iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Construction question

Started by Dan_Shade, August 16, 2015, 05:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I have a block wall about 4 feet tall, with 2x6 framing sitting on the block wall, the 2x6 is flush with the front of the block wall.  I have 7/16 OSB nailed to the 2x6 frame.

I want to install a prehung entry door into the opening, do I need to special order a door that's fabricated to compensate for the block portion of the wall? 

Also, what's the best way to trim out the gap that will be between the brick mold and the block on the bottom 4 feet?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ljohnsaw

I would think a normal pre-hung door will work.  You will need to have masonry anchors to hold it.  Did you happen to leave enough room to "frame" inside the block opening to mount your door?  By that, I mean you could use some pressure treated (because it is in contact with concrete) 2x6 vertically attached to the block and studs in the door opening.  That would have given you something to nail/screw your door frame into.  I would trim out under the brick mold with some narrow OSB stuck on with Liquid Nails.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Dan_Shade

I have enough space to frame in pressure treated lumber.

I am concerned about OSB rotting out against the block part.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ljohnsaw

Yeah, I suppose that the liquid nails would isolate the wood.  Or you could use some backer foam rods, spray foam/caulk.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Dan_Shade

I'm thinking about using pvc to trim out below the OSB.

from front to back is about 8 1/4", I think I'll see if I can get a custom door frame.

redbeard

Search a ( metal collapsible split jamb ) if your opening is a standard size there not too bad on the wallet.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

limbwood

You could get a 6- 9/16 thick jamb , take off brick mold add, jamb extension on outside to 8 1/8 reattach brick mold. Your sill will be inset a little. If you dont have door flush on inside it wont open past 90 degrees to far, and will hit inside corner of cement wall. Tack a strip of green treated wood on back of brick mold on bottom half before installing

justallan1

I agree with Redbeard on looking into a prefab metal jamb. They fit right over blocks and your door will swing all the way open.

Dan_Shade

I ordered a prefab door from 84 lumber with an 8 1/4" jamb.

Thanks for the input.

Ljohnsaw

Wow, I didn't know 84 Lumber still existed!  They closed the one store we had here about 30 or so years ago.  And then Lumber Jack closed about 20 years ago, replaced by HD and Lowes.
John Sawicky

Raider Bill

There's still a 84 in Madisonville Tn.
Lumber is cheaper there than blue or orange and it also seem to be a better grade.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!