iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swing Loader vs. Skid Steer for Log Landings/Yards

Started by Horselog, February 06, 2010, 01:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horselog

Hello, this is my first post here, looks like a good site.  I own and run a small logging and forest management company in the mountains of Virginia and am looking at getting some kind of loader mostly for handling logs, some dirt work too.  I used to have a knuckleboom, and I have experience using skid steers on landings.  And I've used bigger loaders a lot, such as a TC-54H or 544 John Deere, but I don't know anything about smaller swing loaders in the 50-60 HP range.  Just wondering if anyone has experience using these smaller loaders with logs, and the pros and cons of a swing vs. a skid steer.
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

treefarmer87

I know a few people who use skid steers for loading their trucks they seem to be pretty good
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

barbender

Skid steers tear everything up, if the sole purpose was moving wood I'd say a swing loader, but if you want a do it all machine a skid steer is hard to beat.
Too many irons in the fire

Ed

Bobcat makes an all wheel steer skidsteer. It will go from skidsteer to all wheel steer by flipping a switch.
In all wheel steer mode it doesn't tear up the ground at all.

Ed

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ScottAR

Beenthere, google A300  all wheel steer loader.  It's a skidsteer with all wheel steer. 
The local paving company uses them to run a patch planer as it's easier to hold a curve than with a skid.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Bobus2003

The A300 Is a All Wheel steer that is cool.. But was not recommended by the local dealer for in woods.. I have a Case 1845C Skid Steer and i really like its versatility in the Landing and in the woods..

nedly05

A CTL (skid steer on tracks) would work well too. I've never run one myself but from everything I have heard they are great. A tree service company from nearby runs two of the larger ASV's. He has grapples, mulchers, blades, buckets... those machines have been in some awful spots, and handled a lot of wood. I would take a look at those myself.

Ed

Twig farmer

Excavator with a thumb and a blade. Quick coupler for the log grapple.
C5D Twig Farmer, Deutz power, "Mona".
Husky 575.
Husky 372.
F550 4x4 PSD.
Bull Strength and Ignorance.
Live FREE or die.

barbender

I don't think you want a CTL in the woods, the tracks don't hold up and they are miserable on ice. It's one thing if you are running a mulcher and getting an hourly rate to cover track maintainence, but if you are just moving your own wood on a landing a rubber tired skid steer with chains or aggresive over the tire tracks is a lot cheaper to run. I have a case 1845c myself that I use on a landing occasionally, I think there are photos in my gallery. Nice simple and reliable machine. The over the tire tracks I have don't do well on snow and ice, I need to modify them. The tires spin inside the tracks in snow, so I am going to weld a piece of narrow flat bar inside the pad for the tire tread to bite into. I was looking at some huldtins eco tracks for forwarders, they have an aggresive grouser and picks coming off of those, I think i will copy that design.

240b

get the purpose built machine.  I've had both, the skid steer will do a little of everything and a lot of nothing well. (except send you to the chiropractor)

sjfarkas

I have a bobcat T320. track machine and it is great.  I think that the tracks will last in the woods.  I don't think that loading a full size log truck would be all that efficient loading with a skid steer(CTL).  I think that it could do it, b ut I think an excavator would do it much easier.  It would have to be at least a 30k lbs machine though.  You could do it with a smaller machine, but then it's a toss up between a skid steer(CTL) and an excavator.  If you decide to go with a skid steer then I would recomend looking at the bolt on steel cleets over the rubber tracks.  then you would have great traction and the key to long track life is not spinning them which happens in the woods.  I've put over 3000 hours on bobcat track machines in the woods and in construction(about 50% each) so if you have any questions on them feel free to send me a message.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

Bobus2003

With all the Talk of the CTL's, I believe Bobcat is Coming out with or already have it as an option to get Steel Tracks on the CTL.. It was recommended when I was looking at buying a new S330 w/Mulcher Head That i get the Steel tracks if i got a tracked model

Jim H

I know a few tree guys that use the small swing (articulated) loaders to move logs. They are using TCM 806's and seem to handle good sized logs (3-4000lbs) when used with care. They are way easier on the ground and seem fairly manuverable, also looks like a smoother ride and easier on and off compared to a skid-steer.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

barbender

If I was mulching or brush clearing, that Bobcat with the steel tracks would be my first choice. We've used ASVs and a Case CTL, ASVs are grteat for traction and low impact, horrible for durability. Our Case CT450 has about 500 hours, the tracks are missing chunks already. They see some severe use, but no more severe than woods use. I agree if you are going to be loading trucks, a skid loader is going to leave something to be desired. Unless you are just loading 2 tons or something that you aren't stacking real high. My skid loader works for me because I just use it to sort and stack, the trucks that haul for me have a truck mounted loader.

Thank You Sponsors!