iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skunk

Started by WV Sawmiller, August 05, 2021, 10:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Last night my wife and I both smelled a skunk and assumed someone up the road had stirred one up. A few minutes ago (about 9:30 pm) my 13 y/o took her retarded dog out and she came back in and said we had a skunk in the yard because she spotted some white on it. I went out with t he light and she pointed which side of the yard she had seen it in. It was in the back yard in the ditch I recently weedate and had lots of tall dead grass laying around. Sure enough there was a black shape moving around so I walked over to see if it was the neighbor cat or such but nope, it was Pepe LePhew in person. It was a very young one and I guess it was about the size of a gray squirrel, It seemed to looking under the hay for frogs and such. Of course it was only about 10 yards from Sampson's dog food too. It worked its way under the fence then I coon squalled at it and it speeded up into the tall grass and hopefully the pasture and woods behind it. It was a very pretty little guy with a big white Vee on its back. I just hope it does not decide to take up residence and force me to send him to Happy Mountain or something. It has been many years since we have seen one on our place but from the size I would not be surprised to see a mom and some siblings hanging around. I don't think Sampson is likely to get near it but retard Ted would love to mix it up with him. We have Teddy for the weekend and I don't want to try to deskunk him.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mike_belben

Dont let those stinkers burrow under sheds.  They will cohabitate, multiple females making dens off a single tunnel system.  I had them tunnel into a hill under a shed.  Think i paid a guy to trap 5 or so when i finally said enough and started shooting them. Pretty sure i got 11 more.  
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

Never have them burrow around here to live, but they sure like them grubs in the lawn. I have never had any trouble from them, they (1 at a time) roam around here just before daylight about every morning. :)

They can be trouble if you have free range chickens or something. They'll get the eggs.

Lots of folks have chickens around here, and so the foxes get shot off, now we are running away with ground hogs. ::) Tippy (fox) always kept them rounded up, yep seen him in action. They'll use ground hog burrows for their pups.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WV Sawmiller

No chickens here and they can have all the grubs they can find. I would probably be okay with them in the barn if they catch mice and chipmunks. I doubt Sampson will ever get close enough to get sprayed but retard Teddy looks like he is aching to mix it up with one so the problem is when he is visiting. We will see if this was a one off situation.

Gotta run. Mobile job 80 miles away is calling.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

HemlockKing

I don't think I've ever seen a skunk in the wild around here, I know they are at least in the province though as I've seen a couple road kills. Trash pandas and porcupines on the other hand...
A1

Skip

Skunks will DESTROY a yellow jacket nest that is underground , in short order . I know of no other redeeming qualities . 

SwampDonkey

Mom's uncle, who was an old trapper from way back, used to catch anywhere from 12 to 20 skunks every fall in the yard in a connibear.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_belben

I never seen skunks in tennessee.  The sprawling city of springfield mass was plagued by them. 

The most redeeming quality of a possum is they will eat that skunk that gets shot and dies under the shed out of reach in 98* weather. I dont shoot possums.
Praise The Lord

GAB

I find that a hose and a gasoline engine is all that is needed to send burrowing critters to Happy Mountain (Howard's term).  The problem is quickly resolved.
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Texas Ranger

I have told this story before.  Bow hunting on a friends lease, his wife and I are walking down the pipeline road when she turns and grabs my arm. Surprised, I looked at her and she looked down, to a skunk that was walking between us, we were each in a track and he was in the middle.  We stopped, he kept walking, and never a smell.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sprucebunny

Seems a skunk had a bad momement very near my house last night. I was up late reading in bed and heard something rustling in the woods outside. Few minutes later, smell skunk. Can still smell it by my front door. Yuk.

Couple years ago I was sitting in my car reading in front of my house and a skunk walked right by; calm as could be.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

Yeah, they are brave little critters. I've tried to run them off. They don't run away, they stand ground. :D

KEC

I got a call once from someone with bad skunk odor coming from under their deck during some harsh,  cold winter conditions. A persistant skunk odor often means a dead skunk. I got down and looked up under the deck and could just see some black and white hair. Got a rake and reach in and dragged out the remains of a skunk; just the tail and pelvic area. Being harsh weather, my guess is that a  Gray Fox ate it, but having standards, when the fox got to the scent glands he said: " I ain't eating that . " I bagged the tail and pelvic area and incinerated it in my wood stove, problem solved.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 06, 2021, 05:14:49 PM
Yeah, they are brave little critters. I've tried to run them off. They don't run away, they stand ground. :D
They are not brave. They just can't see and can't smell and don't know you are there.

I saw 3-4 dead skunks on the way to my sawing job today. The first one was at the end of my  drive. I guess my skunk problem for the time being is was solved by a passing car sometime last night or this morning.
Howard Green

mike_belben

They breed around february and drop litters now so summer skunk smell is usually the runts learning about their stinkers. 
Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

That automobile sent him to happy mountain without you needing to lift a finger lol . I don't mind seeing porcupines taken out near my road, takes care of the enevitiable of what I need to do, because they always come for my OAK TREES
A1

WV Sawmiller

Mom has a wild hog problem in N Fla and a big one got hit in front of her house on highway 29 last year. I suggested maybe she should lay a trail from the woodline to a bag or two of whole kernel corn scattered in the median. I bet that will reduce the numbers in the local sounder. There is probably a rule against that somewhere. :(

I have mentioned before a buddy said his dad and friends caught a half grown bobcat and put it in an old suitcase out by the road and they hid in the woods nearby to watch. They said pretty soon a late model Caddy stopped, grabbed it and sped away but about 100 yards ahead came to a screeching halt and all 4 doors opened and people came boiling out. :D

I'm thinking the same thing would work with possums and assorted non-venomous snakes. Kids today just don't know how to entertain themselves. Maybe I need to start a new carrier as a mentor and help train young folks in the neighborhood. Anybody have any old luggage you want to donate to help me get started? ;D
Howard Green

samandothers

Seen several ground hogs recently.  2 in one burrow, under a pile of fire wood logs and one under an old log structure. 

WDH

I really like the snake version. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mike_belben

"Now we've been every place between here and south Sioux
And we've seen us a truck-stop waitress or two
But this gal's built like a burlap bag full of bobcats
She's got it together"

-C.W. McCall
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

Mike,

That brings back memories of a large butted woman I saw one time in Ohio wearing a pair of shiny, silver sweat pants that looked like she was juggling a big bag full of bowling balls when she walked. I still wake up in a cold sweat to that memory sometimes. Trust me - it was not a pretty sight!

I guess I won't win any sensitivity awards for mentioning that too.
Howard Green

sprucebunny

My house still smells noticably of skunk. Inside and out. It's worst in my bedroom which is on the second floor ( first floor has 12 foot ceiling) and not very nice by the front door or in the driveway. I'm not all that amused !

Hoping it rains tomato juice, soon  :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

WV Sawmiller

The week before we got married my wife's German Shepherd got into one. I was in USMC at Quantico and flew in for the wedding the first of July. When I got in I complemented my MIL to be on how nice the house looked then she explained why. The dog had been scratching on the door and they let her in before they knew she had been sprayed and she ran through the whole house before they could catch and get her out so she had been scrubbing everything all week trying to get the smell out. That on top of trying to get everything taken care of for the wedding with out of town visitors coming and such was pretty stressful on her.
Howard Green

KEC

Regarding skunks having poor sight and poor sense of smell. I believe skunks can see just fine, but they don't concern themselves with you or anything else until you are close, usually. I went to someones' house who had a dog in an outdoor chainlink kennel and a skunk was frantically trying to dig its' way into the kennel. I pulled up, got out about 50 feet away and the skunk appeared oblivious to me. All of a sudden the skunk came straight for me at a dead run. I got him first shot at about 8' away with a little single-shot .22. Likely it was rabid. And, personally, I have no reason to believe that they have a poor sense of smell. Just my opinion.

WV Sawmiller

Terminix and many others on line think they have poor eyesight but can smell and hear okay. I'll relent on the smell feature and I really do think they smell food pretty well but I don't think they can see well at all. As I mentioned in other threads I have walked up and caught them by the tail and am sure they did not see me and really don't think they heard me coming.

Facts about Skunks: What You Need to Know | Terminix
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!