iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm new

Started by flashhole, June 16, 2013, 03:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flashhole

Hello from the Southern Tier of Upstate NY.  First post on this site.  I recently discovered the joys of chainsaw milling and picked up a Granberg 30" mill to use with my 394 Husky.  3 smallish trees so far and am trying to stockpile lumber to build a combination horse shelter/deer stand.  Will start in on some bigger stuff in a couple weeks when I get some vacation time.
Remember - Always have your Democrats spayed or neutered - Anne Coulter

Texas Ranger

Welcome aboard, flash, tell us a little about your self.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Andy White

flashhole
Welcome to the Forum. This is the place to ask,learn,and have a good time concerning everything about sawing. Post pictures of your mill and logs you have cut! We Like Pictures!                              Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

fishpharmer

flash, welcome to FF! 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

dgdrls

Welcome aboard Flashhole,

where in the S.T.??  (see it now)

CNY resident, Alfred State Grad.

DGD

flashhole

Built my guide rails with Granberg end pieces and used threaded rod as stabilizers.  Works great.

Set up the rails and the 30" mill on first log.  My saw is a Husky 394XP.  I use a 36" Stihl bar with the adapter that allows it to be used on a Husky.  Ripping chain from the local shop, 115 DL.

First cut.

First stack of 3 slabs, did 3 other logs since ... these will make 2" x 8" x 8' boards ... now it's on to the bigger stuff.

flashhole

Hmmmm .... I get the feeling I have to do someting different to post pics on this site.  Seems --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!-- won't work here.

millwright

Welcome to the forum, you"ll learn a lot here.

Ianab

Quote from: flashhole on June 16, 2013, 06:19:04 PM
Hmmmm .... I get the feeling I have to do someting different to post pics on this site.  Seems --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!-- won't work here.

Yes, the forum has it's own gallery and we ask that pictures are uploaded there. It makes sure that the embedded pictures stay in place in the future, and don't suddenly turn into red Xs one day.

Have a read here on how to set it up.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html

It's pretty easy once you get it worked out, just ask if you have problems  :)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jay C. White Cloud

:)
Welcome!!!

You will get the hang of pictures in short order, it seem really difficult to me in the beginning as well, but now I understand the reason and the method behind it.  Works much better that it appears in the beginning and really isn't that difficult once you have the hang of it.

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Seaman

Welcome Flash! Glad to see ya makin sawdust.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

justallan1

Welcome to the forestry forum.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, flashhole.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dblair

Welcome , I'm sure you'll enjoy it here .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

JohnM

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new mill! :)  (fun ain't it! ;D)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Okrafarmer

Based on post # 7, it looks like he managed to get his pictures into the album. Now he just needs help with how to properly post them into the thread. I know how to do it, but I'm not very good at explaining it.  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum! Good luck on future projects.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

Rando

Welcome to the Forum. I was just in Owego a week or so ago to see my family.
Sadly I was there too early in the day to catch a spiedie!

thecfarm

flashhole,welcome to the forum. here's your picture help.

I like to go to whatever post or start a new topic first to include a picture.Go to your gallery,it will open in a new window.Click onto your album,than click onto whatever picture you want,it will get bigger,than scroll down a little to find,Insert Image In Post,click onto that,click Yes and that is it. Some have to copy/paste the link to work.I like to hit the enter key at least once or twice to move the picture down away from what I am typing. The enter key really helps to leave some white space if posting more than one picture. Somewheres I think it says to add 10,000 to your user number or something like that to make a clickable icon to your gallery under your user name. Use the preview button to see how it looks and modify it if needed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jdtuttle

Welcome to the forum Flash. I started with a chainsaw mill several years ago. I'm over in Candor, run a woodmizer now. Lots of great info on here.
Jim
Have a great day

flashhole

Got the pics added to the original post.

Okrafarmer

There, you got it! thecfarm usually gets in there and helps with the photos. What kind of log is that? From the wood, I would guess black gum, but it could be several other things.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

MAI

Welcome to the FF.  We're just up the highway from you in Horseheads.

beenthere

Quote from: flashhole on June 17, 2013, 06:54:54 AM
Got the pics added to the original post.

That would be reply #7 in:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,67271.msg1007745.html#msg1007745

;)

Very good on getting the post modified and the pics up for us to view.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

flashhole

Quote from: MAI on June 17, 2013, 09:51:32 AM
Welcome to the FF.  We're just up the highway from you in Horseheads.

Howdy neighbor, any GTGs in our area?

MAI

Bring me up to speed.  What is a GTG?

beenthere

Gathering, believe it or not.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Okrafarmer

Quote from: MAI on June 18, 2013, 10:56:34 AM
Bring me up to speed.  What is a GTG?

Get-ToGether.

mad murdock

Nice looking slabs flashole, welcome.   8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Migal

:) Welcome flashhole Looking like you got the fever Lot's to learn here on the forum  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

sawmillhand

welcome to the forum  looks like you have a fever and the only prescription is more sawdust lol :D
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

m wood

hey there flashhole and welcome from another member here in western NY.  Stick around, you wont believe how helpful these guys are!  I've learned tons.
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB