iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with sourcing wood

Started by RPowers, April 30, 2018, 06:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPowers

Had a guy contact me who lives in Chicago but originally from Ireland. His son builds traditional style wooden ships from 29-50'  long and they are  wanting to import a shipping container of lumber. He is interested in White oak, Cedar, and Cypress, possibly others. I'm not set up for this kind of thing and was going to see if any of you larger operations on here who have access to accumulation yards of good logs would want to get more details from him to price the job. Thinking @customsawyer or @YellowHammer or someone similar might be interested. PM me if you are and I will give you his info or let me know on this post how he can contact you. 

Thanks, 

Ryan 
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

DDW_OR

my 2 cents

dealing with international sales is VERY tricky.
the USA export laws and requirements
the United Kingdom (Ireland) import laws and requirements

= one BIG headache

wood would probably require certified sterilization to guarantee no insects or contamination
"let the machines do the work"

Southside

The EU does require a phytosanitary certificate for wood products entry, learned that lesson the hard way a number of years back. Getting a phone call from Malta at 0300 is quite interesting. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

low_48

Only way to touch that deal is to sell to the Father in Chicago with USA bank draft. Let him worry about the rest. Way too many scams out there to trust a random contact like that!

BigZ La

I'm not positive but when I imported tractors from Japan my custom's agent took care of all that. I would suggest giving a customs company a call and they can probably help you out. I do know the agent told me it was still a possibility to have a container impounded if they did a visual check. 

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

RPowers

Thanks for the help guys, several members  have expressed interest in speaking with the individual about his needs. I appreciate the support and responsiveness this group offers! 

From my conversation with him, the father plans on buying a container and the lumber and then shipping it himself. Says it is about the same cost as just paying someone else to freight in their container plus his son has the container for storage after its all over. Says the oak is for the ribs on the ship and the softwood for the planking on the sides. 

RP
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

Brad_bb

For the ribs I'd think you'd need curved stock that approximates the curves needed.  Otherwise you'd have to laminate I think.  Either way, I would think he needs a high grade of wood without knots and with straight grain?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!