iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

At home covid test kits.

Started by LeeB, September 07, 2021, 05:54:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Has anyone used these? Any non-vax biased opinions? Just want opinions on the effectiveness by people who have used one.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

doc henderson

we use the swabs at my work, my wife is a Walmart pharmacist and sells a lot of the rapid ones.  I do not know if anyone is saying that one was negative to go on and find out they were positive.  I think you just spit in them.  I think it is ok to screen.  the result will have you quarantine if positive.  but you could also qualify for the premade antibody infusion if positive and immunocompromised.  it makes it as though you were prev. immunized and reduces the spread.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Don P

Michelle just took a second one in the past few days. Happily she flunked the test, it was negative.

We had dinner Friday with a couple I built for. Everyone vaxed but he is immuno-compromised. He felt sick Saturday nite and she texted asking if we had a test kit.  Michelle hung a 2 pack on their mailbox and he tested positive. Michelle put up the call and 2 kits were hanging on our mailbox Sunday afternoon.This is all small town stuff but we try to keep an eye on one another, that positive lit up the phone chain and we all took a staycation till results start coming back. In her work she interacts with a fair number of people that we care about so we have tried to be good about ways to avoid transmission if possible. She took one and tested negative but we figured it was too early incubation wise. She just took another and negative again, the phone chain is going around again. After watching her clean the backside of her eyeballs I'll finish playing here today, save a test and keep an eye on how I feel.

My understanding is the negative is pretty good, the positives should be double checked.

LeeB

Quote from: doc henderson on September 07, 2021, 08:15:44 AMI think you just spit in them

The two I looked at are both swab tests. One from Walmart and another brand from Walgreens. Both in the $20-25 range. Walgreens offers a free drive through test that takes 3 days for results.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Don P

Ours are the swab test. Bill just got back his drive thru test, he's positive but feeling much better. The breakthrough rate of virus getting through the vax that I've heard is about 1 in 10,000. We'll chill today, I've glued up a window and am off to gather rocks at the cliff, but I think he just drew the short straw.

doc henderson

our health dept. does the send out, and it goes to the state.  1 day turn around but they tell people more so they do not expect it sooner and start calling if it is delayed.  it is the best test at a state lab, pcr.  if you are not in a hurry.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doctorb

I used one (antigen test) when I had symptoms, which was positive.  They are quite accurate if 1) you have symptoms and 2) you swab your nose correctly and follow all the steps of the test.  They are less accurate in asymptomatic people.  Probably because there's less virus in your nasopharynx if you have no symptoms.  The one I used sold two tests, as the like repeat tests for confirmation.  Cost $24.  

This is a lateral flow test (LFT) and is distinctly different than a molecular test like PCR.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

bannerd

The at home test are an antigen so you would swab you nose (or mucus membrane) then put the swab in a vile.  The accuracy is very poor and would go right with PCR testing where they swab the nose to vile and ship or test at the lab.  A lot of PCR testing we see in positive cases are getting hits from vaccinated people.  Also see negative hits with unvaccinated people who had fallen ill and are showing antibodies at the thymus gland for positive covid.

doctorb

I would counter your statement, respectfully.  The antigen tests are quite accurate in certain circumstances.   The antigen test is very, very accurate in patients with symptoms.  If you have Covid and have symptoms, there's a significant amount of virus protein in your nasopharynx, and the test positivity rate is extremely high.  If you are trying to prove that you do not have the virus (trying to prove a negative) and you have no symptoms, the test is less accurate.  So the test has it's place, but has to be administered properly.  It has its place.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

doc henderson

also not so sure about the false + and - in vaccinated and unvaccinated folks. 

Don P

Sounds like as usual we're all reading different, conflicting, stuff. What I read made it sound like the negatives were the most accurate. My take on it is that most folks are doing a rapid antigen test to prove a negative.. I'm clear to go to work. I read a report from the Mayo clinic at some point that said the PCR was the "state of the art", that isn't perfect, its "doin the best we can with what we got". The antigen is less reliable than the PCR which itself is far less than perfect, but its fast. 

A lot of this stuff comes down to "as compared to what". We got nuthin, this is something. I'm curious what's coming but can't change that, whatever it is, its coming. It informs me to hole up or not, preferably early enough not to spread it. Not perfect but better than, what, 3 days for a test that is modestly more accurate. Just like my buddy, if I pop a positive I'll go drive in for a PCR. It'll do till we get better.

The average age of breakthrough cases is 78, the other high frequency is the immuno-compromised.

azmtnman

Quote from: Don P on September 07, 2021, 10:42:12 AM
The breakthrough rate of virus getting through the vax that I've heard is about 1 in 10,000. 
5 out of the 6 that live in our household have gotten it. One is unvaccinated (he has it) and the rest of us have had the vaccine. Only one has escaped symptoms and gets a test every morning before work. She had the Moderna while the rest of us had the Phizer. I've known several vaccinated people that have gotten it. It's just not as bad as those without. 
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

SwampDonkey

- I wrote a message in the wrong thread.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!