabrication, U.S. Army Research Lab, Weapons and Materials". I will not suggest anything!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!