iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

It has been years ago but I was cutting timber south of me and there were christmas trees growing in the woods. I asked the land owner if I could buy one of them for our church. I had my pickup with a gooseneck, cut the crazy thing and when it was laying on the ground I realized it was a lot bigger then what I thought. I couldn't move it so I got my wife and we rolled it out of the woods and got it up on the trailer. The base was eight inches in diameter so I took a 900/20 truck tire and welded a six inch well casing in it chopped it down so it would fit. We had two guys pulling and a fellow trying to push to get it though the church doors. Set it up and the top pocked the ceiling tile out, if nothing else what memories it brings back. Probably sucked up a gallion of water every day  ;D
Bill

stavebuyer

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

BargeMonkey

🤦‍♂️ Walked one today, I don't know if the logger who gave him a price needs a drug test or the landowner, #'s wherent even close. I've gotta give it to the beaver he has directional felling down. 

He even practices CTL 🤦‍♂️😆 he had 4-5 trees all cleaned off and in sections. 

I'm honestly happy where I'm working, it's tugboating circa 2002 without the drinking. If you tell them you are capable of doing the job that your licensed for and you can't, watch out. Had a coonass show up running his mouth and didn't make it 48hrs before he was voted off the island, I think I saw actual tears. 😆. The walk of shame is real. 

My relief has 1 more hitch left, 2 other boats coming out they don't have crews for, might as well get comfortable when I go back next week. 

ehp

Like I told you Barge , your the smart one and its showing

GRANITEstateMP

Barge,

Is the engine room all soaped up getting ready to be washed, or did the fire suppression system go off and now you got to clean that up too? ;D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Corley5

Getting unloaded by the truck this morning. Sun's low and the windows are scratched  ;D :)  It was hard to see all day. I tried to load and unload with the sun at my back but that didn't always work  :) :D

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

BargeMonkey

Boat was getting washed down for crew change. If the fire suppression system went off there's a 50-50 I wouldn't be posting on here. The boat I work on burned in 1999, they used the system, the volunteer fire dept got ambitious and opened it up again after 3hrs, it flashed and they basically sunk it to put it out. 

nativewolf

Quote from: Corley5 on November 26, 2022, 07:27:36 PM
Getting unloaded by the truck this morning. Sun's low and the windows are scratched  ;D :)  It was hard to see all day. I tried to load and unload with the sun at my back but that didn't always work  :) :D

I hate to say it but ours is worse, really an issue this time of year.  I wear sunglasses and use side shades .  
Liking Walnut

barbender

I couldn't run a scratched window machine full time. That might sound fussy but when you are trying to make production 5-6 days a week having your visibility hampered is a big👎👎

I've seen guys buff the small scratches and haze off of polycarbonate windshields with fine buffing compound. 
Too many irons in the fire

nativewolf

Liking Walnut

barbender

Those headlight restorer kits are supposed to be the right grit but you'd go probably go broke buying enough of those to do the job. The 3 on the crane side are the important ones, the other end doesn't bother me if they're scuffed up. If you weren't getting out of that machine soon I'd say it's worth it to get them replaced.

GRANITEstateMP

scratches and poly windows are a buggah! When I worked on a couple of asphalt late models our windows would get beat up throughout the year. 5star racecar bodys sold a 2 or 3 part spray system that you'd rub or buff into the poly windows that worked pretty good. I think the product was Nexus, or something?  I may have to look around and see if I got any left

Edit - Product is Novus, and I found the 3 pack online for $15
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

nativewolf

Liking Walnut

realzed

A spray can of SC1 or off road plastic shine stuff for ATV or SXS units won't take out the scratches but fills them in and makes a great difference - I believe Turtle Wax tire shine works good as well (cheap at WalMart).. doesn't last probably more than a few days - but a quick spray and wipe and you're good to go again for a few more - sheds rain water very well too!

John Mc

I've seen polycarbonate (aka Lexan, Macrolon) scratches "removed" with a heat gun. It does not really actually remove the scratch, just restores its transparency.

You do have to be very careful with this: too much heat will distort the plastic, or can cause small bubbles to form. If you have never done it, it's suggested to practice on a scrap piece first to get a feel for it. There are a number of Youtube videos about this.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Riwaka

Quote from: nativewolf on November 27, 2022, 11:22:01 AM
Yes it sucks.  I should give that a try

When the new machine turns up, applying window film to the new machine's windows before it heads to the woods. The window film is replaced at intervals but is less cost than replacing windows.

barbender

Don't let a gorilla run your new forwarder and it won't get scratched up. A Euro forwarder isn't designed for bombing through the brush. Your harvester operator should have everything laid down in front of you- part of the harvesters job is to "build" the skid trail. So the brush should be flattened so you're not driving into a phalanx🤦‍♂️ I've seen a lot of variety in this in harvester operators, some do great and some suck.

My machine had 8000 hours and the glass was still clear. They will start to get hazy over time,  just from UV degradation I assume. 

BargeMonkey

ROCK. And more rock. Typical job that got high graded 20+yrs ago, still see a few spots of paint, they where sloppy when they girdled the pine and alot grew over. There's probably 50 oak like that, few bigger, some is nice, some ash that's alive, some SM, 100k+ ft of pine and quite a bit of firewood, hemlock looks good but it can leave in 8'.  

this is probably only 4-500ft above sea level, wood is tall compared to home. It's 1+ mile all day from the back but beautiful landing and plenty of room. 

that's a double girdled tree. ☝️ Not a great job but I'm not far to the thruway to truck the pulpwood north. 
I went home and missed all the run, blew a cylinder head yesterday, we have known we had a bad cooler for a while, using 200gal of water a day, they picked her out of the water today and hopefully get it fixed correctly. 

newoodguy78

Old Greenhorn

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

BargeMonkey

I wanna say that boat has 96-102" wheels. Makes 4200hp on 10" shafts, nozzles and flanking rudders. Not a big boat, not a little boat. 

Tom I can hear the trains at the Selkirk rail yard, off 32 right before you hit Feura Bush. I've got 3 others over this way to cut, make the great circle and then go back up on the mountain come fall. I don't really wanna go nuts till I find a 5 tier, start making the trip to Finch / Ticonderoga myself. 

Walnut Beast

You know you can post her in the tree hugger club then post another with her skidding a load out 😂😂

Thank You Sponsors!