iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bangor show

Started by bandmiller2, May 02, 2009, 07:32:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Drove five hours up to the Bangor Maine show yesterday.A little dissapointed,very little for the small miller.No Lucas, no Peterson,no Baker,no Turner.Of course woodmizer was there with the 70 cent spread,Thomas and Hudson.Bright spot of the day was A MD mill with Jimmy and his wife from Oregon.Watching it run all I could think of was a swing mill head running and cutting boath ways on the radio tower, power feed with that fiesty VW engine running it.I like the MD mill, their must be quite a learning curve to get really good on it.Every year the timber machines get bigger more hp[read more $$]mayby the wrong direction,walk softly in the woodlot not assalt and bruitilize it with massive machines.My opinion ,and I don't make a living doing it.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

MaddiesDad

There's a thread on this in the Shows and Events Forum.
But I agree, I can't understand why Baker, Brewer, etc aren't here.  I saw Woodmizer (inside the Civic Center).  There's a MASSIVE amount of forestry equipment, I can't even begin to guess what John Deere has wrapped up in thier display, but I'd bet it's a minium of $10,000, possibly pushing 20.  It's an awesome setup.
I only saw one sawmill manufacturer.  Odd.  There's a few machinery dealers, etc, Debarkers, etc with inside booths.

I wonder what New Orleans, etc will be like.

JSNH

I was going to go up there today but who I was going with had a break down yesterday. So today he is fixing so he can be up and running his tree service on monday. It is a bit too far to travel by myself. I was hoping to attend with splitting the fuel thought I was all set. The best ones were the sawmill shootouts at the big e fairground.

beenthere

What are some guesses as to what the cost would be for one 2-day show, to travel, set up, tear down and return?

All that expense has to be added to the sale price of the equipment. Seems a mfr would have to think pretty hard on the decision to pour money into a show.

But it is all about sales, and staying in business.

For the money, a forum like this should get a lot of return on the money, because there is a lot of "word of mouth" exposure.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MaddiesDad

Show costs can vary widly from one show to the next.  They usually range from $300 to $600.  The New Orleans Show I'm told is somewhere aound $1,200.  Sawlex is $890.  I think Bangor was like $700.  These are all inside 10x10 booths, with electric.  If you run adds in the show journals, tack on somewhere around $250-$500. 
Equipment rental is usually done from Rent A Center, air fare is $350, Rental Car $150, Meals and Motel another $100 a day, insurance, etc.  It's usually around $2,000 in raw costs.  However it's most of the time worth it IF the show is ran good, big crowds, etc.  Plus it gives you a chance to meet people, talk to them, shake hands, meet other vedors, etc. 
The Bangor show was a very good show.  I like the way it was set up, ran, etc.  I wanted to see some more companies, etc.   I liked that show better then Richmond.  I'm not positive on this, but I think it was booked solid as well.
i've heard the one in Watkins Glen wasn't that busy.  I didn't make that one.  There's one in Kentucky that looks promising.

StorminN

Those rates don't sound that bad, as far as trade shows go... you're saying $3 to $12 a sq. ft. for floor space? When I used to sportsmens' shows (fishing stuff) the rates were $11 a sq. ft. for a 10'x10', with electric.

My day job is in the snowsports industry, and I'm the point guy for our trade show booth for the big show in Las Vegas. We're charged $17 a sq. ft. there, and you see very few 10'x10's... we do two booths across the aisle from each other, a 20'x30' and a 20'x50', so 1,600 sq. ft. total - and there are many booths that are bigger... some much bigger. So, that's over $27k that we spend just for the floorspace in that one show... and electric, lights, carpet, everything is extra on top of that... and then we fly 30 people there and put them up and feed them for at least four days (a couple of us are there eight days), plus build a 1,600 sq. ft. booth and truck it from WA state to Vegas... our total budget for that show is $80k... but it IS the biggest show in the USA, and we write a few million dollars in orders there, so it's worth it.

We do similar shows in Munich and Tokyo every year, too... smaller booths there, 800 to 1000 sq. ft... You gotta spend money to make money...

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

MaddiesDad

Your sportsmen shows draw a much larger crowd.  I think that's comparing apples and oranges. 

peterduncan

I just got back from Bangor...Loved the show. I think that it is a bit more directed to the larger logging operation than to those who would be using a portable sawmill. Notice that TimberKing was not there. I heard they think that the shows are a waste of time...Maybe they're right. I was very impressed with the firewood processors and chippers. By the way, there is another Paul Bunyon statue in Elmsford New York, made from the same cast as the big guy that stands infront of the Bangor Auditorium, so their sign is incorrect.

Maineloggerkid

I liked the show. I was there on the 2nd. The firewood processors were nice, and I did finally get to look close at the Wood-mizers.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

moonhill

http://www.bangorregion.com/about_the_region/paul_bunyon.html

I didn't know they made a mold and cast more than one.  I tried looking up info on that but came up empty.  Any other source or info available on  the statue of Paul Bunyan?  His inner frame is steal and outer skin of fiberglass suggest it is custom made, a mold could have been utilized.  Does New York have a sister city to Bangor?  I am curious as to the story behind the other statute.

I didn't make it the show, wish I had though. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

moonhill

Here is the Muffler Man, he appears not to be smiling. 

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/5924

Tim

This is a test, please stand by...

bandmiller2

A few years ago when they had the shoot outs with mills compared in their class I was like a kid in a candy store.Seemed every manuf. was there ,hopefully we can return to the good times.As with most new developments,bands and swing mills,their are exciting times when the little guy has a chance to develop and sell and try new things.Hopefully we have a few more years of "Dodge City"before corporate america takes over small mills.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ron Wenrich

The Bangor show is sponsored by the Northeastern Loggers' Assn.  Its more of an industrial group, and they aren't really into the portable milling business. 

The shoot out that I'm familiar with is sponsored by Sawlex.  That seems to be geared to the smaller operator.

Right now, its probably hard for anyone to move equipment.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, Donnie said the show was geared for the big players. Great big expensive equipment you'd need 3500 acres to pay for it, and by then worn out.  :D :D

Up here we have The Canadian Woodlands Forum, which is basically contractors working on crown land. It's pretty much funded by the big industrial players and government.

http://cwfcof.org

The Moncton Heavy Equipment Show is farm equipment and construction equipment. I have not been there in years, but seems to me Woodmizer would be at that show.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I saw one of the shootouts At Bangor,probaly 6-8 yeras ago before it was at Sawlex.I have no idea why it got moved,besides money.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!