iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Virgin Timber

Started by Junior437t, September 16, 2005, 09:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior437t

I saw an article a good while ago about a big stand of virgin timber, I believe it was in North Carolina. I am planning on taking off a few days next week and go probably to Winston Salem, NC. It seems like the article talked like it was a park. I have searched on Google and had no luck.  Is anyone familiar with it? Thanks

Tom

I suspected that it might be the Great Dismal Swamp.  But, an article I googled up indicated that the last of Virgin Timber (20,000 acres) was cut there in the 50's.

I'm reading an article now about Grahm County and they claim to be the last frontier and have virgin timber.

http://www.main.nc.us/graham/history.html

The sites on the following link don't claim Virgin Forest but do claim "old growth".   The Joyce Kilmer might be worth looking at, it sounds pretty.

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/activity/wildlife/topten_oldgrowth2.htm

Phorester

I suspect you are talking about the Pisgah National Forest near Ashville, NC.  Lots of other sites also in that area of NC for ones interested in forestry.  While there you can tour my summer home, some call The Biltmore Estate.   ;D

Enjoy.

pigman

Quote from: Phorester on September 16, 2005, 10:51:45 PM

While there you can tour my summer home, some call The Biltmore Estate. ;D

Enjoy.
Phorester,  I thought I heard someone in my house last summer. The house is so large that people move in and I don't even know they are there. ;)

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Phorester

Yep, that's it.  Smaller than we're used to, but you can always play in the yard.

pigman

Quote from: Phorester on September 16, 2005, 11:13:40 PM

Yep, that's it. Smaller than we're used to, but you can always play in the yard.
For a small house it is not bad. My other house here in Ky is much larger. 8)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

DanG

I peeped inside of that shanty once.  I couldn't believe the tiny little fireplace in the dining room....or was that the breakfast nook?  Ya couldn't put a log longer than about 20 feet in there!  ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Don P

While in W-S check out Old Salem, the Moravian community. The true cradle of forestry in this country. Buy Moravian cookies ;) :). Reynolda Village and Tanglewood Garden are both nice gardens there.
If you do get up to Vanderbilt's place look around, most of Pisgah was his hunting grounds. Check out how many linenfold raised panels are in the house, machines don't make that. It was just one of those details made made me realize the scale of that project. The official Cradle of Forestry is up there off the parkway. Joyce Kilmer is probably where you are hearing about the virgin stand. There are other pockets, but that is where most folks hear about.

Junior437t

Thanks for the replies. Joyce Kilmer seems to be the place I read about. We are planning to visit it. Thanks.

Thank You Sponsors!