iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mulberry Mega Burl

Started by metalspinner, March 27, 2021, 05:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

This is my first post in many years and the first log i've picked up in just as many. 
This Mulberry tree has been growing across the street from the Junior High school. And I've been eyeballing it for 15 years! this week as we were passing by the school, a tree service had a saw in it and was about to drop it. So i made a quick u turn and introduced myself. 
Those guys couldn't have been happier that I would haul this thing away for them.

This is a 60" LogRite

And this is the top 8' of the log ready to go home. This top end doesn't have any burls on it. So it will become a bunch of crotchy slabs.

The butt end of the burl piece is 60" at its narrowest and the top of the burl piece is about 40".

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Hilltop366

Hi, it will be interesting to see whats in there.

mike_belben

Man.. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!  Id've thought that logs got a face only a mother nature could love!

;D
Praise The Lord

WDH

I am looking forward to this!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

GullyBog

Fantastic, awesome to see that tree being cut so low.  They really wanted you to get every bit of that burl.
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

metalspinner

Made it home with the burly bit.

Just for fun, let's all take a guess as to the weight of this thing. No cheating by using the log weight calculator! Besides, this species isn't listed anyway. I had to do some cross referencing and approximating to come up with an answer. I'll share my numbers after a fair number of guesses.

BTW, it's easier to get these things onto the trailer than off the trailer.

Old Greenhorn

I'll bite. Just a full bore SWAG here: 4,756 pounds
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Andries

WDH always exaggerates; 6,600 lbs.
(but he might know his way 'round the mulberry bush)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

Lovely specimen!! I'd have to say 4000 lb for the burl piece. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GullyBog

There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Hilltop366

SwampDonkey

I think some of you guys are measuring air. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Hilltop366

I have no idea so took a quick average in my head and added 1 (the price is right tactics ;D) I just tried it with a calculator and it looks like the real average should have been 5934.775, can I change my bid? :D

Old Greenhorn

I had second thoughts on my guess too, I should have gotten closer to 6,200#, but I will stick with my first guess. I will be interested to see how poor that was exactly.
 When is it time for the drumroll?
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

aigheadish

Gotta love it when things come together and you get big nice pieces of free wood. I'm guessing they didn't realize that there may be thousands of dollars of burl in that chunk, if you find the right person... Well, maybe not thousands, I don't know what that stuff goes for anymore.

I try to get as much free wood as I can but I don't really have a good way to move it, which is a shame. I need to put a hitch on the wife's vehicle, then I could load stuff (theoretically) on a motorcycle trailer I have.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Magicman

Wife's age + our number of children X the years married = 4582
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

There is a 15 thousand dollar Yellow Birch burl up on the road from m129 to Kinross. We know, because @Burlkraft  and I stopped a few days after the tree was cut down and the land owner told us so after Steve offered him $500.  That was 2007. I see it's still laying out there by the driveway as of a month or so ago.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

metalspinner

I'll be the price has dropped!

metalspinner

So I've got this thing all buttered up with Anchorseal and sawing has been scheduled for a few weeks from now. 

I'm going to remeasure and run the numbers through the weight calculator. Get your weight guess on the record!

Lostinmn

As a bowl turner myself, nothing gets us as hot and bothered as big burls  :D :)

Clark

Do The Price is Right rules apply? Never mind, I'm still guessing 1 pound.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Old Greenhorn

Well, if you are going to make us wait longer, you could at least give us an average diameter and length. I have no idea how long that is. I tried printing the photo and weighing that, but it didn't help.

metalspinner

I had to go 'round and 'round to come up with a number.

First, the FF log calculator does not have Mulberry as a selection. So I GTS the specific gravity of Red Mulberry and came up with several different numbers.
So then I dug out my Identifying Wood by Bruce Hoadley to see what he had to say. According to Bruce, the SG of Red Mulberry is .66 - which is the same as Honey Locust in his book.

The FF calculator does have Honey Locust. So that's the log species I plugged in. The log is 6' long and 40" on the small end and 60ish" on the big end. But the burl seems more fat around the middle so I upped the center log size to 52" just to be safe.

Whew! The guestimated weight is 5398lbs.  It didn't feel that heavy on the trailer, but it sure looked the part driving through town.

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on March 31, 2021, 03:27:31 PMWife's age + our number of children X the years married = 4582
What??  :o   Dat DanG woman been lying to me about her age all of these years!!!   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Quote from: metalspinner on March 31, 2021, 05:22:52 PM
I had to go 'round and 'round to come up with a number.

First, the FF log calculator does not have Mulberry as a selection. So I GTS the specific gravity of Red Mulberry and came up with several different numbers.
So then I dug out my Identifying Wood by Bruce Hoadley to see what he had to say. According to Bruce, the SG of Red Mulberry is .66 - which is the same as Honey Locust in his book.

The FF calculator does have Honey Locust. So that's the log species I plugged in. The log is 6' long and 40" on the small end and 60ish" on the big end. But the burl seems more fat around the middle so I upped the center log size to 52" just to be safe.

Whew! The guestimated weight is 5398lbs.  It didn't feel that heavy on the trailer, but it sure looked the part driving through town.
I used five feet length, since you said the peavy was a 60 incher, which is 5 feet, standing by the burl. Least I wasn't measuring air. :D That woulda got me 4742 lb if 6 feet. For green weight I looked at yellow birch (staminate flowers birch like) and magnolia, both around 58 lb/cuft (green).

Mid diameter (50"/12"per foot)squared x 3.14/4 x 6 ft x 58 lb/cuft= 4742 lb

metalspinner

Here's a sneak peek at what is inside. This is the little bit that someone sawed away on the standing log. 

Old Greenhorn

Gee Swamp, you did all that reckoning and all I did was look at it and think of a number in my head. ;D :D Actually my guess was closer than I would have thought.
 Mighty nice piece of wood, that's for sure.

WDH

I used 8 feet in my estimate.  If I had used 6 feet, my estimate would have been 5727 pounds. 

The piece of oak burl that you sent me was so very fine.  Remember?

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=15981.msg456952#msg456952

Dodgy Loner made me a mallet from some of that oak burl.  The dark end is ebony. 

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on March 31, 2021, 06:17:02 PM
Gee Swamp, you did all that reckoning and all I did was look at it and think of a number in my head. ;D :D Actually my guess was closer than I would have thought.
Mighty nice piece of wood, that's for sure.
It's actually quite basic math, just punch the right numbers in. Volume x lb/cuft. What are the right number?  :D

SwampDonkey

Nice noggin knocker..erm......mallet. :)

SwampDonkey

Some nice burl there, reminds me of cherry burl and even yellow birch.

About 20 miles from here. This was a huge and very old yellow birch, besides the huge burl.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 01, 2021, 02:57:24 AM
Quote from: Old Greenhorn on March 31, 2021, 06:17:02 PMIt's actually quite basic math, just punch the right numbers in. Volume x lb/cuft. What are the right number?  :D
Reply #26 above Swamp. 5398#. I didn't check to see who was closest, anybody know? It just shows how hard it can be to judge something like that, even with experience. No doubt and actual weight would reveal something different because it is not a straight grain log and the density will likely be different. Got a quarry scale around somewhere? Just throw it back on the trailer ands find out for sure. :D :D :D :D

metalspinner

WDH, I do remember that. I bought my first chainsaw to cut that burl. Interestingly, that oak burl grew in the yard of a man that has a stump grinding business.  
Believe it or not, I still have a bunch of that burl here stacked in the shed. 

Old Greenhorn, I'll go ahead and get it weighed this morning. You just sit right here and wait for me to get back. 

metalspinner

Swamp donkey,
I've not seen birch burl on the market. Is it common? I'll need to look it up 

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: metalspinner on April 01, 2021, 07:48:37 AMOld Greenhorn, I'll go ahead and get it weighed this morning. You just sit right here and wait for me to get back.
OK then.  popcorn_smiley  smile_banjoman

SwampDonkey

Quote from: metalspinner on April 01, 2021, 07:54:08 AM
Swamp donkey,
I’ve not seen birch burl on the market. Is it common? I’ll need to look it up
Only as common as you can find them to sell them. ;D

Lots of turners here have used yellow birch burl over the years.

Here's a bowl I see on Etsy.

alan gage

Quote from: Magicman on March 31, 2021, 05:35:11 PM
Quote from: Magicman on March 31, 2021, 03:27:31 PMWife's age + our number of children X the years married = 4582
What??  :o   Dat DanG woman been lying to me about her age all of these years!!!   ::)
Maybe there's a kid you don't know about :)
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

doc henderson

this wood is in Arizona, with sawdust jimmy.  @Jim Thomas named it Milton....

mesquite I think..  burl   Milton Burl...! :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Texas Ranger

Doc, if that is a mesquite burl, dry, it will be as hard as the hubs of Hades.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

doc henderson

looks like a dinosaur egg.  he made the table with some of my leg stock I keep around.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

metalspinner

We finally got to sawing yesterday.
Jacob came over with his swing mill/slabber and we got through this burl end of the log.

The log was so tall, we had to block up the mill to clear the first cut.

The full length pieces are 5 1/2'. And we cut everything 2 1/2".

metalspinner

We made 14 cuts total. The center of the log was hollow, so the center slabs came apart. Which was ok with us! As mulberry is very heavy. We guessed the bigger pieces were 250- 300 pounds. 
Fun fact - Jacob (aka Teenswinger) has been sawing for me for over 16 years. Thats more than half of his life. 🤣🤣

WDH

That is some of the finest, most beautiful wood that I have ever seen.  I am a fan of our native hardwoods and do not care for the foreign exotics, no matter how dramatic.  I love mulberry.  I have a very nice one about 20" in diameter but I am loathe to cut it down. 

metalspinner

WDH, I'm happy to have this. And am hoping it will dry ok while I wait to use it. 

Isn't mulberry good for smoking? Meat, that is? Could this sawdust be good for someone?

SwampDonkey

Love the wood, lots of potential. :)

Al_Smith

About all I can add other than the fact I haven't got into many is the stuff burns good .

Thank You Sponsors!