iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing through growth rings; how bad is it?

Started by KcMatt, April 13, 2024, 11:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KcMatt

I tried uploading photos but they are too big and I'm too much of a dinosaur to resize them.

So I have 3 walnut logs that have been sitting in the yard for about 2 years in the shade and I'm finally cutting them up.  Two of them have a good cup about 4" in 8' or so and the growth rings follow the bark.  Problem is, I want to flat saw them and I'm not sure how that will work out. They are too big for my mill so today I cut them down with a csm to a size my neighbors Dingo 1000 can pick up. 

To flat saw these will mean cutting through many growth rings.  Should I just call them firewood from the start or what?  They could be some good size boards rift or quarter sawn but that's kind of ugly in walnut.  I do need firewood but walnut isn't great for that.

If I'm aiming for 4/4 should I cut them 5/4 or 6/4 and flatten them after drying?

fluidpowerpro

If the photo is on your phone I have found that if I email it to myself it compresses it so it's no longer as large.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

KcMatt

Quote from: fluidpowerpro on April 13, 2024, 11:29:39 PMIf the photo is on your phone I have found that if I email it to myself it compresses it so it's no longer as large.
Thanks for your advice my dude.  Unfortunately I'm about out of time as I'm cutting these up tomorrow.  I guess I will slice the cants and if the boards bow toss them in the firewood pile and if they don't, hope for the best. 

scsmith42

I would flat saw them full width but somewhat over thickness.  If the boards cup, the craftsperson can always rip them down the center of the cup and reglue them.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

doc henderson

Walnut is great firewood, but its beauty makes it a sought-after wood for working.  After all the talk about crook and sawing into cants for another mill, how wide will these be?  I will barely throw a hand sized chunk of walnut in the burn barrel in my shop.  My neighbor will make it part of a segmented bowl.  what are the plans for the wood?  Projects?  Many feel it is good to saw walnut after it has set in the log a while.  It may look greenish or purple off the mill but will darken to brown while drying.  mill it and stack it with stickers well, and that will help as much as anything.  If the log has some bow to it you can cut int in half and reduce the bow and get more boards.  of course, they will be shorter, so it depends on the proposed use.  jewelry boxes yes, wall panels no.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

rusticretreater

What you call a cup in a log is called sweep in sawmilling circles.  If you grade logs, you downgrade according to the amount of sweep.

4" of sweep in 8' is not all that much.  Doc gives you good advice.  If you want full slabs for tables, etc.  Stack and sticker and weight it down good or strap it tight so that it won't move.  Maybe Doc will point you to one of his obsessive, super neatnik stickered lumber stack pictures.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

firefighter ontheside

I find walnut to be very forgiving and dries pretty straight even in those conditions.  If you're afraid of the lumber bowing though, you can set it on the mill with the crown to the side.  Then you will not be sawing through growth rings, but you will have bow shaped slabs, but they will be more likely to stay flat.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!