iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor logging with winch

Started by sawyerf250, January 30, 2015, 12:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaproperty

The word " tractor logging" means making a decent road.  I have a small scale operations and I posted a video about making a road using the loader on my Kubota L4740.

https://youtu.be/MHkDLOYsScE

Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

Ohio Logger

Good morning, Just got done going thru this thread. I found it quite interesting. Here is a non working photo of my rig.

. It is an 1982 Kubota M4500DT (45hp). Weighs in at nearly 5 ton when hooked up to winch and bucket or forks. The winch is a Tajfun AHK 55 with radio remote. The option was only $800 more, so when you are spending $7000 already you may as well I need to go take down 2 pine trees around an old house that needs torn down. I will try to post some pics and or video. I wouldn't want to be without it. The only downside is that the range isn't the greatest. With clear line of sight you can get to 200' away (max cable length), but that is a bit sketchy. In the normal woods, it can sometimes be hard to get a good connection thru the saplings and brush. One thing you do have to watch though is that you stay away from the hitch. One time I were pulling a small hitch of firewood logs, when suddenly the butt ends snagged on a stump and almost before you could think the tail end of the logs whipped around about waist high. Thankfully, I were safe enough, but it taught me to be more careful.

John Mc

Those older tractors must have had more beef to them than today's models. Today's 45-50 HP tractors usually come in below 4000#. That is without loader or implements (or filled tires), but adding those does not add 6000#+ to the weight. You'd have to work to get it up near the 10,000# number you mentioned.

Glad you didn't get caught by your swinging logs. I've never had that happen to me, but since I don't have a remote control, I'm not likely to be in the area if it does happen. When I'm working with others, I keep them away from the logs if there is any tension on the line. I also keep them  outside of the "dogleg area" if I'm using a snatchblock (or an old stump) to redirect the pull.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thecfarm

I don't have a remote either. I stand by the tractor and pull the rope. The remote would be nice to have. I cut some wood of from the bog. I had to use an extension. Walk back to the tractor,winch in 150 feet of cable,stop,unhook the cable and walk back and take the extension off,than rehook and walk back to the tractor again. A remote would of saved ALOT of steps.
I've had some small trees come up by the winch when I am winching. Kinda have to do the two step and get out of the way. Have to be careful when you are only 6 feet from the winch.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

47sawdust

Ohio Logger,
I cut firewood for 2 winters with an M4000 2wd with loader and good chains on the rear. That tractor had a creeper range that would take me anywhere,6 cylinder Fiat motor that really sounded cool.I believe it was the same as yours minus 4wd.I found it a little awkward to get on/off so traded up to my L3750.I also have a Tajfun winch but no remote.Great piece of equipment.
This is my current set-up

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Ohio Logger

47sawdust
Ohio Logger,
I cut firewood for 2 winters with an M4000 2wd with loader and good chains on the rear. That tractor had a creeper range that would take me anywhere,6 cylinder Fiat motor that really sounded cool.I believe it was the same as yours minus 4wd.I found it a little awkward to get on/off so traded up to my L3750.I also have a Tajfun winch but no remote.Great piece of equipment.
This is my current set-up.

Yea, I saw an Allis Chalmers at an auction that was practically identical to my Kubota. I believe it had a Fiat motor as well. I have wondered who was actually building them. Mine also has the creeper gear. Before I had a winch I would sometimes pull trees over backwards by putting it in the lowest gear idling. Then run back and cut holding wood on tree so it could be pulled over. You can roll across the ground faster than it will go in that gear. It also has front and rear diff lock as well. In 6 years of use I can count on one hand the number of times I have been stuck. And believe me, it wasn't because I didn't give it oportunity!  :D

Ohio Logger

Mine is a 6 cylinder as well. And I agree it sounds great. That Allis though, had a big 3 cylider in it. I take it that you mean that the Kubota motor is actually a Fiat. I wouldn't have known that. I didn't think Kubota did that.

47sawdust

Ohio,
At the time the M4000/4500 were being made Kubota was not making tractors of that size.They were made by Fiat/Allis.The sheet metal is the same for a number of different tractors of that era,and yes some had large 3 cylinder motors.
Both of our tractors have enough levers to keep a couple monkeys entertained for a while.Gee...I wonder what this one does? :D
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Stephen Alford

Been a spell since I have had time to contribute thought this thread might be appropriate.   ;D

The tourists have all come and gone once again.

Had a beautiful fall.
Firewood sales are down about 30% due mostly to heat pumps becoming so popular.

Time to downsize sold the skidder after many years but she she went out twitchin.

Did some needed repairs named the new air box Wilson.  :D

In the past have had the winch on the front in combination with the grapple and trailer. Decided to reconfigure and mount the winch on the three point hitch. Wanted a hourglass fairlead like Bill M . here are a couple pics.  :)

Been that kind of year.   :D

logon

lopet

Hey Stephen,  are you gonna put a hitch on the winch so that you can pull your trailer ? Or do you have to take the winch off to do that ?

Nice job on the hourglass roller. 8)

Did you really sell the ' ol girl ' ?

MY fw sales are down too, but not as bad , maybe 20 % .  Mild winter and a lot more amish competition. Well the bride side is , I have quite a bit more inventory to carry over, but on the downside less money in the bank. Does that mean I have to cut less wood this winter ?  Don't think so .
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Stephen Alford

Yes my friend that is the plan.   Most projects involve recycling available resources. The frame is a spare log stake. The winch is great . It spools in , spools out, and free spools. It also has a positive lock so once the twitch is in , it can be locked so the pressure is on the spool and not the hydraulic components.  Not going to miss brake bands. The lack of a roller made it difficult to use in a selective cut as the cable would no spool on properly. The tangled mess could be avoided only by moving the tractor. On the hunt for a partial blade for the bottom. It will be slotted so the tree could be attached to the blade once it is spooled in.  With the tractor the twitch tends to be built.

Put the bumper off an old truck , digger teeth for emergency braking on slopes and a toolbox on the front.   The cab has been the biggest + for the tractor.

Sadly "the ol Doll" has gone to her forever home back on the continent.  Put her on the float workin and full of fuel, movin forward is all ya can do.   :)    ... Oh your chaf sorter /manure spreader was brillant.
logon

North River Energy

Stephen,
Thanks for the update and photos.
A few years back I rehabbed a winch and 'upcycled' a Fisher plow blade for the butt plate. Worked out well, though I should have cut it lengthwise, as it's taller than it needs to be.

Stephen Alford

NRE that is a rugged looking puppy. Nice...glad you were not here for the pully/fairlead debate I would have been outgunned for sure.    :D     Big issue for me is to be able to back drag roads and landing at the end of the day.  This is crucial to shed water and level surfaces as things freeze overnight then thaw during the day.  Landowners really appreciate it when you make an effort to keep things tidy.  At the moment considering a 7' narrow blade.  Any other thoughts if you were to do it again.  Managed to get it mounted and install the hydraulics. Going with a hydraulic top link. It is a work in progress ; this was how it looked out the rear window when the day finished.   :)

logon

Stephen Alford

oh.. wanted to mention in case  it would save someone grief, the original problem with the winch was an issue with the danfoss pump.

It appears  at some point the original screw , I believe was a 6 mil, it got replaced with an English bold. this stripped out over time. That shaft was extremely hard . Found a shop that had the capability to retool and use a bigger bolt.  We use what we call a "harf and harf" measuring system. Harf metric and harf Ennglish... what a pain.  ;D
logon

North River Energy

Well,
Other than the butt plate height: better chain storage, a less awkward dog engagement lever situation, and I should have done a proper bearing situation for the main pulley pivot.
The winch works fine, but it's slow with the hydraulic motor turning at maximum rated speed for the worm drive.

I intended to use it on a small thinning/opening job for a neighbor, but by the time we got going, they had the courtesy to purchase a clean used Volvo ec25. Worked slick, despite the lack of thumb.

Are you planning to tie the roller arms (the red parts) to the base of the frame?
If you plan to use the blade for grading, maybe some means of trimming the tilt from the saddle?

Stephen Alford

Thanks NRE . Your post put the spotlight on...hauling wood or steel???. Dropped the blade idea and going with smaller lighter butt plate with places to hold chockers after  a tree has been winched in.  No lower bracing at the moment for the fairlead. The fairlead is optional. Used on a long twitch to help with spooling. When the twitch is short with no lift required the cable can be passed under it lowering the pull point.  This is no skidder.   

The screen is a door off an old porter I believe.  Took the pull bar off the tractor years ago , going to use that as a fixed top link. the hydraulic top link allowed to much slop.  We shall see..... :D
logon

Stephen Alford

Ta Da...     :laugh:

logon

lopet

Love the home made stuff.  8)

Make sure you have good HD stabilizer for your arms so that the winch doesn't move sideways. I use heavy threaded turnbuckles with a lock nut.
My farmi winch has enough power to get the tractor with a loaded 34" tire off the ground when pulling on a angle. ;D  I know, I am not supposed to do that, but it just happens once every while.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

panlanrs

[quote author=beenthere link=topic=81025.msg1233366#msg1233366 date=1

I don't have a logging winch, but would like one. Just that I only pull out for my firewood and hard to justify not only the expense (but the re-sale value is very good) but the time to attach to the 3ph when needed for a few hours. So have only been looking for a used one, but they are scarce as hens teeth.

Resort to using the tractor to either drag lengths of logs out or cut to 7' length and load them out on the forks.

Stack near the shed for splitting later when too muddy in the woods.

Beginning of log pile last week, about double that today.

[/quote
Jackson,TN

North River Energy

Well done. That butt plate steel looks a little too fresh, but the winch cozy brings you back into compliance.  :D

Stephen Alford

Thanks lopet.. I hear you.  Hoping to get some time to hook to the trailer then some trials and no doubt some tweaking.
  NRE  buying butt plate steel was a bit extravagant  but for some odd reason all the plate I have is bent ..  :D

Sawyerf250 thought I should mention that for me one of the biggest dangers with the tractor occured when winching in through under growth.  Was doing some trials for a buddy at Ferric. The chockers  being tried were half cable half chain. A tree fetched up on a stump and stood up and came forward on the tractor. Without a cab or roll bar it would have left a mark. Last saw the chocker in flight and heading southwest.  :-X

Saw this piston controlled fairlead on the net,  https://youtu.be/e53f1Xs2KPY
logon

Stephen Alford

Got the hitch on. Went with a pintle connection. Now the trailer can be hauled by the 450. Nice not to have to disconnect the winch in order to use the trailer.

Decided to beef up the on ramp hoping that back to tractor logging will be a step up   ;D

logon

pékan

This is my toy for my woodlots and this year i had some tire chains and gone change the traction for sure.... 8) 8)

thecfarm

Pekan,welcome to the forum.
How many hp you got there?
All chained up will either get you through it,or stuck that much more.  ;D
No idea your woods operations. I run 6 chockers on mine. Sometimes all six are used,sometimes just one. I made up 6 4 foot chains too. Got tired of pulling 3 feet of chains through a keyway of a slide at times. Seem like I haul out more small stuff than big stuff now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

Welcome, Pekan.

That looks like a nice set-up. What kind of winch do you have? It's hard to see from the pictures.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!