iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Official Forestry Forum Facebook Page

Started by Jeff, February 20, 2011, 01:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Earlier today, I found out that someone had created an unauthorized Forestry Forum page, even lifting our logo, but screwing it up on the resizing.  I had not planed on making a facebook page, but decided we better have an official one pointing here.

If you would, help us promote it and recommend it to your friends, so everyone knows that it is indeed the authorized page of the Forestry Forum.  What I did was create a feed that posts the latest topic to it, every 30 minutes. Maybe it will generate some interest with those that may have not found us yet.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Texas Ranger

Oh Kay, but how do I know I am on the right forum?  I see two messages from Jeff to take it off.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

If you see the message to take it off, then you are on the fake one.  Go to the first post in this thread and click on the facebook link there for the real one.

SwampDonkey

I "liked" the official page and the announcement.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bibbyman

I'm still trying to understand the internet.  I'm so back in the 90's.

Do I have to have a Facebook account to connect to see other Facebook stuff?

I've gone to Facebook or been drawn there to the login screen but when I start to make an account,  I don't like the info they are asking.  ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

trapper

Someone please reply to bibby's request.  I am in the same boat.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Jeff

Yes, you need to have a facebook account. :)

I think you can be pretty selective with what info you give to register.

inspectorwoody

If you do sign up, make sure all your privacy settings etc. are set to friends only etc. Other wise anyone and everyone can see your photos, profile information etc.

From time to time Facebook will make changes to settings so you have to be on the look out and make sure your setting is set to Friends only or how ever you wish to have it set.

It can be an interesting place to be at times.  :D

SwampDonkey

I would only tell'm what I want them to know Bib. Most of that signup stuff is probably like survey where they use it to match your interests and where your from and so forth to aid in searches and friend finding.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bibbyman

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 20, 2011, 07:34:28 PM
I would only tell'm what I want them to know Bib. Most of that signup stuff is probably like survey where they use it to match your interests and where your from and so forth to aid in searches and friend finding.

I'll look again but there are some required fields that I can see could lead to a lot of aggravation if not outright intrusion.

Someone suggested setting up an free e-mail account just for Facebook to dump junk.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

You can set your security/email settings within facebook so you get zero email, but its not default. You have to find it and change it.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I've set mine so no email comes from Facebook. The whole presentation of signing up and changing stuff is real confusing even to me. I don't do much with it anyway, I'm usually at my limit for waiting for stuff to load on dialup. :D

CX3

Dont be afraid of facebook.  They dont ask any information that you cant find from googling yourself already, or looking in the phone book
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Bibbyman

I don't go around googing at other people and I don't like them googing at me.  And I don't see any good reason to google myself.  ::)
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

You gave up lots Bib, the first day you signed on internet. :D ;)

Someone has to torment.

beenthere

I've been a facebook member for several years, and do not get but a rare email maybe once a month or less.  

But then, I rarely go to facebook for anything  --  but did to "like" the FF. 

(this "I like" stuff is so childish, almost makes me wanna  steve_smiley )

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Yea, but yer not in the same celeb status as say Britney, Lindsay and Bibby. ;)

Paul_H

Quote from: beenthere on February 20, 2011, 09:49:54 PM

But then, I rarely go to facebook for anything  --  but did to "like" the FF. 

(this "I like" stuff is so childish, almost makes me wanna  steve_smiley )

I found out yesterday that my other youtube account has been "liking" Hannah Montana,Justin Bieber and a whole bunch of "cute kitten" videos.
I had a talk with my two youngest today and discovered out it was my 8 year old and explained to her that I wasn't comfortable with that ::)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SwampDonkey

:D :D beenthere, Dang and Paul.......I Just saw where Dang had a like vote he didn't do on the unofficial site. It's aliens I tell ya, can't trust'm. :D

Buck

Be careful with the settings as discussed allready. Also steer away from the apps that will be offered....I tried em and now have one hell of a junkmail problem.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

mdvaden

Will check it out.

Just made a Facebook page to link with my redwoods page this week.

If you load photos over there in the album, be sure to end each photo caption with the website address leading to The Foresty Forum.

I add the http:// on all those.

I'm seeing some small extra traffic. Bet you get some too.

Jeff

I wont be allowing photos or posts on the forum facebook page. Only here. It contains a forum news feed and that's it. Its worked well so far, no reason to think it won't in the future. Besides, we must remain masters of our own domain and not offer it up to facebook or any other place.

Thank You Sponsors!