iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone else getting ready to start this years veggie plants?

Started by 21incher, March 02, 2021, 11:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Starting to think spring. Finally got my seed orders and also saved many seeds last fall so I am ready to go. Trying to grow sweet potatoes for my first time this year and have them soaking not hoping to start my own slips. Lets see what everyone is starting and how they do it. 

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

BradMarks

Planted peas a while back and they are about 2-3" tall now. Still have decent cilantro that refuses to die, and greens too, from the fall. Holdover carrots in the ground, garlic off and running. Time to start onion seeds. 

BradMarks

By the way, a very mild winter here. All the bad weather of snow and ice storms from two weeks ago were 60 miles north of us. Nary a snowflake in town this winter.

DDW_OR

had just enough snow to say we had snow
grass was green all winter
January, picked wild daisy's.
February, Frogs can be heard in the creek. and trees are budding
March, warm weather so far

garden will be in 2022. too much stuff to do this year.
will prep the new garden area this year. now it is all grass
have a 4 foot PTO rototiller and a single bottom plow
and an OLD troy-built rototiller. do not even know if it will start.

Potatoes, we just cut them into 2 inch squares, so each piece has at least two Eye's

never soaked them. sweet potatoes may be different.
"let the machines do the work"

Jeff

Since I am heating the polebarn this winter and there are two south facing windows, I'm starting my own pepper and tomato plants and perhaps some others.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

21incher

Quote from: DDW_OR on March 02, 2021, 07:47:50 PM
Potatoes, we just cut them into 2 inch squares, so each piece has at least two Eye's

never soaked them. sweet potatoes may be different.

Sweet potatoes grow from plants (slips) so you just  can't  cut them up and plant them. Supposed to take 6 weeks till vines start growing from the potatoes and develop roots. You then break them off and plant the vines. Then when you harvest  them they must be cured for a couple weeks at 80 to 90 degrees with  80 to 90 percent humidity that turns the starch to sugar giving them the sweet flavor.  

Jeff you may want  to add a couple grow lights for tomatoes until the sun gets higher in the sky.  They usually need 14 to 16 hours a day of sunlight right after germination to keep them from being tall spindly plants. Peppers germinate fastest if you use a heat mat to start the seeds.  You going  to add more beds this year?

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Jeff

Already have the lights. My son had them for other reasons. They have red blue and mix. Ill take a pic. I just have the pepper seeds in. Tomatoes tomorrow. Some things just need pondering first
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

I'm going to start some big beef tomatoes and red bell pepper this weekend. I want at least 18" plants when I set them out. I have a big tall - wide window upstairs that you can look out and see the overhang at the roof peek, so it gets lots of sun and lots of heat to. ;D I'm going big on tomatoes this summer. I need lots for sauce because the juice gets reduced a great big deal to make it thicker. :)

We are getting close to 11 hrs of daylight up here now. 7:15 am until 6:15 pm and we gain light really fast in March. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I don't start much. 
But on peppers plants, bigger ones are better, even if they have blossoms on them. Mine plants gets so big I have to put tomatoe cages around them. The fruit will make the plants tip over if not supported. I get stocks the size of my thumb.
I wet down the ground first, don't make it real muddy, but wet, than a sheet of black poly. I weight it down with rocks. You will need rocks in between the plants too to keep the poly from blowing up and covering the plants. Than where ever you want a plant, cut an X into the poly and put your plant in.
 These instructions are for the ones that still have a glacier covering their garden.  :D
I usually push my plants some. I water with a watering can, and some go go juice, with a length of garden hose on the end, so I don't have to bend over.
I like the ace peppers for sweet one. They are like tomatoes plants, they keep producing until frost. I pick them not much bigger than  golf balls before frost.
I have done the black ploy on tomatoes too. Did not notice a difference on yield, but does help out on weeds. Yes, I tried the red poly too. But the peppers really like the black poly, heat.
We use to sell veggies. Had a UPS driver stop in to buy some stuff. He could not believe the size of my peppers. I took him down to the garden to show him how I grow peppers. He was not the only customer that wanted to know either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Yep, water and heat for sure along with feeding them. I've always had more luck with jalapenos, but only because the bell pepper plants were too small to start with.  They take a long time to grow from little plants. ;D

I'm going to have my lights on them for 18 hrs on timer. Got a couple grow lamps coming from Amazon. Big grow op here. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WV Sawmiller

I'm getting ready but for me it means I am cutting tomato stakes for one main customer and a few incidentals. I've cut about 25 dz so far and have about 8-10 more to trim to length and tie into bundles tomorrow. I find its a good use for real low grade logs. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

21incher

I have one of those 3 ft x 3 ft  pot growing tents with a commercial light that I am using this year to start plants. Have had a steady supply of fresh lettuce since thanksgiving from it in my cool basement. 

DDW_OR

I was thinking of removing the dirt in my greenhouse floor to a depth of 2 ft
then lay foam insulation on the bottom and sides of the pit
then a loop of Pex tubing from the OWB.
then re-fill with dirt.
have the pump controlled by a thermostat probe in the soil to have a 40 deg soil temp year round.
OWF water is 150 to 180

will my idea work?

Don P

That sounds like a great idea as long as you don't fork the pex. I'd run the soil temp on up into the 60's. One thing that gets the high tunnel (unheated greenhouse) through the winter is the soil temp. It warms up during the daytime and on colder nights if we cover the rows with a layer or two of remay on black pipe hoops it creates a warm enough tent to keep greens going through the winter... most of the time. The next batch is starting under lights in the house. We just use the strip leds, I think 6000K for the plant shelf.

One of the local country stores gets in sweet potato slips, its a bit early yet. It looks like the garlic failed, as it did from the same supplier in a friends garden... I think there must have been a storage/harvest problem upstream. One thing with plastic under tomatoes is it seems to help a bit with late blight, that is usually what ends our season. In the tunnel if we close up every night to keep the dew off and drip irrigate it really helps, dry leaves and it can't grow.

DDW_OR

the green areas are for plants in the ground or in raised beds
the center area for tomatoes in the ground and their vines suspended on string from the rafter.
like commercial growers do

the squares are walk areas that the Pex pipe will be 2 ft under.

SwampDonkey

My little grow op with 1000 w LED's. Stuck in some maters, peppers, radish and lettuce. ;D

21incher

Those LED's with the proper spectrum really make for stronger plants.  

Paul_H

I started Jalapeno peppers about a month ago and overwintered two plants in the basement from last fall and started a bunch of yellow onions 3 weeks ago. Beefsteak tomatoes will be started next weekend and then broccoli and cauliflower early April.

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SwampDonkey

I've got 64 cavities planted there, I'm going to get another 2 trays. Veseys is shipping me a bunch more other seed I have to get started. I even start cukes, I had English cukes the size of zucchini last summer. :D But you know what, the cukes only do there thing for so long then go the other way. So mine were all done before the end of July. Still had more than enough for pickles and eat'n.

Dad's aunt used to say, don't let me die during gardening time.  She was a crazy old coot and not blood relation. :D :D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: 21incher on March 07, 2021, 03:23:32 PM
Those LED's with the proper spectrum really make for stronger plants.  
My brother thought I was up late last night. It was them LED's lighting up the whole upstairs. :D :D He lives 1/2 mile down the road.

Don P

Plant light goes on, dogs are up... humans are up  :D 

One thing I've noticed in the high tunnel, the salad greens have made it through the winter although they are kind of on idle. It's going to be 66°F this week. A lot of them will probably think "Ah summer in Siberia, "Bolt!". 

kantuckid

We now have 48 tomatoes and peppers started in egg cartons on a heat matt. When they emerge wife moves to bigger pot and grow light on. They sit on a TV tray next to me at south facing picture window then into raised bed garden to harden off before final planting. yes, it's a lot of work but such is heirloom plants and seed saving. 
Looks like this thursday I can plow the main garden before fridays rain. I grow okra every other year so one row of two types this time. 
We are looking at 70+ degrees this week-wowee!
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

SwampDonkey

After a week, couple more cavities to germ.

Big beef

radish & lettuce (old seed) all germinated

Bell peppers not up yet. Planted lots more tomatoes and jalapenos yesterday in Jiffies.

kantuckid

Why start a radish indoors? :D I grew them as a young kid cause they're sort of foolproof plus cold hardy too. 
Among our new varieties this year is a Hungarian pepper-goes from ivory to yellow to orange to red and sweet and spicy flavor. Also a Pepperdew small red, round pepper with a tiny bit of heat and prolific plus an heirloom version of the Mucho Nacho Jalapeno' that has the size, flavorful but low heat that we have always been restricted to an F1 hybrid in the past. Tomatoe new to us is Black Brandywine an offspring of a Black Krim and Pink brandywine developed many years ago by the guy who created one of the most popular lima beans back in the 1920's. 
Ebay seed seller from Toccoa, GA sells those seeds- see her seller name->   chars_seed to see what that lady has for sale-she's about my age and a serious hard core gardener! 

SwampDonkey

Quote from: kantuckid on March 12, 2021, 08:17:51 AM
Why start a radish indoors? :D
They don't grow good on frozen ground with a 24" glacier on top of the soil. ;D

Veseys and McKenzie have reliable and hardy varieties for our region. When you go outside for seed you get problems with growth and development. ;D

The radishes are on their first true leaves and one variety of lettuce is also. They are old seed, so sort of a viability test to. ;D

I also start cukes inside to, but won't until April. That way I can have cukes 2 months ahead of everyone else. :D

kantuckid

In your climate I kind of figured a forester knew what grew where, etc.. :D 
In our garden zone 5 you just sow and thin a radish like a carrot.
 Cukes grow like crazy here =we only grow National Pickling variety and the produce until near frost. Back in KS one of my aunts in Osage Co, KS-her family were immigrants who farmed a large place and grew cukes and more as a cash crop all with horses. I really liked being at their farm as all bread was homemade and life was very interesting. Her maiden last name was Suchi which I always thought was Italian but in looking it up, it's Hungarian unless I spell it wrongly? 

SwampDonkey

mike_belben

Last years overwintered turnip greens have begun to regenerate.  Ill put in cabbage early i guess but not really feeling too eager about garden this year.  Lots of other work needs to get done.
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kantuckid

Our seeds are starting life in egg cartons then upon emergence they get "spooned" into larger plastic greenhouse pots. So far we are seeing great germination using this method compared to previous years using peat potting as seen above. Peppers are a harder seed to get going than maters. The only mater we are growing from my last years trial of a bunch of Ukraine & Russian maters(that were supposedly early & late blight resistant) is the Russian Appletree.
 It's a very earl early mater thats extremely hardy and grows in bunches similar to grapes but much larger size than a grape tomato. Our trial tomato this year is the Black Brandywine. Our frost date is ~ April 15th so lots of time to get things going. 
Okra, I'm doing 1/2 row of Clemson and other 1/2 of Emerald cause I cannot remember which one I liked best? 
Gardening is not only healthy eating it's a great way to keep some good senior activity going.  

Don P

Randy Gardner of NCSU's "mountain" series of maters have pretty good blight resistance. We like mountain magic. Damsel is also a good flavored resistant variety. When I've tracked blight y'all seem to get hit ahead of us though. The cherry varieties do seem to fare better.

Aura peppers, we get the seed from Johnny's, is an awesome sweet cooking pepper that is also early. They have a good website as well.

kantuckid

I'm aware of the mountain series of maters and we tried some several years back. Our favorite mater, hands down, is an heirloom- Arkansas Traveler! 
Our main garden soil got the blight via a load of manure given to me by a local dairy farmer some years back. Once ya got it, yer stuck with it. It also included several nasty weeds that weren't there before that nasty pile of what I thought was something special. 
 EVERY tomato I've tried in that garden will begin to look great then wilt and die off about the time fruit begins to set on a large, seemingly healthy plant. 
Last year we did grow a row of various grape tomatoes down there and they handle both early & late blights OK but of course they are limited to salads or eating out of hand, not much for canning. All of our tomatoes are now grown in what used to be the upper part of our front yard in a large raised bed.
I discussed blight resistance in tomatoes with some serious growers and not much good that I've gained overall. Spraying copper fungicide helps until a string of rain comes along and copper is limited in repeated use over a season too. Peppers are susceptible to blights but seem to handle it better than maters. Crows, coons, groundhogs, coyotes, rabbits, chipmunks and squirrels are our other enemies and seem to really enjoy our efforts.    

21incher

Finally got started today. stuck some tomato seeds in to start.

And my kale and onions have germinated in the grow tent

kantuckid

I couldn't read them all above post but saw Amish Paste which we have found to be a great tomato. This years maters: Amish Paste, Burpee Supersteak(our only F1 mater each year), Granny Cantrell(local lady-well known brandywine selection she groomed for many years in Morgan Co, KY near us) Box Car Willie, Arkansas Traveler, Russian Appletree, Black Brandywine(cross of brandywine & Black Krim-we tried the krim two years and it cracked badly both years), Pink Brandywine, German Johnson(potato leaf tomato that's one of the most popular near me in a big gardening area), Dester(we call it "clester dester" cause our neighbor Clester gave us the 1st seeds. 
If you'd like a start of any of these maters PM me.  

SwampDonkey

Red bells, they are slower germinating then tomatoes for sure. But starting to kick in, starting to get first leaves now. :) One didn't germinate, so stuck in a seed. Lots of time. In my other tray they all came. I got way more than I can eat right there. Planning on slicing and freezing for meat dishes in winter. Probably throw some in fall pickles to. ;) My jalapenos are just germinating, only been a week since them seeds came. I think it was last Friday. I've got 7 up already in those, a dozen yet to germ.

Have had great luck with Jiffies to start plants. I do replant to bigger dishes. :)

SwampDonkey

Dill and basal, the grass looking stuff is the dill. ;D Just enough to get a head start. I plant the rest from seed direct in garden. :)

SwampDonkey

Weekly update on the big beef maters. I have 23 this size and 6 newer ones up. Plus I have 21 Scotians and 16 sweet mountain (cherry tomatoes). The big beef and Scotian are a regional favorite up here, been growing them all my life. Never had sweet mountain, always grew tiny Tim. Used to get Siberian which can set fruit in cooler weather, down to 38F.

SwampDonkey

Butter crunch (right) and iceberg head lettuces, 4 each. These were a germination test more than anything, old seed. ;D I have other lettuce I will start as well, some Tango, a curly leaf lettuce. ;D The butter crunch is probably less shaded. I'll soon pluck those radishes. ;D

SwampDonkey

Learnt years ago that manure has to be well composted to kill anything in it. I don't use nothing fresh off the manure pile that hasn't been composted. That will be full of weeds, stuff you never heard of. I don't have the time to spend working on compost, so I just get it by the bag. If I had nothing else to do with my time, I would certainly compost my own. Right now I have enough work, thanks. ;D

Pheasants are bad pests up here. I have a fat old ground hog here 'Pudgy Joe', he never touches the garden, except he may walk across. But I get neighbors' cats and dogs walking in the garden, they apparently don't like their own garden. :D Before I had the garden in last spring, Tippy (a red fox) dug up an old chicken she hid down there. Hahaha, reminded me of an Aussie I follow on Youtube, he buries all kinds of bodies under his raised beds. He's a hoot, an army dude. You'd get a smile watch'n him. :D :D Real jolly positive fellow.

On Youtube, Mark is 'Self Sufficient Me'.

kantuckid

The manure (The load from hell?) I wished I'd never gotten- was actually saved by the dairy farmer for someone else who never came back from a previous year. He'd run it into a pile in an unused space for someone else and tossed it in the pile over time with skid loader. It looked and was supposed to be well composted.    

SwampDonkey

No way of really knowing if it got heat enough to kill everything, unless you do it yourself. That pile could get seeds on top blowing from all over. Guys I see doing it have it contained. The bagged stuff I've never had weeds. What I buy is put up about 100 miles from here. No sense in trucking it 1200 miles, no one going to pay more than $3 a bag. I get it for $2.50.

SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey

These babies will need an upgrade in rooting realestate by the weekend. 8) Going into 1/2 gallon pots.

SwampDonkey

I had to pot the lettuce over into 1/2 gallon pots. This is buttercrunch (Boston Lettuce). Be pick'n next weekend. 8)  I have 4, plus 4 iceberg, iceberg is slower.

Good stuff. ;)

DDW_OR

Quote from: DDW_OR on March 05, 2021, 12:50:26 PM

the green areas are for plants in the ground or in raised beds
the center area for tomatoes in the ground and their vines suspended on string from the rafter.
like commercial growers do

the squares are walk areas that the Pex pipe will be 2 ft under.

the walk area is 12x12 concrete squares
pex maybe just 6 inches under. two loops 12 inches apart, each loop centered under the square.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: thecfarm on March 03, 2021, 06:18:05 AM

But on peppers plants, bigger ones are better, even if they have blossoms on them.
I wet down the ground first, don't make it real muddy, but wet, than a sheet of black poly. I weight it down with rocks. You will need rocks in between the plants too to keep the poly from blowing up and covering the plants. Than where ever you want a plant, cut an X into the poly and put your plant in.
That's what I am trying, this allows water through, but black to catch the sun's heat. I have that and more floating fabric coming.

21incher

I have a craving for fresh radishes now ;D. Finally  started peppers and used the heat mats.  Germinated in 3 days. Tomatoes took 5 days with no heat. Eggplant haven't  germinated yet so I may replant. Spinach and peas went in today. The garlic is about  4 inches tall now also. Great  weather  the last couple  days.

thecfarm

I plan on using more crop cover this year. I just bend Â½ inch metal conduit pipe for my loops. I cut it at 5 feet, which is in half, it come in 10 foot lengths. Yes, plastic can be used, but I've had these loops for 10 years, metal don't break from the sun rays.  ;)
I want to try it on my cukes, keep them warmer and "maybe" help out on the bugs.
I use the crop cover on the basil and that works on keeping the bugs from eating the plants.

SwampDonkey

I don't even use anything to hold up the fabric, she just floats. I anchor down with rocks. ;) Dad would use it on strawberries and have berries two weeks ahead of time.

The bug I deter on the squash is cuke beetles. In my upper garden they don't touch my cukes. I think they also eat beans, seen them around the beans last year. But I had fabric on beans and squash until they  got up good and strong and took off the fabric. The flea beetle hits the basal here, but way late in the season, September. These are bigger than leaf hoppers. They eat grape leaves to.

Ianab

Things are winding up here. Been a poor season for chillies.  :(  I'm starting to pick some now, but not many habanero / ghosts / 7 pots etc. Just been too cool for them to really get going, even in a greenhouse. 

I think I'm settling on the Rocoto as my favourite now. That's the red apple shaped variety. I grew them from seed last season, but only get a few fruit. But they are a perennial and this year they have gone crazy, and could fruit for another 10 years.

Jalapenos / Cayenne / Thai Birds-eyes and chiltepins have also done OKish this season, and one Scots Bonnet plant is on it's 3rd season.  

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

My tomatoes might have gotten a little too much fertilizer. Seeing a little stress on older leaves. Not yellow but some wilting. Might be a touch of shock there to. Tomatoes are sensitive little buggers. ;D So I'm cutting that back for a bit and just using a pinch of Epson salts every other day. I know the soil is not rich in N-P-K from the bag, but this 10-15-10 is concentrated and they suggest half a dropper per litre. I think I may have some that had twice that. :D It's so dilute when you look at it that you can't see green, but powerful apparently. Schultz out of Rivier-Du-Loop, Quebec. Been around for at least 30 years.

SwampDonkey

Big beef        March 29-2021

Red bells (upper left) kicking in now to. Scotian tomato lower right.

mike_belben

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 26, 2021, 04:46:38 PMThe flea beetle hits the basal here, but way late in the season, September. These are bigger than leaf hoppers. They eat grape leaves to.
Flea beatles will shot hole my entire garden by about late may, early june.  Then the rest of the crowd follows suit.  Its deflating. 
Praise The Lord

21incher

Those flea beetles get my eggplants every summer and that's all they bother. I may try something non organic  this year because  they seem to have developed immunity to everything else that is non toxic the last 2 years. Put some eggplant in and they will leave everything else alone. I am hoping  with the mild winter  we don't  have a bumper crop of Japanese beetles. 17 year chicadas are supposed  to emerge  this year also :embarassed:.

SwampDonkey

Up here the potato beetle will fleece egg plant. They will even eat tomatoes if in the same area with potatoes. Earwigs seem to love lettuce, but I have mine scattered around the gardens and they are less bothersome. Didn't seem to be too bad last 3 years. If you have a lot of shade, that is where they hang out. I do same with basal, a little spot here and there and they might hit one and not touch others. ;D Also, when plants are under stress, that attracts bugs, so keep the ground moist. Had to water the garden all last summer, we had next to nothing for rain. I use creek water and my pump/tank and SxS. Creek 5 minute drive.

kantuckid

Quote from: 21incher on March 25, 2021, 09:31:48 PM
I have a craving for fresh radishes now ;D. Finally  started peppers and used the heat mats.  Germinated in 3 days. Tomatoes took 5 days with no heat. Eggplant haven't  germinated yet so I may replant. Spinach and peas went in today. The garlic is about  4 inches tall now also. Great  weather  the last couple  days.
I think it's safe to say we have never, ever had a pepper seed germinate in 3 days. We use a heat mat, baby the crap out of them , use a grow light and a southern exposure picture window and still one of my peppers just popped out yesterday and several haven't as yet. I'll throw out that maybe around 3 weeks is commonly seen on peppers.
 You must have some serious green thumb going on?  :D
Radishes I can eat if they appear in a salad but we don't grow them or buy them. In a restaurant it's common to not see them in salads at all.
 My granny taught me to make "radish roses" for holiday meals as she was  the real McCoy when it came to cooking-knew it all. Their falvor gets off after thge weather warms up but nice spicy snap until then.

SwampDonkey

Fresh greens from under the lights today. I gleam from the bottom leaves. ;D

Buttercrunch

Fern leaf dill

SwampDonkey

My bells here were just under two weeks, I'll be transplanting by next Friday on those. My jalapeno 2 to 3 weeks and might be going on 4 for some. But I have more than enough right now to get to size, more than I'll ever eat if they have 6 on each. And they usually have that many without working hard. :D ;)

SwampDonkey

I have some peppers to transplant into 1/2 gallon pots real soon. They are darker green than the photo, reflected light. :)

SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey

I figured out what the trouble was with the tomatoes. Those paper pots, they restrict roots if you transplant and leave those on them. Take them off before transplanting. I always thought they would soften up and break down enough for roots to get through. I took my repots and removed those as I found the roots where not penetrating those and the pots wick moisture away so the roots aren't going into dry paper. The peat pellets work fine, they've even used them on millions of tree seedlings, more like billions. You will see rapid root growth through the side walls of those when you have the trays lidded and it is humid in there. ;)

21incher

My seedlings are starting to leaf out. This year I started later because my plants are usually too big when they get planted in the last week of may. Having everything in a grow tent in the basement really makes it easy to care for and keeps the mess out of the house. Tomatoes, Peppers, and Eggplants off to a good start. Just cranked the light up to 100% so they should take off now.

SwampDonkey

thecfarm

Smart boy you are, you are!!! Those peppers look better than great

21incher

Those are nice peppers. I have not had luck starting them early to get peppers sooner. The ones I plant need 60 deg nights to keep the peppers on the plants and we don't see them till June.

My tomatoes were overcrowded in the tent and stinking up my shop so I set up a second tent with a carbon filter to spread them out some and absorb the smell. Hopefully they have enough room now.

Hopefully this will clear the air in this 2 x 4 tent with a 2000w light.

This is the original tent and now I can lower the light and crank it up to get my peppers and eggplant going. About 4 weeks till they go outside and start hardening off. Those bare cups are parsley and it takes a long time to get going.

Here is a link about setting the grow tent up 
Update On My Seedlings And The Second Grow Tent Assembly - YouTube 

stavebuyer

We had a record late accumulating snow Wed and a hard freeze Thursday. 10-14 day outlook puts us into the "safe zone" for frost so I set out my tomato plants this morning. 100% chance of rain today with highs in the 80s forecast for Tuesday. I have had my black plastic out for 2 weeks so I think the plants will take off. Mothers Day and KY Derby next weekend usually puts us into spring/summer vs winter/spring. Mowing twice a week already. More than ready for garden goodies!

SwampDonkey

I don't plant starts until the middle of June here. I still have to start some more tomatoes next month for June planting. My early ones are flowering now and 4' tall. March is way too early for maters, make mental note. :D

Next spring I'm going to use this grow tent. ;D

VIVOSUN 96"x96"x80" Mylar Hydroponic Grow Tent with Observation Window and Floor Tray for Indoor Plant Growing 8'x8': Amazon.ca: Patio, Lawn & Garden

stavebuyer

I was only going to set half my tomato plants but when I saw how rootbound they were in the container I planted them all. 

SwampDonkey

I'm going to start some new tomatoes the first weekend in May, these ones where getting too out of hand. Photo back in reply #60 is just the right size, not 4 feet tall. :D

SwampDonkey

@thecfarm  Red bells coming on. ;D

Never had Bells in May before. :D

thecfarm

21incher

Plants are finally outside hardening off. Sweet potatoes are in and the Orioles are finally back

Eating lettuce, spinach, Bok Choy, radishes, and kale from the salad beds. Garlic, onions, shallots, carrots, beets, swiss chard, and peas doing well. Asparagus and rhubarb going crazy. Life is back in the garden.

SwampDonkey

Poked in some more mater seeds for Scotian and Big Beef, they won't go out for 4 weeks, so they should be 16" by then or better. Planted another variety of bell pepper to try also, suppose to be 'sweet' and high yield.

SwampDonkey

Didn't take long for the second batch of tomato seed to germinate under the lights. 8)

21incher

Well it's all in. Made a walk around video to test a new wireless microphone today so it not the best. Have to get the settings right and move the mic next time but it is very clear up to 600 ft from the camera.
Garden 2021 Part6 All Planted Lets Walk Around - YouTube
First cool day in 2 weeks and haven't had any rain in a couple weeks so lots of watering.

mike_belben

Someday when i am as old and dull as you guys i will have a hydro grow lab full of garden seedlings. 

;D ;D :snowball:

Just kidding, im envious.  

This is the latest ive ever waited to plant and im hoping it pays off.  Our growing season is so long and ive been so busy i figured whats the rush.  Im not putting in a ton of effort this year.  If it takes it takes and if not i dont care. 

I think i have waited out the early flea beetle onslaught, and last year during june bug mating i went on once or twice daily jungle raids to spot spray the little humpers with sevin squirts wherever they were meeting up, which was mostly the blackberry thickets.  Yuge difference in the subteranean white grub prevalence this year.  Im hoping to liquidate their forces after a few subsequent seasons of guerilla warfare.   Keeps the sevin out of my food atleast. 
Praise The Lord

stavebuyer

SwampDonkey

Transplanted my new mater sets into bigger dishes. Planted 8 cuke seeds for setting out to be ready ahead of those sewn in the garden. Cukes I use for seed will mature in 45 days, grow 10-12" long. Burpless and English style. I had some cukes like zucchini size last summer. :D

21incher

I have a craving  for potato salad now. Those  fresh dug ones are so sweet. 

Swamp Donkey we switched from the English cukes to Soyo Long Cukes. They are more bug resistant in our area.

Mike someday you will be old and empty nest. That's when there's plenty of time for hobbies that bore young kids. FLEA BEETLES are the only enemy I can't beat naturally. Tried  neem and it worked  for a while then it was like they developed a taste  for it and it became  salad dressing for them. Tried  Captain Jack's that worked a couple  weeks then they started liking  it. I think all the chemicals  the big farms around us use is creating  super bugs.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: 21incher on May 26, 2021, 04:59:34 PM

Swamp Donkey we switched from the English cukes to Soyo Long Cukes. They are more bug resistant in our area.
I don't get cucumber beetles in my upper garden. They will hit them in the lower garden, so I keep them where the bugs ain't. ;D The beetle will hit squash and beans down there, so I cover those until they get to size with floating fabric. :)

SwampDonkey

I never see flee beetles until the end of summer, they will hit basal and grape leaves. Only seen them last two years, never had them before. A lot of our bugs hitch a ride from nurseries poorly kept. But plant stress sends a signal to bugs to.

GarlicGuy

I'm just crossing my fingers for two more days. They forecast a low of 38 tonight, I'm usually a few degrees lower than that. Go figure that the low was 58 this morning and a high yesterday of 93. The plants are begging to be transplanted. 

SwampDonkey

Set out a couple new Canadian red rhubarb root balls this afternoon, just arrived by mail. We have all kinds of ground moisture here this spring for starting trees, shrubs.....and rhubarb. ;D

21incher

We have been at 43 degrees all day today with a windchill  in the 30s. I am hoping  everything survives. 

mike_belben

flea beetles ripping up my potatoes already.  Torched a gang of red aphids yesterday.  We finally got a blast of cool rain to break up a bit of drought.  Its down to 72 in the house and i feel cold!  First cut of hay was very short due to a hot dry spring. 
Praise The Lord

GarlicGuy

I'm getting jealous up here with all your plants and gardens. Tonight should be our last chance of frost. This morning it was 31 degrees and another warning of frost overnight then it will be clear sailing. Stay warm!

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!