iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree farmer 1972

Started by crazy4saws, August 13, 2015, 12:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy4saws

Would a ratching come along work well for lifting the blade up for loading? Wrap it around the two bars coming down from the cab and then around the blade, lifting it up.

Thanks for the input guys, Ill keep you all posted on how things go.

ga jones

That is a c4b way earlier than 72. 64-65 maybe
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

crazy4saws

GA Jones does that make it even more undesirable? They said for sure it has the 3-53detroit not the gas engine that came with them. Let me know what u guys think. I'm planning to go look at it next Wednesday.

ga jones

That winch is obsolete. Direct drive no clutch. The machine is probably worth about 3500 bucks around here.the rest of the machine is easy to get parts for.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

lopet

Quote from: ga jones on August 20, 2015, 04:33:14 PM
That is a c4b way earlier than 72. 64-65 maybe

I was thinking the same thing with that type of arch and winch drive. Don't know the model, but would also say it's older than a 72.

You will be fine with using a come along to lift the blade of ground and with a dozer you should not have any trouble getting it on a trailer.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

mad murdock

Unless it is a Garrett built TreeFarmer, it would be a late 60's. I thought all the early C4's had ford power. I am by no means an expert though. I defer to those more in the "know".  For the right price it has serious potential.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

tantoy

We used chains and binders to keep the skidder from articulating when we loaded it. We lifted blade with loader and chained it up. I like your idea of airing up tires first, help save the tires and easier to load. That machine has much potential!

1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

ga jones

You tell by the arch. The pipe style is early 60s. That 3-53 is not the original engine. By the looks of the air filter housing its out of an s8 international. You'll know when you go buy the filter.

ga jones

C4b can car tree farmer. Davco in Farmington Maine has everything for them. A lot of stuff is available at a local auto parts house too.

crazy4saws

Well I've got everything set in stone. Going down early Wednesday morning, got a semi coming in around noon. Hopefully on the road by 1.

Tantoy excellent idea on chaining the front and rear axle together to stop it from pivoting. I'm going to use chain come alongs from work. Got three 1.5 ton for this job. I'll definitely use the dozer blade to help lift up the front blade. I hope the tires take air. Would suck if they get even more damaged while transporting home. Taking my brother along for the trip as well.

relieving to hear that Its a decent model and parts are still around.

Ga jones, I'm actually happy that it's a 3-53 and not the original gas engine or ford Diesel. I've heard good and bad things about the Detroit but man they sure sound good, screaming through the woods. Once I have pictures of the name plate and stuff I'll post it. Any specific area the name plates are put on these treefarmers?

From what little I've read 3-53 is a 3 cylinder 2 stroke diesel. Sorry for my ignorance guy, like I said this is my first diesel....even haha. I can repair chainsaws and small gas engines all day. But never messed with a diesel.

Tantoy and ga jones, thanks for all your helpful input thus far!

ga jones

The serial number plate is under the clutch master cylinder. It doesn't mean anything these days though.

chester_tree _farmah

Good decision. They are good old machines. They will pull wood. Frames are solid. Simple to work on. Component machine so low cost if u do your own wrenching. Week point is the axles but keep in mind it is a small machine. Max production machine for 2015? Nope but for part time work it will get u started. U have to climb a little to get up into it but you will survive. :)

254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

larry1

My T.J. 3-53  was locked solid , and couldn't move it with a 4' pipe . Removed valve cover ,  checked the valves for free play and loaed the cyl.s with penetrating oil over night . The very next day she broke free with that 4' pipe , but just go back and forth easy . She runs perfect --maybe I just got lucky .

chester_tree _farmah

Quote from: larry1 on August 22, 2015, 09:36:28 PM
My T.J. 3-53  was locked solid , and couldn't move it with a 4' pipe . Removed valve cover ,  checked the valves for free play and loaed the cyl.s with penetrating oil over night . The very next day she broke free with that 4' pipe , but just go back and forth easy . She runs perfect --maybe I just got lucky .

Nice! So I have heard Marvel Mystery oil is great for soaking seized rings. Sometimes soaking it for weeks. Has anyone used it? Or is it just an urban myth?
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bushmechanic

When you go to chain up the blade while lifting the blade up make sure to move the valve lever to relieve the pressure and help get the blade up. Definately try and get some air in those tires if you can cause rubber ain't cheap these days. Good luck.

crazy4saws

Well the skidder finally made it home. Been on the road since 3am and around 5:30pm we got it unloaded. chaining the front and back axles together was an excellent idea. It wouldnt have loaded or unloaded very well without that. Thanks guys! I know you all enjoy pics so heres a few.

Here is the engine, I assume its a detroit diesel 3-53.

tree farmer name plate

more engine pics

As you can see must of the controls and cables for brakes and stuff is broken or missing
These two pics are some of the handy work that was done to this machine before it sat in the woods for 10 plus years.

Here is the bad news on the axles

This skidder is gonna need alot of TLC but it will be worth it.

Do the tree farmer expects still agree with GA Jones that this is a c4b? The model box on the tag has no stampings just the serial which I was told wasnt much help.

I think the first thing Ill do is hook up some batteries and see if the starter works. If not than thats what I tear into first. Let me know what you guys think. Im coming to you expects for advice on this piece of equipment. Like Ive said this is my  first diesel and first piece of heavy equipment. 

Thanks again!

treeslayer2003

looks short........2-53 or just the pic makes it look short.

is that last pic the rear?

bushmechanic

Glad to see you have it home. Make no mistake you have a project on your hands. Yes that's a 353 and if I were you I would take a 1 1/2 socket and put on the cam nut and see if you can turn it over cause a starter can do some damage if there's water on top of one of those pistons. That crack on the blower cover don't look good to me, may of had water down in the intake and looks like it froze and bust the cover.... possible blower damage, hope not. Good luck with her.

ga jones

Yep c4b..PR52 Rockwell axles. 353 from an s8 international. T98 4 speed and Cota transfer case. Need pics of the pto to know which model transfer case. There could be a pr 67 if the planetary hub is different looking than the front. cost about 2-2500 to totally rebuild each axle. .the 67 you can't get everything for so hope you don't have one. Webster hydraulic pump If it hasn't been changed. Webster is obsolete. The cylinders are an oddball but packings are redily available. There hard to do so take them to a hydraulic shop to have done. The clutch slave can be rebuilt using a rear drum brake cylinder kit. Reuse the springs that are in it now. You can replace that generator with a Chevy 2 wire alternator.the center pins and steering pins and blade cylinder pins are all the same. Davco has them. The bushings are too. those u can get from bearings and drives. Any other part of that machine you need to know I've rebuilt or replaced look at my gallery. Except that winch. I would  look for a gearmatic or Deere 3315,3325. However the rotation may be backwards. I have a solution for that also in my gallery.

beenthere

So that is a crack on the blower cover.  Here I thought it was a vine that had grown and died... that is if the blower cover is the pic showing the GM logo.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ga jones

Looks like a vine on the blower??? I just looked at the side view pic u have and there both pr52 axles

bushmechanic

Well beenthere another look at it and I think your right, sorry we don't have vines up here. :-[

thecfarm

That will keep ya busy for a while.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

good luck with it and take lots of pic of her being restored  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!