iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Upgraded My Truck

Started by SawyerTed, December 21, 2018, 04:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

Finally, after 6 months of struggling with this decision, I've done it.

I've been using a 2016 Chevrolet K1500 Silverado Double Cab as my daily driver and sawmill truck.  It's a great truck but I bought the truck before the sawmill business developed.  It just doesn't have the towing capacity and is "too nice" to be a sawmill truck.  It is an LT but the only thing that prevents it from bring an LTZ is the cloth seats. It is the 5.3 liter and has done all I've asked of it but I'm not comfortable operating at or near the limits.

An upgrade in capacity is needed to haul logs, deliver lumber and pull the sawmill.  Shopping for anything used in the 3/4 or one ton size is crazy.  Trucks with 150,000 miles are going for as much as or more than what I paid new for the Silverado.  Of course I'm comparing apples and oranges moving up in capacity and switching to diesel power.

Looking at new, Chevy and Ford just didn't offer a ton truck in the mid range of features.  At least all I saw were spartan work trucks/fleet type trucks or they were top of the line with leather seats, carpet, entertainment systems and navigation - too nice for a sawmill truck that doubles as everyday driver. 

The local Ram dealer had a range of options (kind of mid range) that fit my needs/wants.  I've owned half ton Chevys and Fords and never really thought about Dodge/Ram.  This 3500 cab chassis with the Cummins diesel and 4.10 gear will handle all I need to do plus it is nice enough that my wife will ride in it Somehow that became a business decision I wasn't allowed to make and I own the company!  :D

The bed is being custom built.   It is parked in the carport to keep other vehicles away from it.  A sort of safety cage I suppose.

This is the cab

This is the Harsh 8 ton dump hoist.  Electric over hydraulic with power up and down.

Here is the bed prior to finish, still has to have some welds completed, the window in the headboard cut out and the gooseneck cover reconfigured flush.  Obviously it will be painted as well.  You can see parts of the receiver hitch yet to be installed.  It will have LED lighting.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

sawguy21

You are going to enjoy it! I have had my Ram ctd for nine years, it will pull anything I need to move.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

samandothers

Nice looking truck, even if it is a Ram!  ;D

You building the bed?

olcowhand

Quote from: SawyerTed on December 21, 2018, 04:10:19 PM
Finally, after 6 months of struggling with this decision, I've done it.

I've been using a 2016 Chevrolet K1500 Silverado Double Cab as my daily driver and sawmill truck.  It's a great truck but I bought the truck before the sawmill business developed.  It just doesn't have the towing capacity and is "too nice" to be a sawmill truck.  It is an LT but the only thing that prevents it from bring an LTZ is the cloth seats. It is the 5.3 liter and has done all I've asked of it but I'm not comfortable operating at or near the limits.

An upgrade in capacity is needed to haul logs, deliver lumber and pull the sawmill.  Shopping for anything used in the 3/4 or one ton size is crazy.  Trucks with 150,000 miles are going for as much as or more than what I paid new for the Silverado.  Of course I'm comparing apples and oranges moving up in capacity and switching to diesel power.

Looking at new, Chevy and Ford just didn't offer a ton truck in the mid range of features.  At least all I saw were spartan work trucks/fleet type trucks or they were top of the line with leather seats, carpet, entertainment systems and navigation - too nice for a sawmill truck that doubles as everyday driver.

The local Ram dealer had a range of options (kind of mid range) that fit my needs/wants.  I've owned half ton Chevys and Fords and never really thought about Dodge/Ram.  This 3500 cab chassis with the Cummins diesel and 4.10 gear will handle all I need to do plus it is nice enough that my wife will ride in it Somehow that became a business decision I wasn't allowed to make and I own the company!  :D

The bed is being custom built.   It is parked in the carport to keep other vehicles away from it.  A sort of safety cage I suppose.

This is the cab

This is the Harsh 8 ton dump hoist.  Electric over hydraulic with power up and down.

Here is the bed prior to finish, still has to have some welds completed, the window in the headboard cut out and the gooseneck cover reconfigured flush.  Obviously it will be painted as well.  You can see parts of the receiver hitch yet to be installed.  It will have LED lighting.
SWEET! And I'm a GM guy. Make sure we get to see the finished product.
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

SawyerTed

I wish I had the tools to build the bed!  I've got the skills but that's a big job to tackle.  Most of my fabrication tools are geared to Ag repair and would fall a little short of large scale fab work. Plus time is a factor as well as DOT inspection.  

I will post finished pics next week when I take final delivery.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

hopm

I was very fortunate to land in a low mile (32k) F450 dually, 4wd, with the 7.3. It also was a cab and chassis. I put a flatbed on it.

I thought I had owned a truck before....I got a truck now. I know what you mean about pushing the limits and it's kinda scary  when you realize you are. I feel MUCH safer for myself and for others on the road in this truck than I ever did with my F150. I cringe when I think of some of the stupid loads I put on that old truck.  

3 things I have decided I will make every effort to keep available at all times:
Diesel for towing
4wd
and a flatbed

Enjoy the new ride!!!

SawyerTed

After 6 months of studying this, I know I would go back to Chevrolet for a half ton or 3/4 ton.  It's just what I like.  Fords and Rams are fine trucks but a Chevrolet is just what I like in a pickup truck.

The Duramax just didn't measure up in longevity or capacity in the ton trucks and the Chevys didn't have the package I liked.  Ford was too expensive in something near what Ram offered.  I'm not sold on V8 diesels either.  

In my mind if I could have a Ford cab, a Cummins engine, a Ram frame and an Allison transmission that would be the perfect truck.

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Resonator

Nice truck, that will get some work done!  
I like the steel bed too, especially having a solid headboard to give a little extra protection, just in case you have to do a "brake check' with a load of wood! Are you going to have strap winches mounted on it too?
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

SawyerTed

I'm undecided on the strap winches.  I'm reading the FMCSA requirements for securing cargo so my decision will be based on what I learn.  The fabricator has no problem adding them later.  

Up to now I've been using chains and ratchet binders to secure logs on my trailer and ratchet straps to secure banded stacks of lumber.  The FMCSA rules make the straps I've been using questionable. Chains are marked grade 70 so I believe these will continue to be fine.

Bruno of NH

Like the truck
It will be set up great for the sawmill business. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Brian w

That's a good looking truck. I have a 98 ram I have been thinking about doing some up grades to it. T old truck has fairly low miles and it is 4x4 and run's great. I have been thinking about adding a flat bed and new dually axles and use it for hauling my welder and stuff to the woods when I need it.anyone know how difficult the axle swap on both axles is. Seems like the rear would be simple just don't know on the front.

olcowhand

Sawyer Ted,
We know I'm about the dumbest guy on this site, so type slow when you respond. I'm noticing that the Gooseneck Ball is about 5' in front of the back edge of the bed. Will your trailer "corner" with the Ball that far forward? Just asking....

Resonator

QuoteI'm undecided on the strap winches.  I'm reading the FMCSA requirements for securing cargo so my decision will be based on what I learn.
When I drove flatbed, 4" was the standard size strap winch mounted to the semi trailers. I always carried an assortment of my own straps and portable winches (I could never have too many ), and prefered straps instead of chains on lumber, and prefered portable winches I could tighten with a winch bar. The black winch one on the left is designed to clamp onto the frame under the trailer deck by tightening the two bolts. (They also make ones that can be welded directly to the trailer). The winch on the right drops into any stake pocket where you want an extra strap. The strap shown is a "shorty" I had cut down from a full length strap. It is rolled with the hook out, so I could hook it on one side and throw it, unrolling itself flat over the load. It is just long enough to reach over a 4' high load, and get a few wraps around the winch spool. That way I could tie down a load fairly quickly, without fighting 20' of extra strap.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

mike_belben

FMCSA has adopted detailed requirements for the securement of the following commodities: logs; dressed lumber; metal coils; paper rolls; concrete pipe; intermodal containers; automobiles, light trucks and vans; heavy vehicles, equipment and machinery; flattened or crushed vehicles; roll-on/roll-off containers; and large boulders. During public meetings concerning the development of the model regulations, participants said that these commodities cause the most disagreement between industry and enforcement agencies as to what is required for proper securement.
393.116 - Logs
The rules for the transportation of logs are applicable to the transportation of almost all logs with the following exceptions:

393.118 - Dressed Lumber and Similar Building Products
The rules in this section apply to the transportation of bundles of dressed lumber, packaged lumber, building products such as plywood, gypsum board or other materials of similar shape. Lumber or building products that are not bundled or packaged must be treated as loose items and transported in accordance with the general cargo securement rules. For the purpose of this section, the term " bundle " refers to packages of lumber, building materials or similar products which are unitized for securement as a single article of cargo.

Cargo Securement Rules | Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Praise The Lord

SawyerTed

Mike that's exactly the FMCSA site I'm looking at and the Driver's Handbook I'm reading. It addresses logs and lumber specifically.

SawyerTed

Quote from: olcowhand on December 22, 2018, 05:39:47 PM
Sawyer Ted,
We know I'm about the dumbest guy on this site, so type slow when you respond. I'm noticing that the Gooseneck Ball is about 5' in front of the back edge of the bed. Will your trailer "corner" with the Ball that far forward? Just asking....
I don't have the trailer yet but trailers are available with swing clearance adequate for this truck and hitch placement.  The bed is a 9 1/2' bed the truck is a 60" cab to axle frame.  That means the bed behind the axle is more or less 4 1/2'.  So if the gooseneck hitch is placed centered or slightly ahead of the axle, the clearance required isn't much different than a pickup with an 8' bed.

SawyerTed

Here is the truck with the bed installed.

I will be adding "everyday" standards once the weather improves.  It is raining heavily today so no standards and no hauling today.

olcowhand

sawguy21

8) That is one good looking truck.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

coalsmok

Got to admit I'm a little bit jealous. That is a nice truck.

Southside

You do realize that the first scratch is going to be worse that hitting a backstop for the first time right?   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

Paint on the bed got scratched the third day I had it.  It was a little painful but I made some money off the logs I hauled so the pain was blunted considerably. 

Thank You Sponsors!