iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

power unit problems of the detroit variety

Started by Bert, October 24, 2013, 08:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody1

If you are looking to replace her, I have one sitting in the shed. I am stroring it for a buddy. It's been there about 5 years. 6-71 power unit of a circle mill.
Woody
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

03westernstar

Quote from: Bert on October 24, 2013, 08:15:11 AM
Hi Guys,

Need some Detroit diesel advice. My mill is powered by 671 that's ran trouble free for the past 16 yrs. A few days ago the sawdust blower plugged up while sawing and I idled it down to clean out the bark. When I went back to sawing (throttled up) it started blowing what looked like smoke (heavy white) out the breather. Could be steam but not sure. No water in oil though. The next day I started it up cold and sawed abt 3 logs with no problems and then it started doing it again. I guess something is opening up once it warms up. Any ideas? I don't think its blowby from rings since it starts easy and doesn't do it until it warms up. Lack of water in oil kinda rules out O-rings in the head. Maybe a cracked liner or head?

I don't know if you've figured out the problem yet but check the airbox vents,We had a bulldozer with the 6-71 come into the shop for the same problem the airbox drains where clogged with mud/dirt diver nests and causing it to suck oil and antifreeze past the O-rings.

Bert

Update on this... Found a 671 complete motor in a junk Ford L9000 and after some heavy lifting and parts swapping the mill is back in action. New motor starts easier and sounds better than the old so I couldn't be happier. Special thanks to bandmiller for some savy governor adjusting ideas.

One thing to mention is be prepared to flip the intake trap on a Detroit that's been sitting a while. When we fired up that engine for the first time it took off like a rocket. One of the injectors was stuck in the full fuel position. I was worried about damage to the motor but after about 40 hrs sawing on it now I'm calming down.
Saw you tomorrow!

thecfarm

It's good to be happy. Glad you are making sawdust.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!