iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which mill do I want - swing or band?

Started by samm, March 14, 2019, 11:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

Quote from: samm on March 14, 2019, 09:32:56 PM
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on March 14, 2019, 08:28:07 PM
Scott's not talking about the ends but instead of the whole timbers.
Yep - can anchorseal be applied to faces too or is that a no-no?
Talk about tarping - how does a guy seal a flatbed load like I see sometimes on the highway.. it looks like a vacuum seal, or a heat-shrink seal, or some sort of ultra-stretch tarp.  Usually it's covering some fancy pants HVAC or millwright equipment straight from the factory.  How does one seal a load to that degree?  That ought to do the trick?
Do not Anchorseal the faces of the timbers; otherwise they will never dry. It would be best if you transported during the cooler months so that you don't need to worry about mold / mildew developing on the timbers underneath the truck tarps.
No need (or desire) to fully seal the load - all that you need to do is keep the road wind off of the timbers during transport so that you don't hyper -dry the surfaces.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

mad murdock

I am in NW Oregon coast range and use the turbosawmill chainsaw powered warrior. I upgraded it to an 8" cut and am in the process of a further upgrade to be able to mill up to 32' long. It is bar none the most versátil mill I have ever seen. There is no limit as to log diameter. The newer turnosawmill offerings are awesome machines but are geared for operator ease, comfort and production. I wanted a mill for precision and agility. I cut high value redwood, wrc and Douglas fir mostly CVG. Can't be done easily on a band mill without lots of expensive handling machinery. The turbosawmill allows setup over large logs with minimal tools and you can attack the log from any grain configuration without turning the log. Reduced need for large equipment except as needed for the size of timbers coming off the mill. There are planet blades available as well for surfacing on the spot. Also slabbing options with an Alaskan mill or attaching it to the same Turbosawmill beam. I have done a lot of work remotely. With the chainsaw powered mill it is very easy. Fairly easy too with the trailering package for the bigger turbosawmills. Depends on what all you want to do. Spend a bit of time looking at YouTube vids to see the options and operational differences between different mills to see what might work best for you. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!