iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grey Fuel Cap on Brand New 346xp ??

Started by g_man, December 12, 2010, 11:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g_man

A while back I decided that I was going to get a 346xp to replace my burned up small saw. I finally was able to get it yesterday. I got it with a 16" bar that takes  a 3/8 .058 chain. I had intended to do the muffler mod and was trying to decide when to do it.
I was looking at the little book and saw a place where it said saws with a green fuel cap have a cat muffler.
Well - Mine has a grey cap. Does that mean it has a non-cat muffler ? How can I tell for sure ?
The dealer where I bought it has a lot of Canadian product. Is the green cap & cat muffler just a US thing ? Thanks for the help.

cheyenne

I think I read somewhere the ones with .058 chain were made for the Asian Market & are non cat...........Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

HolmenTree

Quote from: g_man on December 12, 2010, 11:42:34 AM
A while back I decided that I was going to get a 346xp to replace my burned up small saw. I finally was able to get it yesterday. I got it with a 16" bar that takes  a 3/8 .058 chain. I had intended to do the muffler mod and was trying to decide when to do it.
I was looking at the little book and saw a place where it said saws with a green fuel cap have a cat muffler.
Well - Mine has a grey cap. Does that mean it has a non-cat muffler ? How can I tell for sure ?
The dealer where I bought it has a lot of Canadian product. Is the green cap & cat muffler just a US thing ? Thanks for the help.
I'm from Canada and yes the grey gas cap is non-cat muffler.My 346 has a grey as well. I have a Husqvarna blower with a green cap and it has a cat muffler [gets very hot]. In the USA I believe only the green cap 346's are now only available.

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

SawTroll

On most markets, the "e-tech" version with green cap and cat muffler is just an option - in the US it varies which version is imported, depending on Huskys "EPA-score" at the time of the import.

Over here you actually have to pay extra for the "e-tech" version..... :D :D
Information collector.

g_man

Sounds like I got lucky and don't have to buy a $50 muffler. The dealer is quite close to the Canadian border and I'm pretty sure that is how this saw got here. The bar, chain, and drive rim were a change over from the .325 pitch standard that the shop did for me at no charge.

Thanks for the info

Cut4fun

Quote from: HolmenTree on December 12, 2010, 01:24:11 PM
In the USA I believe only the green cap 346's are now only available.

Willard.

Last 2 I bought here grey cap. Ones on the shelf now grey cap in Ohio.  ;)

HolmenTree

Quote from: Cut4fun on December 12, 2010, 06:47:46 PM

Willard.

Probably alot of old inventory hanging around the country with todays economic times. I don't believe there is any more grey caps coming across the pond.
Whats the year and week on your serial#'s?

Willard

g_man

Mine is: 10 2501308 purchased 12-11-2010
I have no idea how to decode year and week. Maybe you can tell me.

Rocky_J

I know the 10 indicates the year of manufacture (2010) but that's as far as I can decipher it.

HolmenTree

Quote from: g_man on December 13, 2010, 07:23:45 AM
Mine is: 10 2501308 purchased 12-11-2010
I have no idea how to decode year and week. Maybe you can tell me.
g man your saw is the 1308 unit built in the 25 week of 2010.

Willard,

g_man

Thanks - So it is about 6 month old inventory - built the end of June and most likely imported soon after.

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on December 12, 2010, 01:44:49 PM

On most markets, the "e-tech" version with green cap and cat muffler is just an option - in the US it varies which version is imported, depending on Huskys "EPA-score" at the time of the import.

Over here you actually have to pay extra for the "e-tech" version..... :D :D
I have never seen a green cap e-tech saw before, only on a Husqvarna blower I own.....

Willard.

Cut4fun

Willard, you want me to buy a green cap and mail it to you   ???  you could be the talk of the town with that greenie :D

SawTroll

Quote from: Cut4fun on December 12, 2010, 06:47:46 PM

Willard.

I have heard of several gray cap ones sold in the US lately - in fact close to all the later ones have been....
Information collector.

jackpine

I just picked up a new 346 Friday and it has the grey fuel cap also. My dealer told me all that he sold this year were the same and that he cannot get any more 346's until next year even tho he has 2 on order. Husky told him it has something to do with emmissions. Is it possible that  the EPA only let so many non-catalytic saws into the country in any one year?
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!