iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

logging truck for hire

Started by s grinder, August 02, 2012, 08:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s grinder

What would it be worth per hour to hire out a truck to work for a couple of small tree companys that don't have a grapple truck?

Decked

It shouldn'd be any less than a dozer/operator, or any other construction machine fee in your area...

beenthere

Talking truck and operator? Or just the truck?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave VH

I would love to hire one around here in southwestern Mi, but I would hesitate by the hour.  Maybe by the load with a per mile cost might be more fair? I don't really know, but it sure would be handy.  Good idea, you've got something that the smaller guys don't, and need.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

lumberjack48

30 yrs ago i would rent a skidder in the winter months so we could get as much wood out as we could before the frost went out. I payed $1750.00 a month, i had to buy the oil and fuel and the rigging for it. They fixed the tires or any mechanical problems. If for any reason they had to bring it in to the shop, they brought another skidder out to replace it. If for any reason i lost a day with it, they gave it back to me at the end of the month. I ran it 7 days a week, plus snowplowing at night.
I would rent it out by the month for a flat rate, they buy the fuel,they pay for the month when they pick it up. This flat rate per month would be the same with you driving it, you charge by the hour for driving it, this way theres no money out of your pocket.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

s grinder

I'M talking truck & [me] operator,go to the job,pick up the wood, so they don't have to buck it up to handle it,drop it off where they want it,and charge  time consumed per hour, with a min. charge.Would cut their time on the job,just trying to figure what the service would be worth per hour.

chevytaHOE5674

About this time last year I was paying a guy 90 bucks an hour to provide the logging truck and operator. He was loading his truck with 8500~9000 bdft and hauling it 6 miles down the road and loading the wood onto a railcar.

That was his by the hour rate, can't remember what he charged by the mile or bdft for "regular" trucking.

T Welsh

We pay about $90.00 an hour for contract hauling. We try to haul our own ,But some times we are swamped and have to move wood fast. Tim

Peter Drouin

Hi all; It cost me 85 an hr to move some logs.  :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

s grinder

Thanks guys,i figured around $90.00 per hour.

barbender

I'd only do that kind of work by the hour, there are too many variables. It's different when you're hauling wood from a landing pile to a mill, then you can charge by the mile (by the cord up here, based on mileage). If you're doing tree work, it might be 5 logs at the Smith's, 2 loads at the Jones', and 1 log and a pile of brush at the Anderson's. 4 miles and 7 hours, hope you didn't charge by the mile on that. ::) I'd say around $100/hr, maybe a little less if they kept you busy all day.
Too many irons in the fire

Ianab

Other one to consider is to charge hours and mileage as separate items. That way if you are messing about for an hour getting logs loaded, but not actually running up miles on the truck you are charging less, but not burning fuel and putting miles on the truck. Dunno... $60 hr for the driver, $1 a mile for the truck?

If they have you messing about on small jobs and only driving 4 miles, at least you get paid for the hours, and don't have to refuel.

Spend all day on the open road and clock up 300 miles AND the 7 hours? Then you charge more to cover the truck running costs.

But whether is costs them $61 hour or $120 hr depends on what you are actually doing. It costs YOU a different amount depending on what you are doing.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Bobus2003

Always been charged by the ton.. Ranged from $4-$14, coulda been more if i sent to a mill a bit further away

higgins16

We pay our trucker by the ton, he gets $16 a ton for hard wood pulp,$13 a ton for hard wood logs, and $10 on soft wood logs. The pulp mill is about 80 miles away, hard wood logs about 50, and soft wood logs about 20. He averages 35 ton a load.

NWP

I charge $120 per hour for my grapple truck to pick up tree service debris.  Sometimes I just charge by the load, but I always figure a 2 hr minimum.  It would also depend on what you do with the debris.  Do you have to pay to get rid of it, dump it somewhere for free, or use the wood for a value added product?
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Thank You Sponsors!