iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily carnage thread

Started by mike_belben, July 23, 2018, 11:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

her I am picturing the trail fix after that pin fails to get it home so I could fix it. Ahhh the four wheeling side of me is always so strong :)

Probably a little more involved than my normal ratchet straps and vise grips :)

mike_belben

Good piece of hickory and make for the trailer. 

Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: barbender on November 27, 2018, 11:32:06 PM
Kiko, that Ponsse processor you used t service is up here cutting away still. Pushing 30K hours,
The first Ponsse Ergo I ran had 22k hours on a non working hour meter when I started, I ran it for 3.5 years adding a few more thousand hours to the meter. Machine got traded in and auctioned off and last I knew was still working daily (over 2 years since I ran it now).  Was the original motor, trans, pumps. Center pins had been done, one axle had been replaced and the processing head had been replaced.  Sure the machine was a constant breakdown struggle but you cant really blame the machine with 25k+ hours of hammering wood thru it.

barbender

Kiko, I agree on those high temps. What surprises me with this engines longevity is it was overheated when it was down there, I don't remember what had to be repaired but the head had to come off. I know keeping the hydraulic temps down in the summer was a real challenge as well. You don't see a lot of conventional equipment make it to those hours up here either, but I guess everyone might quit paying attention after 10K hours😊 It seems 8-10k hours is fairly typical engine life on most logging equipment. The Mercedes 906 in the Ponsse machines has been a very good motor for us, I think the boss would put those in everything if he could. 
Too many irons in the fire

kiko

I remember that tear down, I was not directly involved in that one. Jeff was working there at that time I believe.  I once referred to one of the Ponsse trainers as an operator . He was offended.   He then showed me how to remove and replace the main cylinder on the forwarder using straps tied off to the bunks and himself as the counter weight. Trainer from then on. The Mercedes is a good engine ,  those individual pump units can be pain, and finding someone around here to do an ecu replacement/program .  

kiko

Also I think I remember the center joint failure.  I believe Ponsse techs traveled from Wisconsin to take that on.

barbender

Unless there were two (sure could've been😁) the one failure occurred up in Wisconsin after they left Georgia. It actually wasn't the center bearing or pins, the frame just collapsed. All of Stanley's monster loads of SYP finally caught up with it. Stanley sold the machine to the guy they were contracting to in WI, who rebuilt it. It's still over there as far as I know. Stanley was homesick and headed back for Georgia. 

kiko

There were two then. There was also the forgot to unplug the computer before welding incident. I thankfully was only involved in the aftermath.

brianJ

Propane hot water heater was replaced several months ago.   Did the swap out with new plumbing too.   Now leaking at one of the connections.   Wonder what I will see when I take it apart.

kiko

I know little about plumbing. But I do know that if the water was already hot you would not need to heat it.

Grandpa

By golly Kiko you are practically a jeenyus.  ;D

sawguy21

I have a thought on that but will bite my tongue ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

kiko

So I came up with a change of plans. I found a whole front frame for less than it would cost me to repair this one.  Just got to go get one state over.

Ken

Not really carnage but still wasn't a great day.  Although it wasn't very steep half tracks on slippery ground can give an inexperienced operator a ride in a hurry.  Operator had a bit of a headache and only one bolt was broke on bunk extender.  Could have been a lot worse

Lots of toys for working in the bush

barbender

Not good! I haven't flipped one yet, I'm actually surprised by how far they can be pushed. We only run tracks under the bunks, so I've never experienced a full on sidehill slide!

woodmaker

I have never done it with a feller-buncher, but had my share of times with an excavator. Usually feels like a 25 ton skateboard,but with less control
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

snowstorm

todays most miserable project. replace a starter f550 6.0. the first 2 bolts started hard but they came. the top 1 is a real pain. take the inner fender out so you can see it. a 24" extension and just when it should have started it broke. i bought a nice set of mac left hand drills and ez outs. the drills cut real good. going to let it set over nite maybe santas elves will get the bolt out 

mike_belben

That sounds like an aggravating day.  Sorry man.
Praise The Lord

snowstorm

drilled and tapped the broken bolt not much left of it after drilling. put the starter on turn key crash bang wirl dose that twice then cranks fine. i never buy starters or alt. from napa or carquest. i always have mine fixed. but he was busy so i got it from carquest. they found another one and will be delivering it. we will see if this one is any better 

dsroten

A guy local to me recently had the starter on his 6.0 bite the bullet.  After trying rebuilt and new starters from both Napa and Carquest (4 different starters in all) with no satisfaction he bought a Motorcraft from Ford.  Problem solved.

Oliver05262

I'm helping an older guy put a clutch in his JD 4020 tractor. While the flywheel is off anyway, it is time to replace the rear seal. All was routine until we found this:
<
The seal retainer was also cracked. He's had the tractor for a long time. This was done before he got it, so we worked with it the best we could. It'll buff out.>
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Don P

I've spent the last week working on the skidsteer, new spindle bearings and seal, some deferred maintenance. 4 flats so took the tires in for tubes, when I went to pick them up, apparently they have enough nails out of them to make a recycling run :D. Got it put back together, loaded and brought it home behind the Ranger... uh yeah the chevy is headless at the moment, 1st gear up and over the knob. made it home and yup, ran over a rock sumwhere and bent a rim on the trailer, pshhh, as we say around here way too often, "you'll have some of that on these big jobs" ::).

Resonator

After 7 years and many, many, tons of firewood, the engine on my splitter is kaput. It ground to a screeching halt and seized. I can honestly say that machine has paid for itself at least twice producing firewood over the years I have owned it. Luckily, I also have a pressure washer that has 190cc engine with about 10 hours on it for an engine swap. (The water pump on the washer got kind of cold one night). 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

mike_belben

I have the identical splitter branded by huskee with a 13hp honda retrofit.  Its pretty decent. Traded for a cub cadet kid tractor that i got for a set of 8 lug 19.5 breadvan wheels that i got for a few phone calls to make a sale of some machine i didnt own.  So none of it owes me! 

No cash added is my favorite kinda purchase. 
Praise The Lord

GRANITEstateMP

Holy smokes Mike!  I can't remember how I paid for my iced coffee today (thats a lie, it was spare change in the cup holder)!  Did you out all that on the bill of sale? ;D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Thank You Sponsors!