iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A "Flywheel-Gear driven" wood splitter problem.

Started by Mark27, July 07, 2014, 08:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark27

Hello, people.  Another durn newbie, here.  :)

I need to get a wood splitter.
I've used only Hydraulic splitters before,
and not very much experience even with them.
However, a "flywheel/gear driven" model is available,
allegedly 34 ton, 6.5 HP gas motor,
maybe the maker is "Rapid Fast" ?, unknown model number.
The "auto retract mechanism" apparently needs repair.
Looks like...

Does anybody know of this type of splitter?
Are these "flywheel/gear" models usually reliable?
Where can I get (online) an Owner's Manual for it?
How complex is the "auto retract mechanism"?
I am fairly capable, mechanically.

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks very much.

Mark51

Jhenderson

The only retract mechanism I've seen on on a flywheel splitter is a large spring. The first modern flywheel splitter was a lickety splitter. Then DR either bought them out or copied it. Now there are several on the market. The only real wear items are the rack and pinion that drive the wedge. They are fast, but have trouble on really knotty or twisted wood.

thecfarm

Mark27,welcome to the forum. Is this something that you can go look at? It might be an early model DR splitter. Google DR splitter and see.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

North River Energy

The original SuperSplit is known for its production and durability.
The knock-offs, (see photo) not so much.

Mark27

First, THANKS Very Much for the replies.

I'm pretty durn sure that that the seller is actually a company,
in the business of selling splitters.
They have 4 of these things available, at $400 each.
In the ad, they say that the MSRP is $3500,
but I've found them (similar picture), new, online for $2200,
like, at SaferWholesale.com.
Seller says all 4 have the same "auto retract mechanism" problem.

JHenderson: A big spring? Should be no problem to fix...  right?
What do you mean by a "lickety splitter"?  I'm new, here.
I'd like to find an Owner's Manual to see the design of
that rack and pinion that drives the wedge.  Anybody?

TheCFarm: Yup, it's about 40 miles away, but I could go see it.
The picture doesn't look like any DR model that I can find online.

TheCFarm and NorthEnergyRiver:
In the pictures that I can find, both the DR and the SuperSplit
have the gas engine mounted up, about on plane with the ram.
This thing has the engine mounted lower, just above the wheels axle.

Again,...  Thanks for your knowledge.

Mark51

giant splinter

Mark,
DR lowered the motor on the latest models, as far as the return speed cycle goes it is more of a maintenance issue that design problem ..... these kinetic energy splitters need to be kept clean and free of debris, then they work fine and will split firewood at a rapid pace. The gears will last a long time and are reliable.
roll with it

North River Energy

If memory serves, that particular unit was introduced to the market within the last year. 
In addition to what gsplinter suggests, the retraction problem is likely related to maladjustment of the slider block and related hardware, and also the need for some break-in time so those moving parts can get to know each other.

Sticky action is apparently common on the original SuperSplit when new.

$400 might not buy you a long term splitting dream, but it will most certainly buy an education in the operation of alternative splitter designs.  In other words, even if it brakes down prematurely, it will still be worth the insight.

Watch a few Youtubes of the SuperSplit in action, and then build your own out-feed table to replace those bolt-on finger pinchers.

Meanwhile:
http://www.google.com/patents/US4116251

Holmes

Tractor supply had a cheap unit like that a few years ago. They took it  off the market, the gears were shearing off..
Think like a farmer.

John Mc

If I remember correctly, the Tractor Supply Co. unit was made by SpeeCo.  It was a cheap knock-off of the SuperSplit.  It appeared at about the same time as the first DR flywheel splitters - both came about shortly after the patent ran out on the SuperSplit.

THe SpeeCo unit did have the motor mounted down lower, which made the center of gravity lower, and thus better for towing. That was about the only good thing you could say about it.

As Holmes stated, it was pulled off the market for quality issues: the teeth were shearing off the rack and/or pinion gear. Poor quality steel, and and problems with the heat treatment of the steel.

The first DR flywheel splitters looked so much like the SuperSplits, that I called to find out of they were just relabeling SuperSplit splitters, or making them under license. (That was not the case.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Holmes

If you decide to buy it and the engine goes you can put a 1 hp electric motor on it . Thats what is on my Super splitter
Think like a farmer.

47sawdust

Mark 27,
I'd pass on this unit.My Supersplit cost $2300.00 and is money very well spent.Top notch quality,proven design,and no monkey business.I'm 67 and have put up 10 cord a year for 3 years with no issues.It is fast and will give you a good work out. They are made in Mass. and will ship anywhere.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Logging logginglogging

That thing looks chincy,
Go Troy built hydrolic, I have split tons of wood with mine, 14 cord a year for many years!!

blades

Better off burning the cash on the Super Split from Paul, warranty and help and parts, tried and true . Something you will not get from the flood of cheap imitations that have recently flooded the market. DR has done some improvements from the original release still problem prone. I do not know if Speeco after pulling their copy reintroduced theirs or not.
Personally I want to split wood not repair machinery every time I want to do so.

kevin19343

I have a DR Supersplit. I've split at least 40-50 cords with it( mostly oak, ash and hickory) and have had no big problems. Occasionally a small slice of wood gets jammed under the  ram arm and needs to be removed. Also if the machine isn't level the retract mechanism( spring) cant retract the bar all the way. The splitting table is also too small. It's hard to split large rounds without pieces falling off the table onto the ground.

All things considered it works great and I've sold my hydraulic splitter

John Mc

Quote from: kevin19343 on October 14, 2014, 06:52:45 PM
I have a DR Supersplit. ...The splitting table is also too small. It's hard to split large rounds without pieces falling off the table onto the ground.

DR's flywheel splitters are called RapidFire. SuperSplit is the brand that DR copied when the SuperSplit patent ran out. The early DR RapidFire splitters were an almost exact copy of the SuperSplit. I believe the splitting table was wider on the early models. Not sure why they made them narrower.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!