iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Compression

Started by Lnewman, June 30, 2013, 10:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lnewman

How do you determine the compression of a chainsaw? And how do you determine the optimal reading?
Stihl 170, 210MS, 290MS, 441MS and Hudson bandsaw

pabst79

You need a compression tester, take out the spark plug, thread in the hose end of your compression gauge and give the saw a couple of pulls. Check the psi and your done!  :)
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

sawguy21

You should get a minimum of 125 psi if the engine is healthy. Hold the throttle open during the process. Better yet, remove the muffler and check for scoring/galling on the piston.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Lnewman

How often do you do the compression test?

Ianab

When you are trying to work out why your saw wont start?
Or working out if a used saw is worth buying?

It not something you would do as a routine. All it tells you is if the saw is worn out. If it fails the compression test it's time to take it apart and rebuild it.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

bandmiller2

After you have used many saws you can get a reasonable idea of its condition by how hard it is to pull over.A professional saw that spins over easy is suspect, time to pull the muffler and peek.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

nixon

Lnewman,
Right now I'm in allegheny hosp. Doing chemo for a week .
If you can spare the time , i'll check your saws compression when I return home. I live in cherry twp just north of West Sunbury .
Stihl            044 ,ms 460
Husqvarna.   346xp ,550xp, 562xp
                   372xp ,390xp, 395xp

mkjones32

Quote from: nixon on July 02, 2013, 10:27:32 AM
Lnewman,
If you can spare the time , i'll check your saws compression when I return home. I live in cherry twp just north of West Sunbury .

Hope your health improves Nixon!  You sound like a great guy offering to help out a fellow forum member after a chemo appt.. This is why I hang out here, people go above and beyond to help one another what a great online community.  Have a happy 4th of July all!

Kevin

nixon

Quote from: mkjones32 on July 03, 2013, 08:54:21 AM

Hope your health improves Nixon!  You sound like a great guy offering to help out a fellow forum member after a chemo appt.. This is why I hang out here, people go above and beyond to help one another what a great online community.  Have a happy 4th of July all!

Kevin
I probably live less than 10 miles from him . So, i thought I'd help out.
I'll probably just hand him the guage and let him go to town pulling . This chemo wears you out. :) of course i've got two triaxle loads of oak and locust poles ,so he'd be welcome to try out of few of my saws while he's here . Heck I even have spare chaps ! :)
All kidding aside  , if you can do a neighbor a favor , it's a good thing to do.
                   372xp ,390xp, 395xp

mkjones32

Absolutely on helping out a neighbor.  I have been trying the extra saw and chaps thing for a few years now.  FYI it doesn't work ;D

Lnewman

Hope you're okay Nixon  our prayers are with you. Let me know when you're feeling like it and I will stop by and cut up a few of your logs

AdkStihl

Quote from: pabst79 on July 01, 2013, 09:35:39 PMgive the saw a couple of pulls. Check the psi and your done!  :)

No.......you want to pull the saw over until the gauge stops rising. This may take 10 pulls if necessary
J.Miller Photography

nixon

Quote from: Lnewman on July 03, 2013, 04:43:32 PM
Hope you're okay Nixon  our prayers are with you. Let me know when you're feeling like it and I will stop by and cut up a few of your logs
Thanks for the kind words . I was jk on having cut wood , but I'd be glad to let you use the comp. tester,and meet you. I'll give you a shout when I'm between sessions . It' s 5-6 days of chemo , and 21 day off  For 6 sessions. So it'll likely be the weekend following this one .
All the best, John
                   372xp ,390xp, 395xp

turbo885

Nixon and lnewman we are having a chainsaw get together in ellwood city the 31st. of august if you can make it.                         BILL

nixon

Bill , i read about that else where as well . If circumstances allow, I 'd love to be there .
                   372xp ,390xp, 395xp

HolmenTree

Quote from: nixon on July 02, 2013, 10:27:32 AM
Lnewman,
Nixon I hope things improve for you health wise. Up here in northern Manitoba some  folks with cancer are  drinking tea [even added to coffee] made from 100% pure Chaga Mushroom which grows on the bark of a birch tree. This powder has proven with good success I'm told. I drink it as a preventive and it tastes not bad on its own.
I also have to say you have an excellent lineup of saws 8)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

nixon

Quote from: HolmenTree on July 03, 2013, 11:41:35 PM
Nixon I hope things improve for you health wise. Up here in northern Manitoba some  folks with cancer are  drinking tea [even added to coffee] made from 100% pure Chaga Mushroom which grows on the bark of a birch tree. This powder has proven with good success I'm told. I drink it as a preventive and it tastes not bad on its own.
I also have to say you have an excellent lineup of saws 8)
Judging from all the tests , things were caught in time , so it's just a matter of doing what the docs say . I'll see what I can find locally on the Chaga Mushrooms , thanks !
Thanks for the compliment on the saws ! I'm scheming a way to get a 395xp when all this other stuff is behind me . Just trying to calculate the amount of jewelry ,and honey do's it will cost  :) .
                   372xp ,390xp, 395xp

Lnewman

Bill,  where in  Elwood city is the event?   

turbo885

Quote from: Lnewman on July 04, 2013, 10:48:47 AM
   Bill,  where in  Elwood city is the event?   

Wayne twp. volunteer fire dept. will be having a get together AUGUST 31
adress is 5153 ellwood rd. ellwood city pa 16117. Just outside of ellwood city on rt. 65 about a 1/4 mile north of town

thecfarm

nixon,good luck to ya. sorry to hear of your troubles. keep on sawing!!!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nixon

Quote from: thecfarm on July 05, 2013, 08:00:24 AM
Thank you very much! I've got about 5 more sessions to go (6 days plugged in ) 21 days off . But things are responding nicely .
As soon as i'm free and clear , I'm getting a 395 xp that I've been after and having it ported . Seems like there will have to be some jewelry for my wife involved, but she's been a real trooper through all this.
                   372xp ,390xp, 395xp

JohnG28

Quote from: nixon on July 05, 2013, 06:16:15 PM
Quote from: thecfarm on July 05, 2013, 08:00:24 AM
Thank you very much! I've got about 5 more sessions to go (6 days plugged in ) 21 days off . But things are responding nicely .
As soon as i'm free and clear , I'm getting a 395 xp that I've been after and having it ported . Seems like there will have to be some jewelry for my wife involved, but she's been a real trooper through all this.
Good to hear that things are going well for you, hope it continues that way. As for jewelry for the wife, or something of the sort, I too know the barter process for new toys. :D At least everyone is happy in the end. ;D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

deerslayer

One note regarding compression. While low compression is usually an indicator that something is wrong, high (normal) compression does not necessarily indicate all is well. I have seen a number of badly scored pistons produce compression readings in the normal range. It is a useful tool but to ensure good engine integrity it should be coupled with an actual view of the piston and cylinder. A few minutes removing the muffler will generally provide this view. If the spark plug is out as well then shining a light in  one hole allows easy viewing in the other.

I agree with the poster saying a compression reading may take a lot of pulls. I usually pull the engine through 8-10 times or until the gauge stops rising. Also, I haven't found that it makes a difference whether the throttle is open or closed. You'll wind up at the same reading either way.

One thing to also check is to ensure the compression release (if equipped) is closed and not leaking. Many heart palpitations have been caused by people thinking their engine was sick and that's all it was.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

nixon

Mr. Newman .
I've been sprung from the hospital ,but I'm pretty rough around the edges right now . ( not to mention pretty medicated  :). )
If You'd like, give me a call this weekend ,and you can drop by and pick up the gauge .   
All the best , John
637-0085
                   372xp ,390xp, 395xp

Thank You Sponsors!