iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Full protection chainsaw boots

Started by rick carpenter, November 14, 2016, 01:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick carpenter

I'd like full protection chainsaw boots that are comfortable to wear and don't cost a fortune. At the lower price end, they all are rubber pull-ons. I'd think those things are too hot to wear here in Texas. I have some waterproof steel toe Wolverine pull-ons that I can wear everyday even in the summer, and I've been cutting in them but they don't offer chainsaw protection. Cofra has ISO 17249 boots out of Italy for $179 including shipping but I'm nervous about true US sizing and their quality as I don't find any reviews. What else is out there? Would steel toe metatarsal guard boots offer any better protection than my Wolverines?

PS - I saw the thread gman98 started and when I tried to reply I got the 120 day warning and the suggestion to start a new post. I contributed to danbuendgen's post and just re-read it, but nothing there what I'm looking for.
Suburban Redneck raised up in the Deep South!

Ada Shaker

Yeh, i hear ya. We have the same problem here during our summers, too darn hot for any boot. I just use a good quality leather steel capped boot, too hot and sweaty for anything else, the slip'n'slide of rubber boots would likely cause more problems than it solved. I was at one stage looking for steel chain linked boots but figured would have to travel back to medieval times for a pair of those. Maybe someone could fashion up a pair of safety socks instead :D. Or maybe a gaiter to go over the boot instead? (now that's doable).
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

AlaskaLes

Please don't take this wrong, but I'm a bit confused by the interest by so many in chainsaw boots.
In a lifetime of experience with chainsaws and the various sawyer jobs...I've seen a few people nibble their chaps a bit with a chain.  The only impact with a boot that I've seen was a pulaski that skipped off a hard knot and nicked the edge of my firefighting boots many years ago.
The technique I was taught way back when, is to just keep your parts out of the line of force...don't stand where your blade will be cutting.
How many people here have actually nailed their boot with a running chainsaw?
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

Caloren

I do have a pair of boots with a couple nicks from a chainsaw. Kneeling on my right knee with my left foot flat on the ground cutting second or third growth tan oak "bushes" at ground level. There are ten to twenty sprouts from 1/2" to 3" diameter and 15 to twenty feet tall. The saw goes through some then the bar nose contacts another one and back it comes. There is one cut that didn't make it through to the steel toe, the other one has about 1/2 inch steel showing. The latter one may have hurt if it wasn't for the steel toe  :-\  It has taken about 15 years to collect these two cuts, as I am usually on my knees in this situation and my legs are farther away from the saw with my chaps to protect them.
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

John Mc

Quote from: AlaskaLes on November 14, 2016, 02:35:33 PM
Please don't take this wrong, but I'm a bit confused by the interest by so many in chainsaw boots ...
How many people here have actually nailed their boot with a running chainsaw?

Apparently quite a few: http://www.elvex.com/facts08.htm

I've never nicked my chaps, but I still wear them. Finally boughtmyself some comfortable chainsaw boots (Haix XR200). Had the rubber ones, but never wore them - they were just too DanG uncomfortable.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

barbender

I got a pair of the Haix XR200's a few months ago myself. They're very firm and supportive, but they make my feet darn sore. They do breathe well, though.
Too many irons in the fire

John Mc

Quote from: barbender on November 14, 2016, 11:15:24 PM
I got a pair of the Haix XR200's a few months ago myself. They're very firm and supportive, but they make my feet darn sore. They do breathe well, though.

I've had just the opposite experience. I find them very comfortable. I did have to order the medium width, as the woman at the logging show where I bought them only had wides along with her. Once I got those, the fit was perfect.  I can work in them all day and my feet feel fine (the rest of my body is sometimes another story, since I often suffer from "weekend warrior syndrome" - spend a long time NOT cutting wood, then go at it hard for a few days).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

barbender

They are a very well constructed boot, and they have very good arch and ankle support. In fact, I just wore mine out west elk hunting because of the fact that I didn't want to sprain an ankle. By the end of the second day, my feet were hurting bad. Probably my biggest gripe is the right heel cup keeps giving me a blister. Aside from that, I found that it took quute a while to get them broke in. Don't get me wrong, I really like these boots, but I'm not going to lie and say my feet don't hurt after extended wear ;)

John Mc

Barbender - is your heel sliding around a bit in the boot as you walk? If so, you might try putting a bit of padding under the tongue of the boot. This shifts your foot back a bit in the boot, seating your heel better in the heel cup. You can get self adhesive pads made specifically for this application. A GOOD shoe store might have them, but you typically won't find someone who knows what they are doing for custom fitting at a chain store. The small "craftsmen"-type, Mom & Pop stores may be a better bet for this.

I wear a good pair of wool socks with mine (even when it's warm out). The right sock really makes a difference - both in fit and in keeping your foot dry. My favorites for the last few years have been Darn Tough Socks hiking/trekking model, made here in Vermont (you can find them on Amazon and a number of outdoor stores). They are high-quality, built to last, made in the USA. As my old hiking and skiing socks wear out, I'm switching them all over to this brand.

danbuendgen

Try Labonville boots. Made in USA. Under $200 last time I picked up a pair. And they are the most comfortable boot I ever had, even new out of the box. I have a regular pair and a corked pair.

http://www.labonville.com/Labonville-Boots-Made-In-The-USA-_c_94.html
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

barbender

John- I haven't tried any of those things, but I guess my point is, my other boots don't hurt my feet with the same socks, etc. I would also say, I have VERY sensitive feet, so much so that I dread it when the time comes to buy boots. Are you familiar with the story of the Princess and the Pea? It could be about my feet :D I was very hesitant to mail order a $300 pair of boots for this reason, usually when I go in a store I'll have about 6 pairs of the same boot out trying them on. If there is anything in the boot that even hints at touching my foot wrong, they're a no-go ::)

John Mc

Barbender - Since your other boots were made on a different last, it's not surprising they fit differently. Maybe Haix just doesn't make something to fit your feet, or maybe you just got the wrong size. However, it's worth trying different weigh tsocks, and there are folks that can work wonders with customizing the fit of an off-the-shelf shoe. It just takes a bit of digging to find them.

HolmenTree

Take your new boots to a shoe maker or cobbler  (very few of these tradesmen around today).

These guys can do wonders for you, they have the knowledge and tools to stretch, oil and mold them to your feet.I had this done a few times over the years and greatly respect these guys.
Then wear them and just like your new saw they'll break in nicely.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

barbender

Thanks for the advice, guys. Yes, cobblers are getting to be a pretty rare breed, I don't know if we have any left in my area. These boots get more comfy the longer I wear them, they have just taken a long time to break in for my fussy feet. I still reach for them every morning.

John Mc

Quote from: barbender on November 27, 2016, 04:41:02 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. Yes, cobblers are getting to be a pretty rare breed, I don't know if we have any left in my area. These boots get more comfy the longer I wear them, they have just taken a long time to break in for my fussy feet. I still reach for them every morning.

Getting more comfy as you wear them is common for leather boots, though it can be rather uncomfortable as the process happens.

If you can't find a cobbler, there are still a few shoe stores around who can do some of this. They can be difficult to find, however.

Ohio Logger

I found Oregon S3 chainsaw boots from The Sportsman Guide catalog. I tried them and loved them! The most comfortable leather work boot I have worn. I tested an old pair out (minus my foot) :) and they are definitely cut resistant. Had too try twice with my 70cc saw to get it to penetrate behind the steel toe. The last pair I ordered from the UK because I couldn't find anyone over here selling them. Haix seems to be a good brand too. I saw them at the Paul Bunyan Show and thought they looked great. I might try them for my next pair.

Jesper Jepsen

I'm using the Meindl Woodwalker pro and love them. Fits wonderful and support my feet very well.
Meindl have been making walking boot for a life time so they know what they are doing and that was the selling point for me, I wanted boots that I can walk in 8-10 hours and still have no problems and know that they protect me if the saw should slip.

Thank You Sponsors!