iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3 point hitch sawmill

Started by Corley5, December 23, 2003, 05:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2583356238&category=57124
When I first saw this I figured it as another misguided misinformed someone calling a buzz saw a sawmill but no it really is a three point hitch sawmill and it looks to be factory made.  They're calling it an Utilizer but it looks suspiciously like a Belsaw to me.  Might be kinda handy.  Looks like it'd make a tractor a bit light on the front end though.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

dail_h

I saw one like it at The East Coast Sawmill and Logging Show a number of years ago,don't remember the price,but they were cutting crossties and pallet boards with it. Definately not a Belsaw,but kinda similar. From what I remember,it looked ok.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Stan

Gotta love that $998 shipping charge to my front door.  :D
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

shopteacher

Looks like the log has to be lifted awful high to get it up to the carriage. How hard would it be to run an outfit like that? Never been around a circle mill much but always found then to be quite intriguing.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

dail_h

They used the loader on the tractor to load the deck, then moved around and hooked up the pto. worked pretty good if you got a loader kinda of a pain without. Seems they recomended about 45 to 60 hp.
      Volume Discount At ER

Furby

Hey Stan,
It's only $618.74 to me, and I can save $15 if I want to pick it up at the terminal....... across town.  :D :D :D
However it does look like a cheap (somewhat) way to start milling.  ::)

Stan

Furby, y'all should have seen the trouble my little tractor had spoolin up a 6' bush hog. I think it would cost about $40,000  just turnin the blade up to cuttin speed.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Frickman

Last month I started a thread about that same brand mill I saw at an equipment auction. It looked just like the one on Ebay.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Fla._Deadheader

Have any of Y'all bid on that BACKHOE attachment he has ???  Talk about an easy set-up for a trailer. I'm too far, or I would be all over that ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Buzz-sawyer

I Havent bid...BUT sure wanted too!
A bit far even for me Harold...I have been scouring the net for pics, home made contraptions, and old school design for building what I absolutely NEED a log loader forwarder type trailer that will pick up 5-6k max....if anyone else wants to swap info I am game I will share all I got so far.....
Don
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Fla._Deadheader

Buzz, I want to put a boom set-up on the front of our trailer. No way to do it for the price of that Backhoe, even with shipping. I would drive across 3 or 4 states to get it. Why not copy the picture and save it for reference.

I found a place that sells forklifts, starting at $400.00. Even if its a hard floor, pallet loader for storage units, there is hydraulics, cylinders, and the lift frame can be welded to make the boom. Just need to fab up a swivel or pivot point. That might be our next purchase, next paycheck.  ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Buzz-sawyer

Harold
couple a weeks ago I was GIVEN free rampage to 15+ forklifts headed for the salvage yard...first thing I did was remove 5-6 12 volt hydraulic pupmp units then some valves....all had the masts on them ...only thing missing was forks.....also one motorless bobcat (hydraulic type)...now where to put it all at 40 dollars a ton!

bout the swivel point I am planning a 2ton truck wheel bearing assembly(using wheel as platform) moved by a hydraulic motor 360 deg.I am planning a trailer front mount also....
p.s I have alreadty copied pic of little hoe have dozens of em...knuckle booms old and new and homemade... ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Fla._Deadheader

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o  Think I'da got the Bobcat ;) ;)

Yer my kinda guy, savin all them pics.

Only thing I haven't figgered out is how to mount something for the swivel- pivot, using a wheel-bearing-housing.  THAT is where all the strain is, keeping it from swinging around and slappin ya up-side yer gourd :o :o

Thought about belts tightened around the brake drum, with the boom welded to a heavy, braced plate,  and having the housing bolted or welded fast. That's the only part that concerns me, holding the boom onto the swivel, and the swing.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Buzz-sawyer

How bout two opposing hydraulic cylinders hooked to the wheel  by roller chain...one pushes on way one the other...
 or just use the hydraulic brakes for positive stop and locking into position....with hydraulic rotation...
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

shopteacher

FDH
 There is a guy who sells bearings on ebay from time to time and has a great selection. I was about to buy some radial roller bearig from him for a jib crane, but got way laid from that project for the time being.  I believe you want the lift to swing about 360 or there about. These bearings were a flat ring with the rollers sticking out on the top and bottom allowing a 360 degree rotation and supporting a great deal of weight. They had a large dia.center where a large pin could go between the upper and lower bearing. I believe his seller name is Bearing King. Might be worth looking up.  
    I've been looking at that back hoe attachment for the front of my skid steer, aslo been thinking about that saw mill.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

dail_h

DH,
   You might take a look at BIG STICK type loaders. I got one here in the yard,I'll try yo get some pics and post on Sat. You can build these by using 2ton truck rearends,just cut it in half at the hog head. Use the wheel bearings,and hub. Turning can be done with hdy cylindersand cable wrapped around the hub.Lots of guys built pulp loaders this way where I grew up,and quite a few long log loaders.
      Volume Discount At ER

Buzz-sawyer

dail-h
I would also appreciate seeing your Big Stick loader...and hearing what has worked well for ya!
Don
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Fla._Deadheader

Yeah Dail. Love to see some pics. I don't believe I need 360° rotation, if I mount it against the head board of the trailer.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Frickman

I was just over at ebay and that sawmill is up to $1025.00 already, with two days two days to go. I think that I'd have to see the thing for myself before I bid that high on it. It looks like it will take a couple of gallons of rust reaper and alot of elbow grease just to get everything loose.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!