iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sthil 025 leaking bar oil - new pump, o-ring, rubber hose and worm gear

Started by raymondjiii, December 29, 2016, 08:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raymondjiii

I keep getting oil running down from the oil output port and dripping into the clutch area and also onto the floor. Oil is definitely coming off the chain (keeping the chain lubricated. I can see it spraying off onto the ground.) I have tried changing: the worm gear (it was broken), the oil pump, the o-ring that goes on the connector piece between the oil pump and oil tube, the oil tube that goes into the tank.

The oil is coming out of the port, it is clearly getting on the chain. The chain bar groves and holes have been cleaned out with a pick and compressed air. If I use the saw for more than a couple of minutes the oil leaks out. It is not leaking out of the bottom where the connector piece attaches to the pump and oil tube - that area under the saw is clean and dry.

I did use a carb cleaner on the vent valve - could I have caused the the plastic to possibly deform in this area due to the chemicals in the carb cleaner? If the vent valve goes "bad" what happens - does it cause too much oil to come out of the port? I have stuck a pin into the hole on the vent valve.

When I take the bar and chain off there is oil all over the inside end of the bar right in the area where it comes out of the port hole.

My theories:
Either too much oil is coming out of the port - because the vent valve is bad???
The hole in the bar is too small to pick up enough oil?
Is the bar not solidly mating up with the plastic on the saw body? If this is the problem how do I fix it besides trying to construct a gasket?

The chain cover is old and "worn" - I have a new one on order.

I think the chain is tensioned properly.

This is a relatively new non-oem bar but I could swear that I have used it before without a problem.
New chain - but I always cut my own chains from the same spool for the last 10+ years.

I am going to try to find an old bar laying around somewhere and see if that makes any difference.

I've seen some other posts about similar problems but I see a lot of good suggestions but nobody following up with what their fix was.

Thanks for your help.

raymondjiii

So I tried running the saw without the bar and no oil is coming out of the oil vent.

I did find that the torx screws covering the chain break were "loose." Taking the cover off, inside it was filled with wood chips and oil. I cleaned it all out put the cover back on and re-tightened trying not to strip the plastic treads in the body.

It seems to be less oil than before.

Looking at these two pictures is it normal to have this much oil sloshing around from the chain. Granted I was not cutting so no oil was getting absorbed by the wood.

In my years of cutting I've never noticed any oil coming out the bottom like this - but then again I may not have been paying attention - is this normal at all?

Ox

Some oil has always come out of my saws like that.  They also leak oil slowly.  They're messy machines.  Is it normal for new saws?  Beats me!  My newest saw is a mid 80s Stihl.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Texas-Jim

right beside the muffler between it and housing on bar side is a plug. it from where they drilled the oil passage. If that plug is gone any tilting and oil will run out and continue running after you right the saw. oil is messy.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

raymondjiii

Texas-Jim

Ok it could be the connector itself. It has a odd plastic piece under the sprocket. its not expensive but a slight pain. Just change hose that connector and o-ring. theres nothing else there to fail. If you need part numbers let me know
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

joe_indi

The Stihl bar has a small ramp in the groove located at the oil entry hole on the bar. This ramp, other than forming a small well for the drive links to scoop up the oil, also forms a barrier to prevent oil from flowing towards the rear of bar ( as seems to be happening in your case). Non Stihl bars too have something similar. I have seen these ramps come off the bar after a round of enthusiastic bar cleaning. If you bar had worked fine before and if the current problem is recent, I would suspect that your bar is missing it's ramp.
Try flipping the bar. If the ramp is intact on the other side, you might see some improvement

Thank You Sponsors!