iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I've seen a lot of holes in old white pine timbers (200 years +) that look like ppb. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom King

Those are probably Old House Borers.  Looks like a shotgun shot it with bird shot.  Allows more penetration for Boracare.

richhiway

Quote from: Southside on November 29, 2021, 07:54:47 PM
Pretty Cherry, but I think you need to adjust the focus, or balance, or something on your camera.  The ground looks all bleached out, can't see anything other than white.   :D
November has been fairly mild but we finally had our first snow on Sunday. It's all down hill from here.  :D
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

caveman

I was glad to see this load go away even though we took a thrashing on it.  We sawed 1 1/8" x 5 1/2" for a guy several weeks ago.  He never got it.  Odd size.  A regular customer inquired about it and we made him a very good deal.  Sometimes a lot of work goes into making a little money.

We got a couple of pretty nice piles of cypress logs yesterday.  I see mantles, live edged slabs and possibly some dimensional lumber coming out of them.

The cedar was from a small job from some inferior logs that I sawed on Friday.  It was like getting butter from a duck but we got some nice boards and a garter snake curled up in the wrong rotten log.

Caveman

Bruno of NH

More long leaf pine beams.
Have to use lots of lube and clean the band wheel belts.
Spruce and hemlock the rest of the day.
Finally getting more logs in .

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Nebraska

I found a bullet a few days ago....  ::)

It was out of a  yard tree belonging to one of our techs families. Great big Green Ash tree blew down during a storm last spring.  It was in the farm yard. I suppose Grandpa was shooting at a raccoon.  I took most of it for firewood, sawed a short section of trunk for some lumber and  cut a few bench slabs for them from the branches. Maybe the bullet will end up in a coffee table. Didn't do the blade any good 😕.
No good deed goes un punished.

WV Sawmiller

I started a new mobile 27 miles away job for my repeat customer and sometimes partner/log provider. We had a very good day even though we only cut about 1100 bf. We started out cutting some harsh black locust into 4X4s or as close as they would make, then pine and larch which were a bear to cut as they were full of knots. Then I cut some 18' and 5' WO into 6/4 for trailer decking for a logger who was working the customer's site. Finally I was able to cut 50 5/4X6" X 8' fence boards. Tomorrow I need to cut about that many more fence boards and he says he has 3-4 cherry logs that have been down awhile so it looks like a short day. The next day I am scheduled to drive 100 miles for a 2 day sawing job. 

432 bf of pine and larch boards and framing for the customer's neighbor. These were not fun or pretty.

6/4 18' WO for trailer and 5' for the dovetail.

50 5/4X6"X 8' RO fence boards for imminent use which is why no more stickers in use.

About a dozen 4X4 locust for raised planter beds.

Today's slab pile. The customer has done good about removing slabs and stacking boards as finished. He did get some breaks as I had to crawl the saw through the pine, larch and WO and even one RO crotch. Should be an easy day tomorrow.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

I forgot to take a finished picture but the only difference is in the first the stack is much taller and has a couple of cherry 4X4s and 2X4s on top. I finished the RO fence boards then sawed a few old cherry logs into 5/4 and the last 2 just sawed into 4X4 and 2X4 for  table kegs and such which I find to be a good use when a customer brings you as 6" diameter walnut or cherry log and says he has no plans for it but doesn't want to see it go to waste.

I finished 667 bf by early afternoon, packed up, washed the mill and put my used blades up and got some more out now heading for a 100 mile one way, 2 day trip early tomorrow.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bruno of NH

My first time sawing frozen Larch,  it sawed out nice.
Got some nice clear 6x6x12 and some porch decking .
Was around 10° or less with the wind chill.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

My customer unloading more logs this morning.  Shoulda turned and taken a picture of the sawmill in the fog.

YH said that if it will not roll it ain't a log.  I started sawing this snag off before I realized that it was too tall for the throat.  Backed out, whacked it off, and then finished the trim.  ;D

This ugly Red Oak log became another 10X10.  The bacteria stain was prurdy.  :)

One more day (probably Tuesday) and I will finish the first phase of this sawing job.  I have that 106 mile Longleaf Pine job to finish beginning the 13th.  It's the one where the skid steer caught fire and there are ~30 logs left to saw.  My plans are for that job to close out my 2021 sawing year.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Quote from: Magicman on December 03, 2021, 08:52:47 PM
YH said that if it will not roll it ain't a log.  I started sawing this snag off before I realized that it was too tall for the throat.  Backed out, whacked it off, and then finished the trim.  ;D
smiley_thumbsup

Here's a log I sawed up this week.  It's got some unusual color.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doc henderson

old standing dead elm from a while back, milled this eve.

<br

shown end to end.  a bit of maple under the elm.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

What is that YH - an Ambrosia Pecan?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DesertHobo

Nothing extraordinary. Some bookmatched ash on the mill just before dinner. The blade needed changing, figured it was as good a time as any for a photo op.

WV Sawmiller

I drove 99.2 miles to a new job in coal country WV today to start a new job. (When you get to Welch you turn left 15 miles before getting to War WV). I tried repeatedly to talk and price myself out of this job but to no avail.

We started on this stack and sawed about 15 of them including the worst which pushed the size limits of my mill. The smallest cant was 10" and the biggest was 20". Most were 16-18 inches. All were 8' long except the last walnut. We started on big white pine and a very big hemlock buried under the pile by the cut off poplar chunk. On my last walnut log I ran out of gas less than 2' from the end of the final cut and had to add a gallon or so to finish. I knew we'd pushed it pretty hard.

After 3-4 more of the walnut on the other stack a few small oaks here for tomorrow, 3-4 smaller pines and and even a poplar log or two back there. Should finish early afternoon.

It was after sunset when we finished and I loaded up and put a log on the mill to help prevent theft and the customer covered the stacks before I got my "after" photos so here is what I could get. All stacks are 8' long and 4' to 5' wide and for about 10"-30". We did not tally yet but I'd guess we did 2000 bf or close to it.

2 walnut logs, maybe 100 bf. I showed the water trick and this looks like meatal. I'll have to check that in the morning.  

All flat stacked.

I guess I must have been the most interesting thing in town as everybody in town seemed to stop by and watch. Several helped grab a slab or stack a board or load a log or two and one logger friend stopped by and wanted a card for a future Yellow Pine sawing job. I never get yellow mile here in WV. He laughed and said he doesn't either which is why he was interested in having it sawed. Apparently his normal markets don't buy it. We will see how that works out. I just wish he were closer. I may have to look into hotels and per diem instead of the extra mileage. Probably would not cost the customer any more and would save wear and tear on my aging and decrepit body and equipment.

BTW for our "Eskimos" on the forum - it was in the 60's and a beautify day once the sun rose.
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

Doc that second slab photo gets me all bubbly feeling. If you were closer I would run over and see if we could make a deal. I think with some nice finishing working and a pair of Ritelegs, it would be something special. Nice wood. We don't run into elm here much in my woods.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 03, 2021, 10:56:32 PM....................

BTW for our "Eskimos" on the forum - it was in the 60's and a beautify day once the sun rose.
Great post, but you could have left that last line out.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

What? That's like leaving out the punch line on a good joke. And it was so true. :D
Howard Green

Magicman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 03, 2021, 10:56:32 PMWhen you get to Welch you turn left 15 miles before getting to War WV.
War, WV is where our church group built the 16'X24' food distribution building with lumber that I sawed here and we hauled it there for the building.  That project won First Place and the People's Choice Award in the Wood-Mizer Personal Best Contest in 2013.  

Visit my website and the video is on the home page.  (The website link in under my avatar.)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

Tom, if you were closer, we would trade and barter all kinds of stuff.  I would expect to see you around quitting time also.   smiley_beertoast
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

olcowhand

Quote from: doc henderson on December 03, 2021, 09:44:47 PM
old standing dead elm from a while back, milled this eve.

<br

shown end to end.  a bit of maple under the elm.
Doc,
Was that standing dead Elm hard to saw? I have one that's ~25" DBH that I intend to put on my Sawmill sometime soon. I was under the impression that it saws hard.....
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

doc henderson

It sawed great, almost easier than green.  the fibers cut instead of dragging the band off the cut.  

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

I was certain you'd remember the name and circumstances. We were sawing on a flood plain the customer had leased. He could not build anything permanent there because of the flood you came in to help after. I was noticing that is just a dirt poor region. I drove through the community of Premier WV and the US Post office there looks to be about a 50' long, single wide mobile home.

I went back over and finished that job but forgot to get an after picture. We sawed 3804 bf in about a day and 3/4. Today was live edge 8/4 walnut slabs then 4/4 Red oak then 8/4 framing (2X4 & 2X6's) out of smaller (12-16 inch diameter) pine, hemlock and poplar. At the end I sawed 2 very large diameter cut offs about 3' long into stickers. He had a 6' one and asked about sawing it in half and I said to saw the stickers in half after as 3' stuff is a bear to clamp and turn and such. I was sawing it and he decided the boards were too pretty to sticker so we made wide boards out of them too.

I had some of the best help I've had and there was almost always a log on the loading arms and I never had to wait for a slab or board to be moved. I smelled what I thought was Alanthus (Stink tree) burning and found my helper had stepped over to the trailer to smoke a joint. Now I know what burning pot smells like and why he was such a happy helper. Even if he was closer I could not use him with such habits but he was as good a helper as I've had.
Howard Green

Magicman

Yup, we saw much evidence of dope activities while we were there but none of it affected our project. 

I often wonder what became of the building that we built in 4½ days.  I suspect that someone is living in it.

Thank You Sponsors!