iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor logging with winch

Started by sawyerf250, January 30, 2015, 12:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Nice job on the build. But you might rip the whole thing off the tractor pulling a good load.
How can one go from a skidder to a farm tractor?
Mines good for 6 tons, but, I load one tree at a time.

Mine has a lock too.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bruno of NH

Pekan
Better check the warranty with the hardware on the front of your tractor .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

Peter,I suppose you mean a lock on your winch,cable? I leave whatever I winch in on the cable. Back when I was hauling out the big pine I had,even on the cable,the big ones did not clear the ground all that much. Front end comes to a rise in the ground the rear goes down.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pékan

Thank you guy's i have a 35 hp kioti  with a 3001 igland winch with homemade top pulley and for the chains in front yep it's warranty the only company who have that warranty.

Glenn

pekan    did you buy or build that roof setup.  I'm seriously looking at the kioti brand as well but several of my family have different models of them and they all have legit issues with them,  i was looking at the dk45 and 55    they do have more standard features than the other brands

pékan

I built my roof set up , my hood protection and i built my skid plate underneath too , match the paint and voila,,,,,, i love my tractor so far . 8) 8) 8)

Glenn

very well done !!  what model is it ?

pékan

It's a Kioti CK35 with gear and a mechanical shuttle  that i buy in 2009 for the small job we have on the land because we have a Clark 664B  and a 668 inter tractor with a log trailer and a LOG LOADERS to play on a 600 acres of wood land hard and soft wood.... and a maple house later in a few years..

gaproperty

With the Kubota backhoe subframe you have to be careful installing implements. There is very little room between lift arms and the backhoe main hydro line.  I already broke the hose that feeds the backhoe.  Here is my logging winch install that shows this short coming.  

Logging winch install. Backhoe subframe not much room.
Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

gaproperty

Quote from: John Mc on February 25, 2015, 09:05:55 AM
Quote from: sawyerf250 on February 25, 2015, 08:40:13 AM
Ya and the real bummer is that l could probably make a better living doing all of that and working for myself than going to work for "the man" everyday and not getting any further ahead.

Firewood and small scale logging is usually not a path to making big bucks, at least not in my area.  Though a well respected logger (now retired) once let me in on his secret:  "The secret to making a small fortune in logging ... is to start with a large fortune"
I worked in the woods with my father since I was 14 and I never figured out a way to make big bucks.  I have a wallenstine and l470 tractor, good saws etc.  Getting old and fat so it's a labour of love.
Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

gaproperty

Quote from: g_man on March 06, 2015, 07:10:41 PM
ga - not sure I understand. Are you saying you bunch the five logs across the trail rather than along it and pick them up so they are totally off the ground and across the winch parallel to the axel. If so It is just a heavy weight like a ballast box and should not hurt your top link or 3pth.

Clever way to keep them clean if your trails are wide enough.
Yep.  That's what I was doing.  Keeps them off the ground and I don't think it has hurt anything.  
Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

Hermio

Not really a reply to your post but a general question. Why do so many people refer to chokers as "chockers"? Chokers choke. Chockers chock. They are completely different things.

John Mc

Quote from: Hermio on May 17, 2019, 06:49:03 PM
Not really a reply to your post but a general question. Why do so many people refer to chokers as "chockers"? Chokers choke. Chockers chock. They are completely different things.
Probably because spelling is not everyone's strong point?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thecfarm

Because spell check does not catch it. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

Quote from: thecfarm on May 17, 2019, 09:16:20 PM
Because spell check does not catch it. ;D
Actually, it appears that spellchecker does catch it.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thecfarm

I usually do the spell check on each and every post I do. But I guess I missed my reply on Feb 1. But every so often the spell check won't check. Must of been that time.

gaproperty

My Wallenstine fx6500 met it's match.  The winch pulled most of the peaces up over the embankment but when this big peace of big heavy birch dug in, it was to much for the winch and the clutch slipped. I had to lessen the load by cutting the big log into peaces.    

Most people are surprised what a tractor logging winch can do. Then it will surprise you what it can't do.  .

Here is a video of the winch hard at work.

Winching in the big one

Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

John Mc

Link to "Winching in the Big one" is not working

jimparamedic

This was my tractor and wench wish I had not sold her. I used the cat head a lot with a 1" hemp rope and it had a 10' cable leader on the end to go around the log. I did add a pusher blade under the wench.

thecfarm

I remember one big pine. It was down a steep hill. We rolled that thing up the hill. My father ran the winch,I would re hook the chain each time. We had a small tree laid down and that made it so I could move the chain each time. I had a good size piece of wood to keep it from rolling down the hill when I moved the chain. Slow,yes,it was,but we got it.

shinnlinger

I picked up some oddball Norse 367 winch.  The paint is all faded but the price was t0o good to not take a chance.  I hooked it on my tractor and tested it on a few downed trees.  the first one was a 10" pine and it was 90 degrees to the tractor.  The winch dug itself in and pulled the tree  right in half when it got caught on an oak.  I was impressed.  next I hooked to a birch next too it and tried the same thing.  This time the tree didn't break and the tractor stalled out when I pulled on the rope.  The problem was that then the tractor ran backward for a few seconds and powered the winch cable out birdnesting the spool.   I also cant imagine it is great to run the engine backwards, so I will be a bit more judicious with the clutch and plan ahead a little better next time.  I obvious knew it would get hung up, I just wanted to see what the winch could do.  I have also found the skid plate to be an effective grading blade.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

thecfarm

Seem like they use to sell that style of winch,just last year.The website only shows the 450 and the 350 with the butt plate that pivots. 

shinnlinger

physically it looks almost identical to the old style Norse 350 and has similar capacity and specs. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

g_man

Be careful. If you got hung up like that on a standing dead tree it could pull it over on top of you faster than you can imagine !!!

gg

g_man

I was helping a friend with a new Fransgard winch and I really liked the automatic brake set-up on it because I usually leave the hitch on the cable when I skid out. So I rigged up a similar brake on my Farmi JL501 using an over the center lever and a spring on the pawl brake lever. With the lever down the spring is slack and the winch brakes normally with the rope control. When the lever is up the pawl brake is applied via the spring. I have the lever down while working up a hitch and winch from the top pulley. When I get the hitch close I put the cable under the lower pulley for skidding out and apply the pawl brake. Then snug up the hitch.

Here is a short video of how I use it. I'm cutting fir stud wood.

Automatic Brake Mod on Farmi JL501 Winch - YouTube

gg

Thank You Sponsors!