iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree ID NC (multiple)

Started by mrheelz, October 30, 2021, 01:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrheelz

Hi, I'm in the process of letting my back yard go natural/native. I've been removing invasives and I need help identifying this tree. Tree of Heaven? Black Walnut? I don't see any of those big green walnuts laying around.

EDIT: It's actually two different trees. I assumed they were the same kind.
EDIT: While I'm at it, I put up two more trees (Tree 3 and 4)

Many thanks for taking a look!

TREE 1: Confirmed black walnut

TREE 2: Unknown??

TREE 3: Pretty sure it's hickory, but what kind?

TREE 4: I didn't get one of the canopy, but it has to be 70 ft tall. Cherry?

IndiLina

Sure looks like black walnut to me. 
Tracts in So. Indiana, Nor. NC, SW Virginia

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Southside

First photo shows opposite leaf, last is alternate leaf.  Not from the same tree.  The aborted terminal leaf in the first picture says Walnut.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

KEC

Not butternut, first 2 pics look like black walnut and the 3rd  I'm not sure. Maybe  elm.

mrheelz

Ohp, you're right. I assumed the two trees were the same. I've corrected it above. 

The first one is confirmed black walnut. I went digging through the underbrush and found an old nut. Not sure what the second one is, though. Added a new pic.

WDH

Tree 1 is walnut
Tree 2 is an ornamental plum it sweet cherry
Tree 3 is pignut hickory 
Tree 4 is black cherry. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mrheelz

Oh, cherry plum. Interesting. I guess that's a keeper. I've removed so much privet and bamboo it's insane.

Thank You Sponsors!