iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

electric wheel chair motor

Started by tjhammer, March 31, 2012, 11:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjhammer

I'm wondering if a 12v electric  wheel chair motor would have the power the move a 500lb saw head up and down the track while sawing lumber,I have a chance to acquire one,two motors and joy stick,would chain drive be ok?
tj
hammer

sparky1

do you have more info on the motor?? 
Shaun J

pyrocasto

It will. They are made to push 300+lb people around at decent speeds on variable terrain. It's much easier to push your carriage through a log. Mine works and my carriage is around 1000lbs.

Edit: Oh, and almost all your wheelchair motors are 24v, not 12. They will run fine on 12, but at half the speed and half the power. Still ok for power feed.

tjhammer

pyrocasto
I noticed their were two plug ins 24 volt is no problem is your mill chain drive
tj
hammer

tjhammer

sparky1
I don't know much about them the guy had what was left of a hovaround after a car run over it,all the wiring was there and I noticed the motors had brakes on both all for $20.00
hammer

sparky1

well for 20 bucks ya cant go wrong.  I spent that much on the mega millions last night! 8)  Dont know if i won anything or not yet.. but i know i didnt win the jackpot. :)
Shaun J

Brad_bb

It all depends on your gearing.  A dremel tool motor was used to lift a mini cooper.  The question is how fast do you want to lift it?  The speed at which you can lift it is a function of the gearing and the torque output of the motor.  Less torque means a sacrifice in speed and visa versa.  Your gear or pulley sizes must be sized appropriately.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

pineywoods

Them motors should work just fine on 12 volts, even they were designed for 24 v. My mill has a home-made autoclutch using one. Be aware that the internal brake works backwards. Apply power to release the brake. If that is a problem, take it apart and remove the brake disks and spring. The joystick controller is actually 2 independent controllers coupled to 1 stick. Those controllers are designed for 24 volt and may or may not work on 12 v.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Slingshot

I have posted this before but here is a Norwood Mill I put a wheelchair motor
on. They run fine on 12 volts but the controller needs 24 volts to run.
I sold the mill before I used it very much but the motor ran the mill with plenty
of power and speed.  (the little stop glitches are digital and not in the actual running)

That is a sassafras log I am sawing there that came from behind my house. There is some interest on sassafras on another thread. I have another almost this size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImwGDHLBC_U&context=C4c0af75ADvjVQa1PpcFOl3E3buMUNP8Z5bwkpioHtRacdOEshucQ=

pyrocasto

Quote from: tjhammer on March 31, 2012, 12:12:14 PM
pyrocasto
I noticed their were two plug ins 24 volt is no problem is your mill chain drive
tj

One is for brakes, and the other power. My mill is chain drive. One chain down one side ran over a sprocket on the wheel chair motor. I used to use 12v to cut, and 24v to return, but now have upgraded to variable speed 24v cut. Much nicer to have.

Thank You Sponsors!