iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I wanna start a war...

Started by mrcaptainbob, January 12, 2022, 10:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcaptainbob

I should really replace this MS310. Enough is enough. It's served well. Many, MANY cords under it's blade (belt). Always ran a 20" bar. Loved it.
What (here's the war part...) should I replace it with? Echo? Another Stihl? Something else?

beenthere

Replace with a MS362C, would be my suggestion. Why risk being disappointed? ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

cuznguido

Not trying to influence you but, I had a 310 for long time.  Still have a 261 and 462, but also bought a 590 Echo couple years ago when Rural King was clearancing them out.  Assuming you are not talking about using it for commercial logging, I would buy the Echo over the 310 if the price was the same.  As soon as I stumble up on one, I intend to get a 620 and never look back.  Your results may vary :):)

Ianab

Well, do you regret buying the 310?  As you say, it has cut a lot of firewood, and that's the market it's designed for. 

If it's served you well, then no reason not to buy another ms-31X, it should serve you the same. 

A "Pro" saw like the ms-36X IS a better saw, but it's priced accordingly.

And not discounting the husky / echo / makita options, as they all make some decent saws too. Often it comes down to what your more trusted local dealer happens to sell. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Spike60

Changing brands always carries some additional risk of disappointment. Handle angles, controls, balance. Sometimes a guy just doesn't like the feel. Sounds like you do like the 310, so like beenthere suggests, a 362 should at least be given a look before changing brands. Plus keeping the 310 as back up, you'll be runiing the same bar and chain for both saws. The Echo 60cc chassis are nice saws, but they use the old 176 McCulloch/Echo mount bar and a 70DL chain. Not likely to find the bar at any shop, other than a decent Echo dealer. But most shops should have that 70dl chain for all the XL12's that are still hanging on out there.

Now, there's no more of a Husky/Jonsered guy on the planet than me, And I realize I've actually recommended a stihl. Maybe I'm up too early and not functioning yet? LOL But while most of us have strong brand preferences, we aren't serving each other well if we automatically recommend our favorites without considering the other guys needs/experiences may be different than our own.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

ButchC

A war? on a chainsaw forum?? Never happened!, Well maybe bar oil or mix ratios,, LOL.

While the farm ranch saw line at Stihl are decent saws I have never heard of a person who regretted the step up to a professional saw. Is a saw just a tool that does a job for you or do you enjoy using an excellent tool? Answer that question and if you enjoy a quality tool take the step up to a pro line saw from the big 2, or 3 and enjoy. You will soon forget the extra $$$ you paid, like in the first two cuts.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Magicman

I replaced my MS310 with an MS362.  LINK

Yup, it's still a 60cc saw but everything just feels right for me and my use.

It wears this 25" bar and sees almost daily use when I am sawing....used it yesterday.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Real1shepherd

I like Bob's comment about ergonomics. You get used to the way a particular brand feels and balances during your work. Switching to a different marque runs the risk of not liking how it feels in your hands working and forcing your brain to rewire its pleasure centers to fit the new saw purchase.

And.....I like the comment about a comparison between like a cheap HF type tool and a pro tool. As was said, other than the money spent, I never hear anyone complain about using a real pro tool against a cheaper tool.

But, saying get a Squeal because it's a better saw than anyone else makes it just pedantic drivel.

Kevin

YellowHammer

Stay with the same brand of you like it, the same dealer if you like them and the same size if it feels good.

I'd never go down on Hp but have never been disappointed going up.

I much prefer Pro models, as much for the warranty as well as the decreased el cheapo parts put in the lower grade models of the same brand.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Hilltop366

Depending on what size wood you are regularly cutting you may enjoy a 50cc saw, going from a older 59cc farm saw to a new 50cc pro it will feel light in your hands and if you are mostly cutting smaller firewood it won't make much difference in speed....however if you are using most of the bar most of the time you will probably miss the extra cc.

donbj

Quote from: Spike60 on January 13, 2022, 04:44:04 AMNow, there's no more of a Husky/Jonsered guy on the planet than me,

Well, I'll be a close second!:D

On second thought, maybe that should go to Kevin
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

ladylake

I'd get a Echo Cs 590 or 620 a long time before any lower level Husky or Stihl saw.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Real1shepherd

Quote from: donbj on January 13, 2022, 08:46:37 PM
Quote from: Spike60 on January 13, 2022, 04:44:04 AMNow, there's no more of a Husky/Jonsered guy on the planet than me,

I resemble that remark!(Three Stooges)

Kevin

donbj

Quote from: Real1shepherd on January 14, 2022, 11:11:42 AM
Quote from: donbj on January 13, 2022, 08:46:37 PM

I resemble that remark!(Three Stooges)

Kevin
Been very quiet regarding chainsaws and the aquisitions thereof in my world lately. We sold our house and moved. Had to liquidate all the non Husky/Jonsered saws (about 40) and kept my collectors (25). They're all packed up in my storage trailer waiting for the next place to land. I go talk to them every day :D

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Real1shepherd

Quote from: donbj on January 14, 2022, 11:32:32 AMBeen very quiet regarding chainsaws and the aquisitions thereof in my world lately. We sold our house and moved. Had to liquidate all the non Husky/Jonsered saws (about 40) and kept my collectors (25). They're all packed up in my storage trailer waiting for the next place to land. I go talk to them every day :D
Don, I hope this was something you wanted and not forced upon you.

I wish you the best, really. You know how I feel about your big Huskies...;D

Wondered why you'd been silent so long.

Kevin

firefighter ontheside

I just recently went from an MS291 to an MS362, both with 20" bars.  The 291 was ok with the 20" bar, but this 362 runs circles around the 291.  Like the other guys, I recommend the 362.  Granted, I bought it used and saved about $300 over the cost of new one.  More if you consider I got a case with it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

sawguy21

No comparison, you went from a family sedan to a Ferrari. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

donbj

Quote from: Real1shepherd on January 14, 2022, 02:33:55 PM
Quote from: donbj on January 14, 2022, 11:32:32 AMBeen very quiet regarding chainsaws and the aquisitions thereof in my world lately. We sold our house and moved. Had to liquidate all the non Husky/Jonsered saws (about 40) and kept my collectors (25). They're all packed up in my storage trailer waiting for the next place to land. I go talk to them every day :D
Don, I hope this was something you wanted and not forced upon you.

I wish you the best, really. You know how I feel about your big Huskies...;D

Wondered why you'd been silent so long.

Kevin
All good. We had talked of selling and moving to different adventure. Real estate went nuts here and we took advantage of that and it went kinda faster than anticipated, like 3 days after we made the decision! Literally. I thought maybe spring time would be when it sold but it went fast.
Made a deal with another local collector regarding the saws I let go. All in one deal. I was contemplating letting those go anyway so no big deal.

mrcaptainbob

Checked the local Stihl dealer for an MS 362. Not available. Shelves had maybe ten saws. Most were 170's and such. There was one 391 and one 6 hundred something. Young guy came in and promptly purchased it. less than a five minute decision! Sounds like a 391 is almost identical to a my 310now390.
Most likely starts a LOT better, it being new and all.
Counter guy says there's a big backlog and that not much is being shipped.
Came back home.

Unclefish

I'm a Husqvarna guy like the feel and how it handles for me. If you been running a Stihl I would stick with it. I have tried using Stihls myself just can't get use to the way they feel. After reading some of the Echo threads I personally wouldn't buy one. I do own there top handle 2511 and love it so far .But it's way to new to give a review on it.

firefighter ontheside

Looks like the 391 boasts comparable HP to the 362, but weighs an extra pound for the power head.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

btulloh

If you made one cut with a 391 and then a 362 you'd pick the 362 every time. It's not just the weight, it's . . . well ... everything. Balance, power, vibration. The 391 just feels clunky. Big difference when you need to replace the sprocket too.
HM126

Magicman

I recently sawed for a customer that had an MS391.  I have no idea whether it was it or him, but it took multiple pulls to start it....every time.  smiley_headscratch

My MS362 is a "three pull" saw on the initial crank and a "one pull" saw for the rest of the day. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tacotodd

MM, your post on here about starting reminds me of my 372. Just sayin ;)
Trying harder everyday.

Woodsman26

Hey guys, I new to the forum and in South Central/Sw Colorado and cut at high elevation (9k ft-11kft)  and back down at '7800 when I cut my logs to size on the property. I have been using a Stihl 034 with a 20" bar full chisel that I bought used 10 years ago and just last week broke the trigger frame but it's still running strong as when I first bought it. I bought a very hard used Ms 361 stock 20" bar full chisel with a fresh top end and new clutch springs. I started having issues where it would run sometimes and sometimes it won't ev n start.I has left me stranded so it's time to go through the saw and replace hopefully just fuel lines maybe a coil. My compression seems to be ok but I don't have a tester to make sure. I have heard a port job and the muffler mod makes these things wicked if you have the right mull guy. Now with that being said I have taken both my saws up high and back down while tuning them both. I cut 50-60 cords a year if not more and don't hesitate to take on 36" 80-120' spruce or pine trees at high elevation. I have been so impressed with my 034 over the past decade that I refuse to get rid of it. When my 361 was running smooth I never thought about a bigger saw. I grew up with my dad and his 291 farm boss with a 16"  hadbar he for over 20yrs cutting up red and white oaks. I remember he would tackle the "36 oaks with that thing and it would take em down. I'm sure alot slower than my 361 but I remember it did a kick ass job. I decided the 361 Was a better choice than the 362 at the time. I am now looking into the bigger displacement like a 70-75cc or even 80cc to save more time in my cutting the bigger stuff. I can say that if you chose the 361 or 362 and make sure you always have a sharp ass chain, it will serve you well and you will won't regret it. I recently tried the 391. It was hard to start to begin with and it cut slower than my 361. I cut only a couple cuts with it and was so disgusted with the power to weight and lack of performance, I handed that turd right back. Definitely a saw that will dad away into the background kind of a waste of developing if you ask me. Anyhow, good luck! 
Benjamin

Thank You Sponsors!