iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cpap machines

Started by redbeard, May 04, 2012, 03:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

just a reminder to keep your hoses and filters changed and cleaned. Also if you have water resevoir keep it clean, I wash mine with hydgregyn peroxide, there have been some cases reported of mold causing some health issues. Any tips on your methods or ideas appreciated. Thanks.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

sawguy21

Karen uses distilled water in the humidifier, otherwise it cruds up quickly.  She wears the full mask and needs to clean it regularly with soapy water, skin oils build up on the seal resulting in discomfort and leaks. Then I get no sleep either. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

Distilled water is what you should be using.A gallon last me a month? Never really kept track. I just opened one up last night. Maybe I will keep track this time. I wear the full face one too. I sleep so much better. I use to "sleep" all night before but wake up tired just about every morning.Doctor asked me if my bed looked like a train wreck in the morning? I told him how do you know that? Wife is sleeping better too. I use to do some silly stuff in the night. Doctor said I was an interesting patient.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

martyinmi

I started using one in February. I didn't think there was anything wrong with me as far as being tired all the time. I figured it was just part of the aging process thing. After my sleep study they told me I had 141 apnea s in 7 hours, 34 of them were for 30(or 45?-can't remember for sure) seconds or more, so apparently there was an issue I wasn't aware of. I have the appliance that just fits over my nose, as well as the chin strap to keep my mouth closed. It's working well for me as long as the chin strap doesn't slip off my pointed head and allow my mouth to open up.
   My FIL has been wearing one for a few years now and he only cleans his about 2 x/ year. I've only cleaned mine once since February. Sounds like it's important to do it more often.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Left Coast Chris

I've been using the one over the nose for over two years and sleep much better with more energy.  I have only cleaned it two or three times but always use distilled water.  I did replace the mask once when the nossel broke.   It has really made a difference in getting the min REM sleep that is needed.

The next thing I am attempting to try is loosing weight.   Supposedly some don't need the CPAP after weight loss.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

MHineman

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on July 09, 2012, 10:22:20 PM
The next thing I am attempting to try is loosing weight.   Supposedly some don't need the CPAP after weight loss.

My wife has used a CPAP machine for about 10 years.  3 years ago she lost about 100 pounds.  A sleep study showed she could lower the pressure a little, but the Doctor recommended against changing it.

I agree that for many people just losing 20 or 30 pounds may allow you to get off the CPAP.  It's almost always good to lose a little weight, so go for it.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

thecfarm

My weight is good,but I still need the machine. The Doctor and the tech was kinda surprised I needed Cpap.I feel alot better now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Misfit

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on July 09, 2012, 10:22:20 PM

For what it's worth - I used a CPAP machine every night for years when my weight was fluctuating between 275-285. I  changed my diet in August of last year and now I'm down to 225, heading for my goal of 200. I haven't had to use the CPAP for months.
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

thecfarm

I'm not over weight at all. I just have sleeping problems. I heard more than once,most guys your size don't need one. Has helped me and my wife ALOT.

ely

i have my sleep study tommorow night, so then i will know.

thecfarm

I had to go twice. Once with no Cpap and than with one.

levans

Just a little FYI there are two types of sleep apnea one is obstructive, caused when the throat closes up blocking the airway, the second is central where your brain forgets to tell you to breath. This is very simplified.
I started out with obstructive using a bipap machine after a few years it started to seem like the machine wasn't working any more, after another sleep study it was determined I had central sleep apnea.
The new Bipap machine acts like a respirator if you stop breathing  it breathes for you. I couldn't  believe how great I slept after getting the new machine. The only problem is the machine for central apnea was around $8,000.00.
I hope this helps someone out   

kderby

Look at the age of the users responding here.  This technology was not available to Grand-Pa.  I am 51 and the CPAP makes a big difference in my life.  The up front cost is an issue with the sleep lab and the machine.  Now I am better rested and my wife is much happier. 

I bought a second machine off craigslist.  I keep one at bedside and one for travel.  We just completed two weeks camping with an inverter supplying the power.

Yes, I need to lose weight.  I used to snore and stop breathing fifty pounds ago.

Kderby

Busy Beaver Lumber

This machine literally saved my life. I was feeling increasingly tired week by week and woke up about every hour on the hour. After a nights so called sleep is still felt exhausted. Friends would tease me because i would fall asleep sitting up in the middle of the day or begin to snore at a meeting, no disrespect meant.

The final straw was when I literally fell asleep behind the wheel of a car, after a full nights rest and after only driving for less than 20 minutes. Thank God I had a friend in the car with me that noticed me doze of an reacted quickly or i would have had one nasty accident as I was moving at 70mph when i dozen off.

Sleep study showed that I stopped breathing 105 times in two hours, with the longest lapse being almost one minute and 45 seconds in length. Never came close to achieving REM and left untreated my condition could be fatal.

The CPAP made all the difference in the world. I sleep like a hibernating bear, don't snore any more, and have tons of energy each and every day.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

thecfarm

Good for you. When I go for my check up,there are questions on paper just like what you was going through.

Al_Smith

There's been conflicting reports over the years concerning sleep apnea and being overweight .It was first thought that being over weight caused the conditioned but now according to some just vica versa .In case nobody ever noticed medical experts never agree on anything .

My wife has a condition called lympedema which is the lymphatic systems inability to control the lymphapic fluids .There is no known cure .However while not being a medical person I speculate there is a direct connection between her sleep apnea and the condition .

Try as I might I cannot convince her to use her CPAP machine and I doubt seriously if her condition will change untill she does .

kderby

Al,

Support her the best you can.  Accepting the device can be tough.  The use of anti-anxiety pills might help.  Not a lifetime supply, just a few nights of getting to sleep and getting the a good rest and her resistance will decline.  I don't like "popping pills" but they can be an effective tool. I still struggle sometimes with the mask.  My wife prompts me to put it on (as only wives can do) :D.  The net benefit is worth the struggle.

It might really make a huge difference in her life if the cpap can serve its purpose.  She can do it for the family if she will not do it for herself.  In the old days people with apnea were exhausted then the health declined and they were gone.  In the really old days people did not have glasses and they rode in chariots.  Now we have newfangled eye surgery and we ride in pick-ups.  Modern life is good.  Keep on her about how to keep living it!

Good Luck   

Kderby

LeeB

Went for the first sleepstudy 2 days ago and go back for the folowup tommorow. I tried the nose only mask first and it did not work at all. The mouth and nose mask worked better for me. I didn't think I would be able to sleep with a mask on but it wasn't that bad. I don't look forward to wearing it but I have all the same troubles as Busy Beaver and they are starting to take a toll on my work and family life. Gotta do what I gotta do.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

kderby

I'll cheer you on!

I have already used the example above.  When glasses were invented they were expensive, awkward and unusual.  Imagine life if so many people did not have glasses.  My wife asked me to find her glasses as she had dropped them and could not see to pick them up.  I use reading glasses but have never dealt with poor eye sight like that.  Glasses make life better for millions of people.

Some people get a good nights rest.  They don't snore.  For others, the cost of not sleeping wears on our work, family and life.  Now there is technology allowing us to to sleep well.  Things get better for the worker, his family and his life.  Wear the CPAP.  Enjoy the journey.  The future keeps getting brighter!

Carry on LeeB!

kderby

LeeB

Going back in tonight for the second half of the study.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Busy Beaver Lumber

I am happy for you Lee. Believe me when I tell you this machine saved my life and made a huge difference in how alert and how much energy I have every day. Whereas I used to wake up a half dozen times each night, not realizing I was fighting for my next breath, I now sleep soundly through the entire night and wake up feeling refreshed as one should.

By the way, i had difficulty with just the nasal one two and use the over the mouth and nose mask. At first you would think it would be very uncomfortable and difficult to get used to, but I dont find it that much of an intrusion at all. The CPAP normally comes with a 4 foot hose. I would suggest getting the longer 8 foot hose. Gives you a little more wiggle room and freedom of movement.

Best Wishes and Sleep Well my friend
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

LeeB

OK, been on the machine for about a week now. Can maybe tell a little difference. At least I'm sleeping the whole night through without having to get for a bathroom run. I don't seem to be sleeping much longer, but what I am getting seems better and I haven't had this many dreams in years. Still not used to the mask completely, although it is easier to wear than I thought it would be. Sure is frustrating when your nose itches though. I run the humidifier on 3 but still seem to get awfullly dried out. Will that get better? Makes my snuses funky too. Will that get better or stop? I still feel drowsy about mid afternoon. I suppose the rest of the time is better though. Lindy says my snoring while I sleep has pretty much stopped. She's sleeping better at least.

Ljohnsaw

I started with a over-the-nose cup and did not need the chin strap to keep my mouth closed.  I got a bad sore under my nose that went away in about two weeks.  I did not want to get into the humidifier thing (too much maintenance) so I had a morning bloody nose goop for about a month - progressively less and less.  At a year, I switched to the nasal "pillows" that are basically two really soft funnels that fit the end of your nose (comes with three different sizes).  Took a week or two to build up some tolerance to them but I like them better - a little more freedom of movement.  Had the CPAP now for 2-1/2 years.  No more falling asleep if I stop moving during the day - really dangerous for driving!

I noticed the ability to actually think again after about two nights.  I'm really good at math and I could barely do simple math in my head before my CPAP - a week into it I could calculate faster than my boss on a calculator.

Leeb,
I am in Sacramento so the air is fairly dry.  When I went visiting in AZ, the dry air gave me a bloody nose again the first night or two then I was acclimated.  I didn't notice where you are but give it a couple more weeks and you might want to wean yourself off the humidifier - one less thing to mess with.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

rooster 58

REading this I realize I should try to go back on cpap. I was diagnosed with apnea and was on cpap for a month or so at the end of 2007. Then my wife and I split up and I was too stressed to stay on it. Now, years later I see in myself the same symptoms that are described here. Unfortunately I do not have insurance, nor can I afford it at this time. I'm hopeful that will change soon

kderby

I am happy to see this thread plugging along.  Most people with sleep apnea may not know about it. For example: low oxygen can damage your heart while you "sleep/snore/gasp, because that muscle does not rest. 

My "snoremaster" is a poster child for another benefit of modern medicine.  I sleep better and thus i work better.  My wife sleeps with me and not in the other room.  I sometimes struggle with the awkward appliance on my face.  Without the machine I get a "snore" throat and I become a sleep deprived zombie. 

I am here to cheer on the others that find it is a solution!

I picked up an extra machine from craigslist.  Now, that is my travel machine and the other stays installed at my bedside.  From a medical supply the machines are expensive.  The used machine was not nearly so expensive.

Kderby

LeeB

Finding a second machine sounds like a good idea. Hauling the only one I have around the world with me is a real pain. Be nice to have one I can leave on the rig.

Thank You Sponsors!