iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any ideas on what this is?

Started by Nomad, November 17, 2019, 12:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKehl

Definitely try the magnet test.  That will tell a lot quick and easy.

I don't work in a scrap yard, but do run a metallurgy lab.  When asked how big, I show them a bit that is half the size of a BB and say that I can work with smaller, but it is fast and easy if it is at least that big. Then I can use the handheld gun instead of the scanning electron microscope. 

I doesn't harm the sample to take a surface reading.  You shoot it with some X-Rays and the meter looks for the energy decay signature to determine the element(s).  (I mostly work with alloys.)  Takes about 5 seconds for most metals.  If I have to grind/polish to get through rust, carbon, etc. to get to metal, that is the only harm done.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

markdvsmo

Meteorite!

(I'm only half kidding.  Could happen.)

Nomad

One of the first things I did was check it with a very powerful magnet.  It is non-magnetic.  Sounds like it's plenty big enough to test it.  No way this thing was ever fired from a gun.  Much too hard, and the shape is all wrong. 
     Non-magnetic, barely reads on a metal detector, black, too hard to scratch with a file...  I'm wondering if it could be a piece of stone?  Shattered on three sides and the rest is a rounded surface, like the tooth of a gear.  Would be an oddly shaped stone, but possible I suppose.  Or maybe a piece of ceramic?  I'm mystified.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Chuck White

If the piece you were resawing had been in a welding shop or was loaded on a truck or trailer, it could possibly be a piece of welding slag!

When a welder was chipping away some of the slag, it could have launched some distance and then being hot, imbedded itself into the wood!

Just a little thinking "outside the box"!  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Nomad

Chuck, that's as good a theory as anything else I've heard, or come up with myself. :D
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Nomad

I believe I've figured it out. 8)  It is a piece of stone.  A piece of flat, water eroded stone like you'd skip across a creek or lake.  The profile matches perfectly.  How it got there?  I dunno.  Maybe the timber got dragged across some, or run over by a truck or something.  Need to find a mineralogist to verify that.
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Normang

Nomad

WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!