iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My dad and I's wood hauling set up

Started by mrselfreliance, March 19, 2016, 02:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrselfreliance

Snapped a quick photo today after hauling about a 1/4 cord with the ATV.  Love the trailer my dad had made years ago.  Works great.

Just wanted to share. 

barbender

Nice setup! It looks like you can probably go anywhere with it.
Too many irons in the fire

Ljohnsaw

Like your ATV tracks.  Is that a Grizzly?  What brand tracks?  How do you like them?  How long to swap between tracks and wheels?  What did they run you?  I figure it must be better than having a SkiDoo that you can only use a few months.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

Looks like a nice set up. Will that go through the deep snow with a load? Or do you need to make a road with no load,or a small load and let it freeze up? Do any wood hauling in the summer?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

r.man

I hear good things about quads with tracks. I have a four ski trailer designed like a farm wagon that I built about 30 some years ago, used to haul it loaded down on the flat with an Elan. Had to have a hard packed trail as well as the right temperature if you loaded heavy. Worked good overall. With the quad you probably couldn't stick it in good conditions.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

mrselfreliance

Ok, I'll answer all the questions, but disclaimer first.  I'm no expert, my dad is.  It's his set up, and this is my first season cutting and hauling wood with him(just moved back close to home).  But here goes nothing.

@barbender, yea you can pretty much go anywhere. 

The only time you risk getting stuck is this time of year when the top layer is crusty and the snow underneath is like the consistency of table salt/quick sand.  Then you just need to shovel out the underneath till the tracks have something to grip.  But I'm talking 3+ feet of snow.  Less than that and it doesn't matter.

If the snow is wet and sticky, then you only get stuck if you tip sideways.

@ljohnsaw 08 King Quad 700.  I wouldn't go under 600cc with tracks and pulling wood.  Tracks take some torque.

Tracks are Camoplast Tatoos.  That's what everyone around here uses and no one has any issues.  Highly recommended. About 4K Canadian $$$.   But they will outlast your quad if you use them only in winter.

Takes about an hour to swap from wheels with 2 people. And yes, way better than a skidoo for hauling. That's what my dad used to do, never again.

@thecfarm If the snow is wet and sticky you probably could break trail with a load.  But never tried.  We do selective cutting, so we scout out an area we want to cut, then do a loop around it so it's easy in and out. We always just do one pass and no need to wait for trail to freeze.  We usually haul about half a cord at a time.

We do most of our hauling in the winter as it's easier with the tracks and sleigh.  We have a small wheeled trailer for the summer.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: mrselfreliance on March 20, 2016, 07:01:30 AM
Ok, I'll answer all the questions, but disclaimer first.  I'm no expert, my dad is.  It's his set up, and this is my first season cutting and hauling wood with him(just moved back close to home).  But here goes nothing.

@ljohnsaw 08 King Quad 700.  I wouldn't go under 600cc with tracks and pulling wood.  Tracks take some torque.

Tracks are Camoplast Tatoos.  That's what everyone around here uses and no one has any issues.  Highly recommended. About 4K Canadian $$$.   But they will outlast your quad if you use them only in winter.

Takes about an hour to swap from wheels with 2 people. And yes, way better than a skidoo for hauling. That's what my dad used to do, never again.

Thanks.  I have a Yamaha 550 but I wouldn't be hauling anything.  Just for transport and fun in the snow.  I'll have to save up my pennies. ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

mrselfreliance

Quote from: ljohnsaw on March 20, 2016, 12:05:31 PM
Quote from: mrselfreliance on March 20, 2016, 07:01:30 AM

Thanks.  I have a Yamaha 550 but I wouldn't be hauling anything.  Just for transport and fun in the snow.  I'll have to save up my pennies. ;)

You should be fine then.  My dads last quad was an Artic Cat 400 with Kimpex brand tracks(didn't like those).  He was still able to haul wood but it was a lot harder to steer.  Said his arms where dead after a couple loads.  He can go all day with the 700 now.

My plan is to find a good deal on a Yamaha Grizzly 660 and then finance a set of tracks.   

You can only steer while moving with tracks and the more power you have the easier it is.

Thank You Sponsors!