iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 011

Started by shades, October 25, 2002, 04:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shades

i found a 011 at a pawn shop for $150, but i havent found any info on it. it looks in good condition but well used. any ideas. im looking to buy a small sawmill at the beginning of the year just for a hobby. i was also thinking about selling firewood part time. i am planning on buying a 290 or 310 for my bigger stuff. any commits on the 011 ,ccs,replacement parts.  i live in central kentucky.(not a big firewood market) just for extra money. im really looking to do better with the sawmill . still have alot more studying to do          :P on the subject . thanx for all the help.
Ben

Skully

$150 for a 011 is quite expensive actually.  I doubt that saw costs over 200 new.  I also wouldnt reccommend this saw even for light duty work!  It's really a childs saw.  If you want a cheap firewood saw get the 029 although not a very good design compared with other stihls.  It will do the job for the weekend firewood guy.  I would reccommend a 18" bar on this saw, This saw is only 300 new a much better investment than o11.  Also remember when buying saws they will often last 10+ years depending on use. so invest in a good one upfront and maintain it well, you will be happier in the end!!

shades

thats kind of what i thought. id rather buy a new one anyway.  :D thanx for the response. ;D
Ben

ADfields

I have 041's and 044's (041's  8) way beter than 044's)that I do love but thay just sit in the tool room most of the time after I got my first 017!   That little 017 cuts almost as fast as the big boys at 1/3 the work on my back and 1/3 the price to boot.   I now have 4 017's and if I was in your boots thats what I would be looking for in a small saw.   You will still need a biger saw now and agen for big saw logs like an 044 or somthing but if you start with a 017 and add a big boy later on you will do just fine.   The 017 will cut a good size saw log if you come from both ways untill you get a big saw on hand.   When I was younger I would have poked fun at a guy with a little saw like an 017 but I have lerned  :Pa bunch and I'm now a lot more wize to how well things do for the work I put into it!
Andy

woodbeard

The 011 was reportedly a pretty good saw, and at 41ccs, more powerful than the 017(30cc) or even 021(35cc), but $150 is a bit high for a used one. I havent tried the 017, but Andy's good experience with it makes it sound easily worth the $30 or so more than you were considering spending on a used 011. People give these smaller consumer models a bad rap, but if you take care of them and keep the chain sharp, they can give years of dependable service. I didn't like smaller cheaper saws either until I figured out how to maintain them.
Good luck,
George

Frank_Pender

I just finished falling 10,000 bdft of Doug Fir the weekend.  I used my 066 for the falling.  but, for 90% of the bucking and limbing I used my 025.   Man is it a cutting machine.   I use it too because of the ease of carrying and handling in the thick brush.  I run an 18" bar on the 025 and a 36" on my 066 and both 044s.  I paid $299 for the most recent 025.
Frank Pender

woodmills1

I must say since i bought the 066 it is the only thing i have been using in the woods.  i still take the 038 out with me but the 66  is the king.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Frank_Pender

Yes, Woodmills, the 066 is my favorite also.  but I am older than you and it is so much easier to carry the 025, tramping over brush. 8) 8) ;D
Frank Pender

Noble_Ma

I just bought a new 290 and love it.  I still have my old 028 that I let my son use.  He's got more back than I have.  ;D  

ADfields

Man what I would give to have my back not hert now! :'(   When I was a young straping man I would never take time to save my back and I now pay ALL day and ALL night for it, 24/7! :-/   I tell my kid all the time to take care of that good strong back he's got, dont be like the old man on this one!
Andy

Weekend_Sawyer

I have an 029 and an 066. I use the 066 much more, the 029 is easier on me but, of course, just feels weak after using the 066.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

OneWithWood

Two weeks ago I purchased a Stihl MS 460 Magnum.  What a saw!  It is a couple pounds lighter than my trusty 038 and cuts noticeably faster.  I mean this saw has some grunt!  I stihl take the 038 out with me in case I hang up the 460 ;)
I have 20" bars on both saws and a 25" bar in reserve for the really serious days :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Larry

Small light saws and short bar for triming the limbs to firewood size and lot bigger saw with a long bar for cutting firewood once it is on the ground.  You can balance the big saw on your hip with the long bar and really go to town cutting firewood and you don't have to bend over to saw.  Also rest the big saw on the log when you cut the limb off next to the trunk of the tree.

Larry
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Tom

Most of the bucking down here is still done with a bow. It's a lot easier on you if you can handle it.

DanG

Yup! The bow is king for bucking firewood. I grew up using one, and it just doesn't seem like a challenge, to me. The only caution I have, is, NEVER remove the claw. If you do this, it WILL hit you in the face. If you don't, it can't. As long as the claw is in place, IMHO, it is the safest bar made. Part of it's inherent safety factor is in fatigue reduction. I can triple my production by using it, over a straight bar, and come away with no back pain. Bucking with a bar will put me away in about a half truck-load.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodbeard

I have seen  bow bars, but am not familiar with their operation. What is it about them that makes them easier on the back?
Thanks,
George

woodbeard

DanG, I almost forgot. You mentioned Vietnam in another post, I assume you served there. Hats off to you and any other vets here. Finally figured out what those bumper stickers meant after I thanked my local veterinarian for my freedom. ;D

Tom

With a bow, you cut with the tip.  That's a no-no with bars unless you are plunge cutting, but with a bow it is the only way to do it. The claw is located at the bottom of the tip and rides the log so that the chain has something to pull against.

The sawyer rests the weight of the saw on the prostrate log and balances the sawhead on the the end of the bow. In short order the chain has cut through the log and the opening in the bow has kept the closing kerf from binding the saw.

Bows must be matched to the size of the tree as well as the size of the saw. They are more in their element bucking downed smaller trees in the 20" or less class.  They are not intended for felling, though some sawyers use them.  They are definitely not to be used for brushing.

When using a chainsaw for firewood and pulpwood production, the bow reigns supreme.

*note:  The government safety squads don't like them. ???

TJACK

Tom,

Can you post a picture of a bow, I have never heard of or seen one on a saw.  Do the regular bar manufactures make them Windsor, GB & Oregon?

Thanks,

TJACK

ADfields

Thay can be had at Baileys.   I cant find a photo right off for you but if you do a lot of firewood on the ground with a saw thay are nice.

http://www.baileys-online.com/store/USA.htm

Tom

Here's Eddy, my 75 year-old, preacher-friend, pulpwooder with his bow and Husky 61

Paul_H

Tom,
Was that Eddy's pulp truck you posted a pic of a while back in Rons logging thread?Is he still pulping,or have the mills squeezed the small operators out?.

75 and still going 8)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Tom

Yeah, that was Eddy's truck.  He's still going but I don't see him on the road as often.  He follows the tree surgeons and is taking the wood to a man who has a wood yard the last I heard.   This wood yard has a chipper and is selling chips to the pulp mills as well as firewood to the public.

Short wood haulers are a few and far between now, a dying breed, an indangered species. :-/

Oh, by the way, just for a bit of useless information.  He wears that nit cap, long sleeved shirt and bibs regardless of the time of year.   :D

woodbeard

Any particular power requirements for a bow bar? I have an old xl-12 in need of a bar. If I could find a bow for it, would it be sufficient to run it?
Thanks,
George

Thank You Sponsors!