iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor logging with winch

Started by sawyerf250, January 30, 2015, 12:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

One other thing about a small tractor is it's much easier to get it around in the woods. We had a small 18 hp. I put a small trailer behind it and I could sneak the tractor and the trailer through the woods. With my 40 hp,there is not much sneaking. I have to plan and cut roads for it. I was not hauling out a cord of wood with the 18hp,but I was not spending the time to plan and make roads either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mf40diesel

We log with a JD 5055e and a quite old Farmi 306 (its in my signature) the winch is a little too small for the tractor, with regards to its line pull.  We have to pull logs in one at a time with the winch, then pull the bunch together to the landing.  the tractor will move the biggest hitches we have put together with ease, so far.   

this summer I am hoping to upgrade to a Tajfun, they look really well made to me, of course they all do really.  I would love to get the remote, but I have a feeling that it will push the price tag too high.

It's amazing how well these winches work.  Funny to me too, how amazingly popular they are in northern europe, and not really all that popular in the States. I am not a farmer, however it seems that if you were, it would be a great way to use relatively idle iron in the winter. 
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

sawyerf250

Quote from: mf40diesel on February 21, 2015, 12:17:58 AM
We log with a JD 5055e and a quite old Farmi 306 (its in my signature) the winch is a little too small for the tractor, with regards to its line pull.  We have to pull logs in one at a time with the winch, then pull the bunch together to the landing.  the tractor will move the biggest hitches we have put together with ease, so far.   

this summer I am hoping to upgrade to a Tajfun, they look really well made to me, of course they all do really.  I would love to get the remote, but I have a feeling that it will push the price tag too high.

It's amazing how well these winches work.  Funny to me too, how amazingly popular they are in northern europe, and not really all that popular in the States. I am not a farmer, however it seems that if you were, it would be a great way to use relatively idle iron in the winter.

Been trying to figure out how to list my equipment like everyone else has, So l just got edit my signature is what your saying mf40diesel?

l have found a couple hitches that my winch would not pull so far but my issue was being to greedy or too lazy? Most likely a combination of both. lol After walking back and unhooking say even one tree l could then pull it with ease, then walk back to the tree l left grab it suck them all together and the go with no problem.  l have 6 sliders and have had them all doubled plus a bonus on a small chain on my end hook. Keep in mind these were either spruce/fir or small hard wood with no limbs. Monster hard wood with majority of their limbs now that a little different, Maybe two. But l have a 65 horse Massey 4wd tractor and a Wallenstien fx90.

l also looked at the Tajfun winches and fell in love with every feature they had! And then l got the price quote and decided l would work my way towards that. They are just SOLID well build and have so many little features that make them stand out. And you are very correct they use tractors and winches ALL the time in Europe and we are just a small number here in the states and Canada.
Massey Ferguson 375 w/838 loader, Wallenstien Fx 90 winch, 3 Husqvarna chainsaws

mf40diesel

I only mentioned my signature because I really couldn't remember which model number Farmi that I have.  I am at work at the moment (I go to sea) to looking was impossible at the moment.

I would really like to upgrade to the Tajfun, you're right, expect the price they seem to be gorgeous.  All of them Farmi, wallenstein Fransgard etc seem to be pretty robust and well manufactured, but I do like the Tajfun the best.

Despite the fact that I have only logged on our family land, I have dreams of picking up really small side jobs with my tractor/winch combo. We have had a couple guys on my hill ask if I would cut some firewood off there land for them,  I would happily do just that, but I'll let them cut and split!
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

sawyerf250

You very right, they are  a beautiful looking machine. l really like the idea of the solid screen the tool boxes that are built in, the peavey and saw holders but most of all l really liked that they use the swedge style cable also that they use a band style brake the same as a skidder would. However l have grown very fond of mine since purchasing it. l see that you had mentioned about how you would like to get it with the option of having the remote control, l'm not sure if you are aware but Wallenstien now offers that options also.  When l purchased my winch it wasn't offered but l am thinking of either buying it as the kit and installing it or selling mine to a neighbor and buying new with it already installed. But l can tell you that for model to model sizing with the remote or without the price is just about half if you don't go with Tajfun. l looked at every model of every brand very closely both in brochures on dealer lots and at the forestry expo in Bangor and l made the decision to go with Wallenstien. To each their own but l wouldn't go with any other brand unless it was Tajfun. 

l also have dreams of starting a "Low Impact Logging" and firewood business, both cutting off our own ground and for other around my area.  And someday purchasing a firewood processor to do the cutting and splitting. But for now l can only putter away on weekend and when l take vacation time from work which makes it frustrating.
Massey Ferguson 375 w/838 loader, Wallenstien Fx 90 winch, 3 Husqvarna chainsaws

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: sawyerf250 on February 24, 2015, 08:36:21 AM
l also have dreams of starting a "Low Impact Logging" and firewood business, both cutting off our own ground and for other around my area.  And someday purchasing a firewood processor to do the cutting and splitting. But for now l can only putter away on weekend and when l take vacation time from work which makes it frustrating.

Don't you hate it when your real job prevents you from doing what you really want?  ;)

sawyerf250

Ya and the real bummer is that l could probably make a better living doing all of that and working for myself than going to work for "the man" everyday and not getting any further ahead. But l quess there in lies the truth of life, damned if you do and damned if you don't?! lol

John Mc

Quote from: sawyerf250 on February 25, 2015, 08:40:13 AM
Ya and the real bummer is that l could probably make a better living doing all of that and working for myself than going to work for "the man" everyday and not getting any further ahead.

Firewood and small scale logging is usually not a path to making big bucks, at least not in my area.  Though a well respected logger (now retired) once let me in on his secret:  "The secret to making a small fortune in logging ... is to start with a large fortune"
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

sawyerf250

l realize a man can't make a fortune of it? lol lt definitely is not a get rich quick scheme by any means but when a person could do it coupled with other things and make a living for himself it couldn't be all bad.. right? l guess that's why l said it was a dream of mine? Just one among many... :D lol

John Mc

Sawyerf250 -  I wasn't trying to stomp on your dream. It was meant mostly as a joke... as it was when the logger said it to me.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

sawyerf250

Ohh no l knew you weren't.. l didn't take any offense to it! l've been around business/farming and worked in the logging industry to know there is so much truth in what you were saying! lol

g_man

Here are some pictures from yesterday. Cutting fir. Junk goes to the neighbors outdoor boiler saw logs go to the mill. I try to fall as much as I can  into the area I have packed other wise I am limbing in snow up to my crotch.

gg

mf40diesel

G-man,

Your land looks beautiful.  how much acreage do you have? 

I have dreams of buying a piece of land, and selective cutting to help pay for it, and harvest firewood for our home.  Someday I hope that i pull the trigger on it.\

Seaman

I really enjoy the pictures of you fellas working in the snow! I don't know if I would like it, a man does whatever it takes of course, but I do love the mild winters in WNC.

FRank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

ReinkeFandS

Hello everyone, I'm new here and wanted to share my homemade sidder. I would love a winch but can afford one yet so I made this one, it also does double duty as a trailer and gooseneck mover

Cooks MP HD3238
Stihl MS 461, MS 261, Homelite SXL
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

thecfarm

ReinkeFandS.that looks like a good idea. Yes,those 3pt winches are high. I brought one many years ago when they was cheaper. But they should last a life time and more.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ReinkeFandS

Quote from: thecfarm on February 28, 2015, 09:02:47 AM
ReinkeFandS.that looks like a good idea. Yes,those 3pt winches are high. I brought one many years ago when they was cheaper. But they should last a life time and more.

I need to buy a trailer for the tractor first, I saving for gooseneck 18-20 ft over wheel 12k
Cooks MP HD3238
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

Remle

ReinkeFandS

I like your home made skidder. Those  reese hitch points are the cat's meow. I'm putting them on all of my equipment, front and back. I know some will snicker at this but a 12,000 lb electric winch/remote control would add to the versatility of your skidder at a fraction of the cost, you can move it around when you need that little extra. I know they are not built for continuous duty, but they are use full when other options don't exist. The other thing I would recommend is a blade on the bottom of your frame to help stabilize the tractor if you were to pull a log.

g_man

Quote from: ReinkeFandS on February 28, 2015, 08:58:55 AM
Hello everyone, I'm new here and wanted to share my homemade sidder. I would love a winch but can afford one yet so I made this one, it also does double duty as a trailer and gooseneck mover

Welcome to the forum. You did a very nice job on that skidding frame/ trailer mover.

ReinkeFandS

Quote from: Remle on February 28, 2015, 11:15:01 AM
ReinkeFandS

I like your home made skidder. Those  reese hitch points are the cat's meow. I'm putting them on all of my equipment, front and back. I know some will snicker at this but a 12,000 lb electric winch/remote control would add to the versatility of your skidder at a fraction of the cost, you can move it around when you need that little extra. I know they are not built for continuous duty, but they are use full when other options don't exist. The other thing I would recommend is a blade on the bottom of your frame to help stabilize the tractor if you were to pull a log.

Thank you very much! I've thought about getting a mile marker winch and using the tractor remote for the times I need a winch. Those hitch points were just 2 1/4" tube with collars I welded on collars.  I like the side ones to hold the chokers and fit a cant hook and hookeroon into. The bottom was left as angle iron to lower and 'bite' like a blade would. I have some expanded mesh to go between as soon as I get back to it. I'm off to get some more wood today maybe I'll get some more pictures too.
Cooks MP HD3238
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

sawyerf250

l had a setup even simpler than that when l first started, it was very primitive. lol All it consisted of was a spreader bar that hooked to both of your 3 point hitch arms, l put a couple rings on it that had 2 teardrops a piece, 3 or 4 short chains and a 25 foot chain that l used a a "mainline". Worked okay but very slow, a lot of hooking and unhooking if l had to reach out to get trees? But l used it for 3 or 4 years while l saved up to buy my winch. Never made a better investment!  :) Well maybe if l would've got the remote control unit?! lol

beenthere

Quote from: ReinkeFandS on February 28, 2015, 08:58:55 AM

For me, it looks like the 3ph is all the way up in the pics. That wouldn't work well for me.
I like to be able to lower the 3ph when I hook to a log and then raise it off the ground to drag it away. So for me, I'd be cutting off the lower foot or so that is below the receiver hitch as shown.
I think what I see would be catching on stumps and woods debris that I like to get over and not have it stop my moving.
But if it works good for you, that is all that is necessary.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

EFR

Here is my setup with the crew.  I've pulled a lot of wood with my little tractor and Farmi winch.  Tractor is a New Holland TC40.  The auto winch control is on the left.  When he's paying attention, it works really good.  The pup, well he's learning.

I've since moved over to a timberjack 225E.  I can't really call it moving up yet, as my poor TJ cost a lot, and seems every time I use it, costs more.  I think by the time I am done fixing things, it will be just about completely rebuilt. 

I went to a small skidder for several reasons.  The tractor works great within its limitations.  I was pretty much stuck to existing skidder roads and as the snow starts to pile up, the size of your hitches drops pretty fast.  Since all of my cutting is between January and April, that was a big deal for me.  I got a piece of slash caught in the rear tire chain last fall and it came up around and smashed the rear fender. That being said, I love the light weight cable on the farmi, the New Holland will start well below zero every time, and everything works.   

thecfarm

Good for you on the up grade on the wood hauler. I could use one to move rocks with.  ;D I have just about the same tractor,mine is not the Boomer series. I think mine tires might be spread out wider too. I'm am just a little over 6 feet wide. I have a broken fender too. I hauled out a bunch of cut offs and one hit the fender.  :(  On well,as I say,I did not buy it to look at it. But it still upset me. I won't mention the broken head light lens either.

ReinkeFandS

I don't know how much higher I would want it lifted it goes a lot higher than shown in the pictures, and the bottom is higher than the rear axle so that is good enough for me

Cooks MP HD3238
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

Thank You Sponsors!